Premed 101 Forums

OOP Results

Guest 2l2l

Guest 2l2l

I thought I'd start a new thread for OOP applicants anxiously waiting for the mail this coming week. There's only 30 of us who were interviewed - how many are on this board? Let's do a head count and post our thoughts and results here.

Guest Phager

I can't concentrate on anything else right now I'm so anxious for the mail ....nonetheless, I have a feeling we won't get them till Wednesday.

:\

Guest irimi

I know what you mean Phager. I know I'll be checking on this board every 10 minutes at work this week and as soon as an ON OOP posts that they heard from UBC, I'll be taking off to check my mail.

Guest Phager

Good idea, never thought of that.

lol

I never thought I would be THIS anxious....and I generally LOVE long weekends...but this one is just a little too long, don't you think?

Guest 2l2l

How many OOP have UBC as their #1 choice? I'm guessing that most have a school in their home province as #1 so the dip into the OOP waitlist may be (hopefully) quite deep. As for myself, UBC is my #2 choice of all the places I applied to.

Guest 2l2l

Anyone else intimidated by the accepted stats posted by the in-provinces? The OOP stats must be even higher. Why couldn't they just email the results to everyone at the same time??? :rolleyes

I heard that the opp waiting list moves a lot. Last year, the first 5 all declined. So i guess that is good news for us opp applicants. Even if we are on the waitlist I think we have a good chance. What provinces are you guys from? I'm from Manitoba.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Great idea for a thread. :)

I thought only 26 of us ended up interviewing this time around? Not bad odds if the first 5 acceptees bow out. Also, Admissions didn't mention if they had to consume the whole out-of-province waitlist to fill the class quota last year. Did 5 out-of-province students matriculate this year?

By the way, Toronto, Ontario here. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I think there are only 4 opp in this years class. I read that somewhere awhile ago. I asked about the opp waitlist during the info session and the answer I got was sort of vague. They said they had to move "considerably down" the opp waitlist in previous yrs. I have a feeling that maybe they moved all the way down, if it is true that there are only 4 opp in this yrs class.

Guest 2l2l

From other threads, I know that you've already been accepted to UofC and are waiting to hear from ON schools; where does UBC place in terms of your preferences? (if you don't mind sharing) :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

ren, I got the same feeling as you from UBC's response re: the oop waitlist. It sounded as though they managed to work their way right through the list. However, there is the possibility that one of the oop folks deferred? (I haven't recently read UBC's admission statistics for last year.) :rolleyes

2l2l: UBC is right up there. :) Honestly, it will be a tough choice as each of the four schools at which I interviewed have unique strengths and I'd be pleased to be a part of the class of any one of them. I'm averting a final decision until all of the official bits and pieces of information are out; however, UofC has been in the forefront of my mind this past while since they're the only school to say, "come on in!". (It's difficult not to think about a bird when you have it in the hand, so I can see why UWO and UofT might be a wee bit miffed at Ottawa for sending their acceptances out a little earlier than they. :) )

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Bleepo

Hey guys,

I'm from Toronto, Ontario as well =). This weekend has been LONG. I'm glad it's over though! However, I'm not expecting to get good news from UBC first round... I'm aiming for waitlist =P.

Guest 2l2l

Okay guys, today could be the day although it's more likely to be Thursday or Friday. For the benefit of those of us who will be at work all day, could you guys at home post something as soon as you receive word so we can decide whether to sneak off to check our mail ;) ?

Does anyone know how many initial OOP offers are made and how many are waitlisted? It looks like there's five of us on this thread; what are the chances that it's us who are accepted?

Good luck all. :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Is Canada Post really that bad at delivering mail cross-country? Hopefully the letters begin to arrive today. :)

With respect to OOP acceptances and the waitlist, I'd guess that only five acceptances shall be sent initially given the OOP class quota. I wouldn't think that Admissions wishes to monkey around with the risk of greater than five individuals accepting their initial offers.

On the waitlist, I'd also hazard a guess that UBC will keep all OOP applicants on the waitlist, unless they performed abysmally during the interview. This is based on the events of a scant few years ago, when the entire general waitlist was consumed. Better to be safe than sorry. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest deamd

hi all anxiously waiting in Ontario:

I received the big brown package this morning (noon). YAY:)

I am in London, Ontario, so if you are waiting here, GO CHECK YOUR MAIL!!!

Although I am an Ontario resident, I am also considered BC resident, as I grew up / attended highschool there.

Hope to see you all there in August, depending (My husband and I will have to do some hard thinking if we get other acceptances from here in Ontario...having just had a baby May 2, it will be very hard to move!!

Best of luck all!!

Lara

Guest deamd

Hey all!

actually, I think I am in the BC resident pool, so still 5 spots for y'all!

Good luck everyone, and keep positive! It is, after all, one big @#%$-shoot!

Anyone else waiting from London, ON????

Lara

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there deamd,

Congratulations, as well! Nice to see that Canada Post was working away over the weekend, and made your long weekend extra special. ;)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest 2l2l

Based on the trickle of OOP mailings received yesterday by people in AB and ON, I'm guessing today is the day for the rest of us. Good luck, and let's hope the mailperson puts us out of our misery today.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

2l2l, I'm with you re: the mailbag hopes today. Best of luck everyone on this side of the country. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Kirsteen, I can't believe you still haven't heard?? The waiting must be killing you... I know my wait for the U of C letter to come to Toronto was a bit trying...

FC:p

Archived