Premed 101 Forums

Read any good novels lately?

Guest Raven526

I'm about half-way through Guy Vanderhaeghe's "The Last Crossing" - published in 2003. I would definetely recommend it - its a pleasant CanLit historical fiction read. The characters are interesting and credible.

In fact, you might want to pick this book up in the next little while since I believe it was chosen by a panel of CBC critics as this summer's 'Canada Reads' novel. It's always fun to listen in to the 'experts' and CBC listeners debate a novel.

If you are in Ontario and find yourself close to the radio between noon and 2pm - consider also listening to "Radio-Noon" on CBC1. They periodically (monthly or bi-monthly?) dedicate an entire show to a novel (predominantly CanLit).

And the summer is almost upon us. Which means that the Literary festivals are almost here. As you probably know, they happen across the country and vary in size. Smaller, more intimate one's include the Sechelt Festival in June (?) and Eden Mills in September. Larger ones, such as the Toronto one (in the Fall) are less intimate (harder to meet the authors) but tend to attract bigger, international stars (ie: Salman Rushdie).

Happy Reading!

Guest Dafunk

Hey All Good Names are Used,

I definetly pick up that book you mentioned. It seems really cool. Reading the DaVinci Code and Of Angels and Demons made me look more deeply into who Christ really was. I just read the Gospal of Mary Magdaline on the web, and boy is it a contrast to the Gospal of John. I think Dan Brown was definetly on to something. Take a look at the Gospal of Thomas if you ever get the chance, cuz it too is a bit different.

Although Im not too into religion and stuff, I think its amazing to see differences in religious opinion. Salmon Rushdi's "Satanic Verses" is also another book to read if you like religiously controversial books, but that one deals with Islam instead of Christianity.

Anybody else into controversy???

Hmmm, other books to read. Ive recently started reading an

"O Henry" short stories compilation book. Its not the same OHenry as the chocolate bar, but a man who lived back in the early 1900s I think. He's got a lot of touching stories in there.

Dafunk

Guest druggist

"Prozac Nation"

Very interesting--a fictional first person account of youth mental illness and the drug morbidity that psychotropic medications may afford.

Druggy

All these novels sound kind of intense... I just read Can you keep a secret by Sophie Kinsella (who also wrote the Shopaholic books). It was great and funny!

Guest byjude

Ahh Prozac Nation. The book was better than the movie, but is it un-PC to say that I found that her depression was too often used to explain away her personality failings? I would never say this normally as a strong advocate for the other opinion, but that book honestly made me want to agree with people who blame people for their own mental illnesses. Aside from the actual manic depression, there was this unexplored enabling on the part of her mom that just allowed her to act like a total brat.

I know it's supposed to be this big pop culture deal of a book that explores antidepressants and the experience of depression, but I wonder if that book doesn't give the wrong idea about the experience of mental illness to the uninitiated reader. I would never say this normally, but that book honestly gives me the impression that depression is just this excuse she uses to be lazy -- and that's exactly the sort of impression that needs to be stamped out of popular perception, not promoted.

Guest marbledust

I agree have to agree with fox that these books sound intense. Much to instense and serious for me at the moment, although Prozac Nation sounds intruiging.

I have been turning to novels as comic relief and a diversion from medicine. With all the medical-related reading I have been doing, I find "lighter" works are more enjoyable. My recent discoveries have been two British authors, Nick Hornby and Mike Gayle. The movie High Fidelity was based on a Hornby novel, although the screen play was "Americanized". Both are very funny and insightful writers. Unfortunately I have now read all their collective novels and need to find a new favorite author de jour for myself.

Guest byjude

marbledust,

I don't know what level of lightness you're seeking, but I've found some literary works can be just as satisfying in the whimsical department. Michael Chabon has written a number of novels and short stories that can be misleadingly simple if you don't want to go into the deep analysis that is also possible. "The Adventures of Cavalier and Clay" provides a lighthearted escape from the darkness of Nazi Europe through a tale of comic book superheroes and magicians. The literary meaning is there, but can be just as easily ignored. :) Anyway, I can't put my finger on it, but there's something about Chabon that always reminds me of Nick Hornby. Maybe it's just the film adaptations?? (The Wonder Boys).

I've found that the only reading I've managed to do this school year is completely of the diversionary sort. I've gotten into reading humourous non-fiction that can be easily put aside for days or weeks and returned to without missing a step. I find Michael Moore relatively amusing for this effect, but his simplistic analysis of things forces me to use my critical thinking skills, which ends up being like the work I try to avoid. But Al Franken is probably my top pick for this sort of piecework reading to unwind. If you have a slightly leftist perspective, or at least have a dislike for uninformed pundits, I would highly recommend "Lies and the Lying Liars who Tell Them (A Fair and Balanced Look at the Right)".

Guest UWOMED2005

Michael Moore's books are nice, light, comical politcal reading. There not always well thought out but always well-intentioned, and sure to unveil a few facts about the Modern world you don't already know.

If you're looking for something in the same genre that is better thought out and more serious, check out any of John Ralston Saul's works. . . the "Doubter's Companion" is probably the easiest of his books to read.

For those of yo freaked out by all of your mid-twenties friends getting engaged :eek (third year at the latest for those of you applying to meds) I highly recommend "The Best A Man can Get." It's a British book that's been called "the Bridget Jones Diary for men" and is a very interesting and comedic portrayal of man's issues with commitment and diapers.

Nick Hornby is great! I read his books awhile ago and my sad when I had finished them all.... I am addicted to Chapters online. If you find a book you liked, they always tell you what other books you might like and I found this quite useful for finding good stuff to read. I am now reading Chris Manby's Seven Sunny Days. It's funny and a good way to relax.

byjude: I have to say that with the stress of school and copious amounts of reading I have to do, I like to read some "lighthearted" books to get away from the intensity of it all. It's nice to sit down and not have to think when you read. There is rarely time to read for fun these days....

Speaking of diversions, I LOVE Gregory Maguire's fairy tale spoofs. I'm currently reading Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West... it's great so far! His books take a classic fairy tale, and tell it from the point of view of the "villian" - very interesting read.

arar

Guest William108

I just re-read parts of Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search for Meaning." Frankl was a Jewish psychiatrist who was sent to the slaughter camps in Nazi Germany. In this book, he discusses profound questions about meaning, existence, and human freedom. It is a life changing book.

WJ

Archived