Premed 101 Forums

Pharmacy

Guest FungManX

Guest johnwoo19

No, I think the deserving people were accepted. However, people who were meant to be rejected also received acceptances. This means the 1st year class for this year is absurdly large. Also, some people were granted guaranteed admissions for the upcoming year (they can't accept everyone whom the mistake was made on).

Note that I did not first-handedly experience this. However, people on other forums have also heard or know about this, so I doubt that it's pure speculation.

Guest ubcparamedic

Johnwoo19 is correct, as UBC pharmacy let in way too many people this year, and those extra people that were accepted were supposed to be rejected. How does something like this even happen. Thats a very big mistake to make, and now people that arent supposed to be in the program will graduate to become pharmacists and thats not right. You should earn your acceptance, and I feel like those people should have had their acceptances retracted. How does a faculty make such a huge mistake.....

Guest FungManX

there is nothing we can do.. lets hope that the pre-interview scanning made sure they have the academic ability to perform like a real pharmacist

Guest ubcparamedic

My friend told me they interview 200 people for 120 spots. Around 550 people applied. I am not sure how many people got accepted but they are over by 30 students or so.

word on the street is that it was a computer screw up. It didnt affect those that were accepted during the first round, but on the second round, that is where the screw up occurred. Messages got sent to the wrong groups.

kupo

Guest FungManX

the screw up was bad

They over accepted 40 people.. 20 are already thrown into the class of 2009, but another 20 already have seats held for the class of 2010.

It was a HUGE screw up.. I know at least 3-4 people that applied last year who were offered interviews (prepared for flight back to vancouver just for it) and the next day they were emailed saying, "sorry we made a mistake, you did not actually get a interview"...

they were all pretty depressed after they found out that their interviews were taken away from them while the people that got 'false acceptances' were still accepted

Guest yellow
they were all pretty depressed after they found out that their interviews were taken away from them while the people that got 'false acceptances' were still accepted

Wouldn't those that received "false acceptances" have made it to the interview stage at least? I'm wondering at which stage of the application process the "screw-up" occured.

Guest FungManX

yeah all the false acceptances had interviews..

one screw up occured just before the interviews

and another happened just after the interviews..

before interview : people were offered interviews even though they didn't deserve it, but they were all turned down a day later saying that the previous email was a mistake

after interview: people were offered seats even though they didn't deserve it, (based on interview performance i guess), but they were NOT rejected because they have this policy where they can't retract any acceptances or something..

Archived