Premed 101 Forums

Laval forum exists too...

Guest cutieyellow

Guest cutieyellow

No one ever writes in here... Chatting about Laval in the UdM forum people...

So i'm here, reminding you to write here... I feel so lonely :(

lol.

Guest engGirl

I'm glad to see somebody is alive at Laval! I've been trying to learn more about Laval, but it seems pretty hard compared to other universities, but maybe its because I don't know where to look.

I'm an Ontario student applying to Laval (I'm born and raised in Quebec City - until high school) so my french is rusty, but I still have that accent!!

So couple of questions if you want to answer them!

1) What is it like at Laval?

2) How hard is it to get residencies in Ontario, if even that is possible?

3) Language - like I said, I went to school in french in Qc, but my first language is English. I learnt how to write French before English, but I'm afraid that I have a lot of catching up to do if I do get invited for ABS. So honestly, how does Laval treat people who don't speak completely fluently right now (I know I'll pick it up no problem if I get back to Qc)

4) When are the invitations for NAS coming out for the university applicants? I haven't gotten any news, but I did get an email saying that it was recieved and adage says my dossier is under review. Just would like a heads-up!

Thanks a lot - glad to hear from you guys,

enggirl

Guest Steph201

Well i'm in the same boat and haven't heard from them except for adage NIP, etc. What is the ABS? How is it conducted? any experience going through it that others may benefit from? I'm also a french speaking englishman. Studied in french all the way through to cegep where i switched to english. So my french is pretty ok but its rusty like yours.

Guest engGirl

I think the ABS is like a group interview from what I have heard of. Theres some information on one of the recent UdeM posts on this forum. Apparently its in May, done in groups of 3-6 (I've heard 3, or 6, or 4...) and you are put into situations where you are a doctor, or a patient.

I'm feeling discouraged to even write my NAS because of the french issue, I remember how in Quebec they were very picky about writing and speaking the language.

Hi engGirl,

My mother-in-law works in the administration of a hospital in Outaouais and she told me that as far as she knows, each faculty has several regions assigned to it for residencies, and those regions are only in Quebec. She also thinks that if you want to go in another region, you have to switch universities. I don't know if that's easy or not.

Am I right?

bill!

Guest Steph201

Ok now i'm really lost... whatis the NAS? there is so little info on thelaval university web site? Is it a french entrance exam? Please get back to me .. i'm so happy this forum exists.

Steve>:

Guest engGirl

"La sélection des candidats est effectuée en diverses étapes. Une première sélection est effectuée à partir de l’excellence du dossier d’études (voir chacune des catégories pour obtenir plus d’explications). Ensuite, une évaluation de certaines caractéristiques personnelles jugées essentielles à l’exercice compétent de la médecine est effectuée suite à l’administration de la Note Autobiographique Standardisée (NAS) et de l’Appréciation Par Simulation (APS) aux candidats sélectionnés. Quelques-unes des caractéristiques évaluées sont, en ordre alphabétique : l’autonomie, la capacité d’aide, la gestion des émotions, l’habilité à communiquer, l’humanisme, l’initiative, l’ouverture d’esprit, le sens de l’appréciation et le sens des responsabilités."

So basically 1) they look at your marks 2) they let you know if you can move on and write the NAS 3) they let you know if you can move on and come to the APS.

So the NAS is an autobiography and you can find the questions (there are two of them) and instructions at:

w3.fmed.ulaval.ca/site_fa...php?id=509

It took me about 4 months to figure the process out, no kidding. And even at that, I missed all the deadlines for the other universities, because in Ontario all the pre-med books state that the deadlines are March 1st (but thats for CEGEP only!). Sigh.

Glad I'm of help!

eng

Guest Steph201

Thanks! I'm a university student at McGill so I guess i should start writing up my answers too! Btw, is there a given deadline that you know of for the submission of the NAS ?

Steve

GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ADMISSION!

Guest Steph201

So hold on a sec.... you didn't apply to any school! AHhh man. I'm really sorry. I missed all the Ontario school applications too (and AAMCAS) because you have to register into the system in August!!!!! (or something like that).. hell I think the AAMCAS requires you to register into their system in July!!!!!... oh welll, we'll have to wait and see what happens now.

Steve

Guest ibizascientist

FYI. The NAS deadline is determined by the date they send you the invite letter. You are given 2 to 3 weeks to complete it. It's definitly a challenge to write in French! A good resource for non-francophones is the Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique hosted by L'Office de la Langue Francaise. This translation tool covers many technical terms.

Grand Dictionnaire Terminologique

As a side note/fun fact, I came across a publication describing the history behind the NAS and APS. The NAS was born from somebody's Master's thesis as a psychosocial selection test for choosing med school candidates.

Hope this helps.

Ibiza

Guest engGirl

Thanks Ibiza. I think I'm going to start writing even though I haven't gotten an invite yet!!! Yes, it is the only french school I applied to!

I am not sure about residencies - I don't find it hard to believe they have some reserved for Qc residents only.

Thanks & g'luck!

eng

Guest cutieyellow

Hey all,

Sorry about the slight absence :)

I'm currently in surgery, it's long hours, and like NCV was saying up there, i am also trying to plan my wedding, which pretty much sucks up all my remaining time.

So to answer quickly your questions:

Laval university is a great school. It's definitely very french, however, you'll quickly find a 'clique' of anglos who are very much alike in your situations. I have many friends who have been to english school their whole lives and yet have managed to do fine throughout med school. Laval has three kind of classes during your first two yrs - big (180 or so), medium (30-50) and small classes (6-10), so there's a kind of learning for everyone. I think its curriculum is very well done because it's not only PBLs but also lectures...

I can't say how hard it is to get into residencies in Ontario. It really depends on the year. But seeing how we're in CaRMS, it's pretty much up to your file and if the schools you're applying to likes you or not. Many Laval grads have moved on to the USA or to other provinces in Canada. There is no rule that restricts you to do your residency in Qc. Then again, as with ANY other school, your biggest chances are obviously w/ your mother school... so... if you really want to do residency in Toronto, maybe you should go to UofT.

Laval's admission works by first cutoffs by grades. Those that make it, move on to the NAS - autobiography letter. You have a couple of weeks to write that up. From there, they narrow again, to invite people to the ABS. The ABS are in groups of 3, where you are set into some situation and they grade how you deal with them. It's not always related to medicine, and it's not always a patient/doctor situation. After you've done your rotations, you're then in groups of 9, discussion of an ethical case. Then your day is pretty much over. And then you wait for the answers, which come relatively early - like a few weeks after your ABS.

As for the residencies thing - there are no spots reserved for Qc students - though there is some kind of bias however. I have no idea what you're talking about Bill, about switching univ vs switching regions...

Anyhow, i'm applying thru CaRMS this yr, will let you know how that goes... ;)

Good luck in your application process guys!

CY

Guest Steph201

Thanks! I was wondering how hard it would be to get into a english residency comming from laval, etc.

Now at least I know that people have gotten into ontario residencies and even the states (which I hear are extremely competitive). I'm a quebec resident applying to mcgill, laval and Uof M so i guess i'm ok either way it goes IF i get in.

Thank!

Guest Scully

Hey Cutie !!!

It's been a long time !! How is your clerkship going? What do you do? I just finished my uro exam this morning, after cardio and pneumo. That was intense!

Good luck for this year's applicants, I'm with you! I remember being there last year, the waiting was killing me, but it was worth it.

Good luck again,

Julie

Guest cutieyellow

Julie,

I'm in Surgery - not nearly as bad as i expected it. The schedule's not too bad :) And well, i enjoy wearing scrubs every day.

Can't believe i'm almost done with my third year, time FLIES.

• 2 months later...

Archived