Premed 101 Forums

Transfer Questions

I have a few questions regarding transfers during residency (assume transfer would occur between two moderately competitive 5-year specialties). My understanding is that there are 3 ways to possibly transfer which are the national transfer process, direct transfer, and applying through the second iteration of CaRMS. Are direct transfers only possible within the same institution/location? Does anyone have experience with the national transfer process? If going through the national transfer process, is there a benefit to reaching out to PDs from the specialty one is hoping to transfer into before the transfer process begins?

10 hours ago, peaberry said:

Are direct transfers only possible within the same institution/location?

I believe Alberta has a process where you can transfer between U of A and U of Calgary separate from the national transfer process. There might be something similar within Ontario or Quebec. Otherwise all the schools have agreed that the PGME route is the only option to make it fair to both programs and people requesting transfers.

10 hours ago, peaberry said:

If going through the national transfer process, is there a benefit to reaching out to PDs from the specialty one is hoping to transfer into before the transfer process begins?

Perhaps, it's not like CaRMS where everyone is an option and they rank, basically if a program has a vacancy, the process will say here are X, Y, and Z who are interested in transferring to your program, and they can take or leave the applicants. If you have a connection than it would likely help your chances. I don't know if there is any benefit to talking to the PD of your local program, if you're looking to transfer elsewhere, unless they really like you and can reach out on your behalf to other programs?