Premed 101 Forums

OOP Results

Guest 2l2l

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there frogcanada,

Are you still waiting for your package from UBC? The wait isn't too, too bad as I've got more than enough to keep me busy at the moment. Thankfully. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hi Kirsteen

Actually I only applied to U of C, which I was waitlisted for. So I have to admit that I have an outside agenda (waiting to see who might turn down their acceptance so I can get off the waitlist!) I know of alot of people that applied to both U of C and UBC and some are still waiting...

;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again frogcanada,

Are you an in- or out-of-province UofC waitlister? You're right, though; it does seem as though quite a few folks applied to both, UBC and UofC this year.

Best of luck! :)

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

Hello Kirsteen,

Have you tried calling the office and asking them if they'd give you your status?

I mean, Canada Post is holding you hostage and it's not fair!

Guest canstowski

You know what? I live in Richmond and i still haven't received anything from UBC!!!!

Oh well, no news is good news....probably the thin envelope got lost somewhere........

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I just received my envelope today, but it was one of the wee white ones. I've been waitlisted for all three sites. The information in the letter and yellow sheet provided some interesting reading as to this year's selection process. It sounds as though it truly was a little different from that of previous years.

I also called Admissions to find out some more about the out-of-province waitlist. They aren't allowed to say how many out-of-province folks made it to the waitlist, but they can say where us waitlistees sit. Fortunately, I've made it into the top half of the waitlist for all three sites. That's a nice, wee positive. :)

Cheers, and good luck everyone,

Kirsteen

Guest frogcanada

Hi there

I'm an IP waitlister... I forgot that you were an OOP person anyway (duh!) so it wouldn't make a difference

:P

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

ren: that's not bad news at all. There's still hope. :)

The method that has been used to select candidates for sites seems to be interesting, eh? Folks who chose VFMP as number one, going to PG, and waitlist spots all over the place. I wonder how the sites for the acceptances and, most especially waitlists, were selected? Also, I wonder how the actual waitlist dynamics will work? For example, if an applicant rescinds their acceptance and they were offered a spot in the IMP, will that offer to the IMP be given to the next person on the waitlist, even if their first waitlist choice was VFMP and their third was the IMP, for example?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest sn0w0wl

Wow, Kirsteen--I never would have expected that you would get the wee letter. But if it is any consolation, it made me feel better when I got mine because it says how f*%#ed up the whole UBC admissions process is this year, if even someone with your qualifications wasn't admitted!

Then I attempted to find out where on the waitlist I was, and I'm in the bottom half for the three sites... a shocker, given my academic stats are above the admitted averages, but hey, I'm not the only one with that story.... Must have been a pretty sucky interview (I didn't feel great about it at the time, to be honest).

I'm a little disappointed to be rejected by my "home school" (being a BC resident), and here in S'toon I've been feeling homesick for the ocean, family, etc... but, hey, at least Calgary thought I was good enough (and gave me one of the few OOP spots!!??). I guess it just goes to show how not getting in to med school doesn't mean you're not going to be a good doctor, as what the particular school is looking for can have much to do with their decisions.

Well, Kirsteen, I'd be surprised if Calgary's was the only big fat package you get this month. Good luck in the coming days, and maybe we'll see you around Calgary sometime.

sn0

Guest physiology

Hello Kirsteen,

I'm very disappointed that UBC did not let you in. I was hoping you'd get multiple acceptances and then pick UBC.

I think the only thing that kept you out was your OOP status.

SnowOwl as well - I've been reading your Calgary posts and i'm equally as disappointed UBC did not let you in either.

UBC's loss, another school's gain eh?

Guest Jazz

Kirsteen, you have absolutely nothing to worry about if you want to come to UBC, being on the top half of the OOP waitlist is pretty much guaranteed acceptance. Have you thought about which school you prefer?

It would be cool to meet you in person, I think there should be premed101.com t-shirts so everyone can recognize each other :) .

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I think there should be premed101.com t-shirts so everyone can recognize each other.
Now that's not a bad idea at all, from the interview experiences that I had this year that included meeting the swaths of folks from Ian's site. :)

Jazz, will you definitely be in this year's incoming meds class at UBC, then?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jazz

Hi Kirsteen,

Yeah, I'll definitely be at UBC. Although I really like the Calgary program and Queen's also seem like a great school, Vancouver is the nicest place to live imho. After reading how stressful med school can be, being around friends and family would be a plus too.

Guest Bleepo

I can't believe it! I'm still in tears ...of happiness that is... :rollin I wasn't expecting this at all!...but when I saw a big brown folder in my mailbox i couldn't stop thinking of the possibility. My interview didn't go that well at all. I totally screwed up that integrity question, and given the limited number of spots for OOP applicants, I was just hoping for a waitlist letter. I think the fact that I had rural experience helped a lot. Thanx all of you for all your help on this board...esp you, Kirsteen!

Kirsteen - I'm sorry to hear the news... I wasn't expecting any bad news to come from you! But being in the top half of the waitlist is definitely a good sign and you already have Calgary! Perhaps we'll end up going to the same med school if things work out :) ...that would be awesome!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I contacted UBC late last week re: the OOP waitlist. I just heard back from Admissions and was told that not all of us OOP interviewees made it to the waitlists this year. Therefore, for those of you who did, well done. :D

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived