Premed 101 Forums

UofT GPA vs. McMaster GPA

Guest Jixe

"In 2002, the average GPA was 3.82 [by U of T's calculation]; undergraduates averaged 3.88, and graduate students, 3.56. In 2003, the average GPA was 3.85.

Source: U of T's LCME Accreditation Paper" - Quoted from FAQ Thread.

Is that 3.88 undergraduate GPA by UofT's calculation (whereby 3 full year courses are removed if applying for admission after undergrad)? If so, McMaster's average GPA is pretty good for not having any formula whatsoever and being a 3.88.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi,

Don't forget a couple of factors that differ between the two schools re: their selection processes. For one, McMaster has been receiving many more applications than has UofT, for the past few years. Two, McMaster has recently increased the proportion of the applicant file score in favour of GPA. Therefore, given these factors, i.e., that the two schools are selecting from two different applicant pools and with different methods (especially if McMaster is placing more weight than UofT on GPA), it could be plausible that McMaster would select a subset of students with higher GPAs.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I'm not sure what you mean by "pretty good", given that average GPA of accepted applicants is not a competition! After all, any medical school can choose to have whatever average GPA they want, by choosing their incoming class appropriately. That is there are enough applicants that they could choose to have a 4.0 GPA if they wanted.

"In 2002, the average GPA was 3.82 [by U of T's calculation]; undergraduates averaged 3.88, and graduate students, 3.56. In 2003, the average GPA was 3.85.

Source: U of T's LCME Accreditation Paper" - Quoted from FAQ Thread.

Could someone tell me is that 3.88 is the average GPA factoring in their GPA formula of removing courses?

Guest scrubbed

Briefly,

I don't have an official answer, but I think that it stands to reason that it is the GPA with the courses removed.

I don't think if the admissions' office would go through the trouble of calculating before and after GPA if they were just going to use the after GPA for admissions. Perhaps they see what the lowest courses are, drop them, and then calculate the GPA.

If this matter is pressing for you, then you should contact admissions for an official answer.

Archived