Premed 101 Forums

What EMR does UofManitoba use?

7 hours ago, teeezyyy said:

Hello!

Fellow M4 from Alberta trying to figure out what EMR the various hospitals use in Winnipeg as part of figuring out my rank list. If you're familiar with this, please let me know :)

I did an elective there. They have 2 teaching hospitals: St. Boniface is exclusively electronic using te Sunrise Clinical Manager (SCM) system - similar to Sask. But at the HSC, it's a mix of SCM (tests, imaging, emerg notes) and paper charts everywhere else.

22 hours ago, teeezyyy said:

Hello!

Fellow M4 from Alberta trying to figure out what EMR the various hospitals use in Winnipeg as part of figuring out my rank list. If you're familiar with this, please let me know :)

Crazy that which EMR would influence your rank list over things like physical location lol.

My advice for ranking is to rank the places closest to the people who are your supports and then after that based on program size and educational opportunity... EMR would be way down the list.

On 2/1/2024 at 10:08 PM, bearded frog said:

Crazy that which EMR would influence your rank list over things like physical location lol.

My advice for ranking is to rank the places closest to the people who are your supports and then after that based on program size and educational opportunity... EMR would be way down the list.

Honestly, if a place had paper charting it would actually have influenced my ROL

5 hours ago, Supervenience said:

Honestly, if a place had paper charting it would actually have influenced my ROL

LOL same here. For certain specialties, it doesn't matter as much, but paper charts are hellish for the charting-heavy fields.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by EMRs but I've seen too many errors happen on paper-based system that it's become distressing :v

In my training I used paper charts, Cerner, Meditech and Epic.

Paper was pretty painful. I remember writing out insulin sliding scales out literally in the orders page
"0-4 OJ

4-8 Nil

8-10 ...

10-12 ...

12-14 ...

14-16 ...

16-18 ...

20+ ... and call MD"

Imagine doing that every admission for people with the diabeetus. I probably wouldn't change my top choice rank list, but it'd probably play a bigger role in deciding out the mid-lower parts of the rank list where I didn't do an elective anyway there.