Premed 101 Forums

Things to do before September?

Guest HaliEngineer

Guest HaliEngineer

Maybe a moderator can confirm this:

Last year's entering class had to have the following before the start of classes:

Basic Cardiac Life Support Level C certification

Completed Immunization Form

Can anyone fill us in on Immunizations?

This is a good opportunity for anyone who's got the time now to get CPR/ First Aid paid for by employers or volunteer organizations and save a few $$$?

In halifax, St John Ambulance offers courses quite regularly.

http://www.stjohnambulance.ns.ca

Getting excited about a great summer of nice weather in Halifax!

-S

Guest MikeD

You're right, on your first day of orientation you need BCLS - Level C + proof of immunizations + a big old 5 bucks (mailbox fee)

For immunizations, they are going to check for immunity against:

diphtheria/tetanus, measles/mumps/rubella, Hep B, varicella + TB test

For some of these they'll want to see a copy of your official immunization record, so if you don't have one, it's worth asking your public health department to get one for you.

Have a good summer,

MikeD

Guest MikeD

Most of the class used Netter's Atlas of Human Anatomy as a primary source. You'll need a supplemental text as well. I used Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy (the big version) which I found extremely useful but a little difficult to read given the time crunch. Others stuck to the smaller version of Moore.

Some had a third book (Rohen's) that has amazing cadaver images. This one might be helpful if you have trouble converting Netter's colour drawings into the dull-grey reality you'll see in the lab.

I used Gray's Anatomy for Students by Drake et al. this past year and then Netter for the pelvis and perineum and head and neck weeks.

Guest cedar05

So is it possible to buy used books from older med students or do they tend to keep their books for later years?

Thanks.

Guest JewelLeigh

There is a booksale within the first week or two of school. Many upper year med students sell many books for great prices at this sale, so I recommend waiting until then before you purchase any books :)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scooter

Hey guys,

I hope you are all getting as excited as I am (actually i don't, since i don't think my excitment is normal :lol )

Anywho this might be a dumb question (the type of which i will be making quite often next year;) so you have been warned) : it says on the preparation document that we need "Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) Certification" ... I am enrolled in the St John Ambulance Basic First Aid and Cpr C .... is this right or is the Heart and Stroke's BCLS something a bit different and I need to do that???

I am quite sure that they are one in the same for all extensive purposes but i don't want to be in trouble on my first day :)

See everyone soon

Guest JewelLeigh

I did the same one that you are signed up for with St. John's Ambulance and they accepted it for me 2 years ago, so I can't imagine that has changed :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scooter

Hey,

Congrats to everyone who heard this week and I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone on the wait-list.

Does anyone have any idea when applications for bursaries and scholarships are going to be available? Last year they were on dalmedix in early June (according to the dates on Dal medix)...

Cheers and looking forward to August :b

Archived