Premed 101 Forums

bad marks med school/optom

anonymoususer

No judgement pls. I am in desperate need of advice and help. Im in my second year uwaterloo. For context i was a very high achieving high 90s highschool student. First year was not good due to extenuating circumstance (extremely ill) from an immediate family member. Second year i have gotten diagnosed with multiple chronic heath conditions which is affecting my ability to study, and it is negatively affecting my grades. As soon as i found out about this i have applied for accessibility but they are not getting back to me and there are no immediate resources or support i can get this late in the semester and i acknowledge that. I wanted to do medical school/optometry. I am seriously thinking of dropping out this semester because i am not able to fix my health and study a full course load at the same time but i am not sure. Im not able to find alot of resources online which is why i wanted to get experience or insight from other people who mightve had bad grades but still got into med school. If i were even redo my failed grades, what are all/any alternate non traditional ways to get into med/optom school? If i am not accepted locally? Pls lmk any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! Try not to stress yourself out. There are many ways to work in healthcare and school will always be there! You can always go abroad if you feel like you want to do that. I know people who have done MPH then got into med school, ppl who did physio then dental, they'res many ways to get there. Just get your health sorted out first then get back on track! Find out if you can drop without it affecting your GPA.