Premed 101 Forums

Non-Trad Age and Surgical Specialty

I am wondering if anyone, who has has insight or experience in a surgical residency selection process, can comment on how an applicant’s mature age is taken into consideration?

For context, I’ll be in my mid-30s when I’m applying for CARMS and I’m currently aiming for a surgical specialty but I’m concerned that my mature age will be held against me (however wrong that may be but just being attuned to how it works behind closed doors).

tldr; How does mature age (mid 30s) affect the surgical residency selection process?

It shouldn't be taken into consideration. Just like being a woman shouldn't be taken into consideration. That being said, what you're asking is irrelevant. Do you want to be a surgeon or not? If you do, then apply for the specialty that you want. If someone on pre-med 101 responds saying that they don't prefer older applicants, are you going to believe them and not shoot your shot and apply?

You can't modify your age. If you feel that you're not cut out to be a surgeon because you're in your mid 30s, then that's on you not on the surgical residency selection process. You're the one who has to decide if you still want to apply or not. There will be some people who are in their mid-thirties who apply and get positions and there will be other people who are in their mid 30s and apply and don't get positions. The same is true for people in their late 20s or mid-20s or early 30s...

It doesn't matter.
They could ask you about it to challenge you.
But age, young or 'mature', is only a number.
Both situations, being younger or older, have advantages and disadvantages.
I personally know 4 residents in competitive fields (gen sx, ER, anasthesia, ortho) that went into CaRms at > 40 y.o. and matched.

Best of luck !:)

As someone who considered surgery and ended up non-surgical in their 30s, something to consider is your life outside of work. residency is busy, but some can be extremely busy and take up your life. It is a different ball game then med school, both with responsibility, burn-out, and lack of sleep and time for things/people you enjoy. Think deep about these things I would say, but ultimately up to you how you want your life to be. 5-7 years has its toll. Best of luck on your CaRMS journey.

• 2 weeks later...

I think depends on the program. For example I noticed during my undergrad that Ottawa med seems to have an unwritten cap on “mature” students whereas the age diversity may be more widespread in other schools. I was privy to information that somewhat confirmed my suspicion. 

For residency, I would not be surprised that programs will have all sorts of biases, but I know enough older surg residents (including myself) to say you’ll probably be fine. Own it but don’t be annoying about it, if that makes sense.