Premed 101 Forums

Check your e-mails - Interview invitations have been sent

Guest Makunouchi

Guest walkorbike

Hi, just a note about that. I noticed that we have to fill out the top part and physically sign the forms ourselves before we give them to the referees...I had been all set to e-mail them out, but no, that doesn't work (unless you are more sophisticated than I and can somehow scan in your signature).

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

I printed out a hard copy of each form, filled in the top part and gave that to each writer to complete. I figured this method would incur less effort for each writer (as I've already begun to feel badly about the letter demand on my supervisor, alone).

One of the directions I found a little strange was that reference writers were invited to add an additional page of comments, but this page was stipulated not to be in letter form. Did any of you have any thoughts about this?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest kakashifan

hey guys..

i got the following from Joy Bennett of UBC Med

"Invitations to interview will continue to be sent out for the next week or so. We will also have the regrets letters posted hopefully next week so you should know either way."

keep hoping!

=0. kakashifan

That's good to hear! I am in the same boat as you kakashifan, so we will continue to keep our fingers crossed!

Although I do wonder if they have sent all interview invites already and are just saying that they haven't so that the regrets are in writing (and not just an e-mail saying "yes we have sent all the invites already"). Just a thought, but I will keep hoping! Anyone heard of people getting invites since Friday?

Kirsteen, I had the same question about the forms, and got this answer in an email from UBC.

"The instructions are meant to deter the referee from simply attaching their reference letter without filling out the form. We require the referee to fill out the form and if they require extra space for their comments beyond what is provided, they are encouraged to attach a separate page. If they do attach a separate

page, they need to include their signature to ensure authenticity.

Hope that helps!

Angela Carter

Admissions Advisor

UBC Faculty of Medicine"

Hey guys,

About the signature...last year I forgot to sign one and I freakedout and contacted the admissions office. Turns out that tons of people forget to sign it, so they would just contact you to make sure that this is who you want. Also, you can just write them an email/letter saying that you approve that the following people are your referees.

It is a pain for some people to print it out and send it..for example, one of my referees is in Thailand right now...if I sent it there and waited for him to send it back, it would never get here in time!....

Hope that helps

Kooty

Guest driedcaribou

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'm living in Australia right now and one of my referees is in England.. needless to say.. that would be very very painful for me... :)

Guest canstowski

i've heard from a friend of a friend that he/she recieved his/her interview reject 3 weeks ago. Some of my friends who REALLY deserve at least an interview still got nothing yet....I'm curious to know whats going on! :rolleyes

I'm thinking that admissions really like fridays, and thus will be sending out the 2nd batch of invites on friday (if such a 2nd batch exists).

Still keepin those fingers crossed.......:\

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

FYI, I received an e-mail from UBC today with my exact interview date (Mar. 12th), which is great as I could then firm up my travel plans. Apparently more specifics regarding the interviews are to follow.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest CornuAmmonis

Hi,

I called admissions today and they said that they are still wroking away at the interview invites for OOPs.

The lady said that they might get all of them out by friday.

I'm starting to think that they'll do a one time mass e-mail thing on friday, because reading this forum I get the feeling that no one receieved any notification all week.

what are your thoughts?

Guest soapyslicer

Hi everyone,

It does sort of seem that way doesn't it. I guess it makes it easier for them but boy am I glad I was in the first group.

Here's hoping there is a flood of email on friday!!!! :rollin

Soapy

Well, if it's true that they only have OOP's left to do then I might be out of luck. :( But I will not give up hope entirely until I get that thin white envelope! And then I'll go to the feedback meeting and start the process all over!!

On the topic of feedback, does anyone think they will stop/change the feedback process since there are so many more applicants this year? I sure hope not.

Guest canstowski

Ok, i've asked everyone i know who applied to UBC med and none of them have received anything from UBC. (boy am i lucky)....so i'm almost 100% sure that they haven't finish sending invites for interview.....my friends have better stats than i do too....so HANG IN THERE PPL!! ;)

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Has Admissions released any information in terms of when the rejections would be sent out? I recall in previous years that it seemed to take a wee, agonizing bit for them to appear. :rolleyes

Best of luck to everyone who's still waiting--may some good news come your way tomorrow! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Hopefully you won't need one this year. :) However, in previous years UBC seemed to schedule the feedback meetings a little while after the rejections were sent, i.e., a few months. It helps to try to schedule your feedback session early as I know that when I went to book mine last year and the year before, many of the earlier spots were completely full.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest soapyslicer

Hi everyone,

I called the same day (both years) that I received my rejection letters and got nice early meetings. The best part was that questions could be answered as well as I could schedule my summer to my advantage. Last year I managed to have enough time to arrange some directed studies courses that were fantastic. I also had questions regarding gpa calculation etc and was easily able to meet with Joy prior to her time being taken up with all the incoming students.

soapy

Guest Spicy Aam

Hi everyone,

I have two questions:

1. If you are OOP, how does the post-interview meeting work, to see where and how you can do better? Is it via phone?

1. If you receive an interview invite but do not get in, can you still make a post-interview meeting? Or is it only for those who receive rejection letters (before an interview).

Thanks everyone! I also want to congratulate Kirsteen for completing 2000 posts! Your wealth of knowledge is truly remarkable.

Best of luck to all,

Spicy

Archived