Premed 101 Forums

Chances?

Guest leviathan

Guest leviathan

I just finished my first year at UBC with a 74% average. I noticed even with the now 200 available spots, the accepted average for UBC med was about 83%!!!

I know I can do a lot better than I did this year, and maybe get my average up to 80%...but assuming that is the best I can do, should I give up trying for UBC med and consider international/caribbean schools?

Thanks

PS - I will have a lot of EC's including hundreds of hours of time with St. John Ambulance, UBC Hospital, and the 24-hour suicide prevention line. Will that put me above the average applicant, or is that a normal amount of EC involvement for a med student?

Guest Kels2004

Hi there leviathan,

Definitely keep trying to pull up your marks, and don't get discouraged yet! You're only finished first year!

My first year in undergrad was about 74, and I ended up finishing my Masters before I had the marks to be competive at UBC (4th time applying). So, all is not lost :)

Also, keep in mind that a strong MCAT will be beneficial, and many schools have a "pre-req" GPA, so you ensure that these areas of your application are strong.

Your EC sound really interesting - it is hard to compare EC between people, and I think a lot is about quality and passion rather than just "man hours" put in for the sake of getting in... so, enjoy your time in undergrad, and good luck :)

Guest 4EverRose

Hi leviathan,

You definitely have chance. My first year average was 70%.

Keep in mind that UBC looks at average of your last 60 credits and the trend of your grades, in addition to overall average and prerequisites average. So if you pull in some descent grades in your next several years you should be fine :)

Good luck!

Guest leviathan

Nice, thanks for the info guys. :):D I'm sure I can get my average up, it's just that my first year was full of way too many distractions because I was living in the Totem Park dorms and spending too much time having fun. :o

From now on, I'll be at my own place and geared towards studying hard.

A quick word of caution: don't get obsessively wrapped up in studying. Make sure you leave time to explore your interests and get otherwise involved.

Archived