Premed 101 Forums

Question regarding shadowing

Guest druggist

Guest druggist

Hello!

Just a quick question. Should my experience shadowing (OR - 1 day, ICU - rounds, ER - 4 nights: different docs) be added to my meds app, and if so, where?

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Druggist

Guest turtle

i shadowed an obstetrician/perinatologist for a week & included it in my application under "other" on the sketch...alternatively, i suppose you could put it under "extracurriculars". But, I would definitely include it!

turtle

Guest MDSMelissa

I think you should definately include shadowing in your applications. This experience at the undergraduate level is really useful for getting insight into whether or not you enjoy the medical profession. If you add it to your application there is a good chance it will come up in your interview and you can really pull on those experiences to justify your interest in medicine. Way to go on having such great opportunities:D !

Guest terminalprep

Out of curiosity, which hospital did you do your shadowing at? I was under the impression that it was nearly impossible to find the opportunity in Canada (insurance/confidentiality reasons, etc)... What's your secret? :eek

I've done all my shadowing at a major Toronto hospital and most of that was because I was doing high school co-op there. But I've also gotten the chance to shadow as a volunteer in that department.

In terms of insurance, etc. you need to sign a bunch of confidentiality forms and if you're a volunteer insurance covers you so it's not that big of a problem. If you've been volunteering somewhere for a while, just ask the supervisor if she would set up, or be okay with you setting up, a shadowing shift with a doctor you might know well or who's been open to allowing undergrads/high school students to shadow in the past.

Good luck!

Guest NurseEpi

Hi there,

Compared to volunteering in a hospital, shadowing experiences require a little more digging and persuading. I think your chances are better if you have a particular physician in mind (or department/specialty) and you approach them directly.

During my undergrad degree, I was able to shadow an anaesthetist and general surgeon for 3 entire summers. The anaesthetist was a friend of the family and he was able to get me "observer privileges" in our local hospital. However, this required him to write a letter to the CEO and complete a bunch of waivers staking his life on my presence not compromising patient care or confidentiality. In other words, he was liable for my actions the entire time I was in the hospital. The experience was unbelievable and I highly recommend the extra time and effort it might take to seek such an opportunity out. By my third summer, I was scrubbing in and practically assisting in major surgery!!

Best of luck,

NurseEpi

Guest druggist

Hello,

I just asked!!! Haha! I was in the department of pharmacology one day (as I am a pharmacy student and also do some research there) and was talking to the professor that I work for and mentioned that I was interested in medical school. He suggested that I talk to a few people who were also pharmacy students who subsequently pursued medicine. So I approached them, asked if I would be able to "get a feel" and they were very welcoming. On my other occasion, I was volunteering and while in the ER lunch room eating with a doc taking a break I said I would like to see more of what he does (yknow, behind the ER curtains, so to speak), and he said he'd talk to his supervisor and hook me up. The first time, the two fellows I spoke too on the advice of the professor were anesthesiologists and hence I spent one day in the OR and the other in the ICU (not to mention, the day in the ICU hooked me up with a research position with that doc!). So, I really have no secrets. I think if you ask nicely and show true enthusiasm and energy about pursuing a career in medicine (along with a helpless look on your face) they'll take you on for at least an afternoon.

Cheers, thanks for all your advice everyone

Druggy

Archived