Premed 101 Forums

full course loads.

Guest islandmed

Guest islandmed

I know this question has probably been asked a million times

( and i have personally asked it a million times it seems) but could some one please clarify something for me. How many years or semesters of 5 classes per semester is required for application to UBC or IMP specifically?

Guest Ian Wong

You need to have or will have completed the equivalent of three years of an undergrad degree. So you'd need three years of 5 full-year classes per year.

Ian

Guest thatuvicguy

Hey islandmed,

It depends on your meaning. Some schools (such as U of Ottawa) require you to have a certain number of explicitly full-time years (e.g., 3 years of 5 full-year courses at U of O I believe). This may have been the thrust of your question, in which case UBC does not have an explicit requirement (cross your fingers that this doesn't change) that any of your degree have been 5 courses each semester between Sept and April (IOW, 5 full-year courses).

However you may alternatively have been asking, in a more general sense, how many years of university one must complete to apply to UBC. For this question, the answer is that UBC does require you to have 90 credits (or the equivalent of 3 years at 5 and 5) in order to apply. How long it takes you to do this, and aside from a few prereqs, what exactly you study, is up to you. The 'standard' 3 years, or longer.

The distinction between these two answers is important, since depending on your situation, say as an unorthodox type pre-med (whatever that means:D ), you may have completed 90 credits (or the equivalent in your university's system), but over the span of 5 years as you worked part-time and supported a family. Thankfully, and to their credit, UBC makes room for this kind of applicant though there are in any case, significant hoops to jump through.

I hope that was clear enough - it's a bit late here in Vic! All this stuff is embedded in the UBC website but it can take a while to process it all and translate it to your particular situation. Please speak out if any questions arise, I've personally found this to be a great forum for sorting things out in the UBC admissions process (or in preparation for it:b ).

All the best,

thatuvicguy

Guest islandmed

thanks thatuvicguy. I too am a Uvic student. I wish they had a more active premed club of some sorts. Maybe once the imp gets going someone will establish a club. I know that there has been one in the past but as far as I know it has been abandoned.

Guest Elliott

Sorry, just to clarify, is it not based on credit hours per semester? In my scenario, I am taking four courses this semester, but will have 14 credits as opposed to 12 if I had taken 4 courses without lab. How do these rack up in terms of fulltime, etc... ?

Cheers,

Elliott

• 2 weeks later...
Guest islandmed

FINALLY!!!....I got a straight answer today from an adivsor at Uvic. UBC does not require u to take 5 courses per semester. However they do look at ur course load and will expect a good reason for not doing a full course load (i.e part-time work, volunteer commitments etc.).

Guest soapyslicer

Hi islandmed,

I have only had a full course load for one semester out of my undergrad. Never seemed to be an issue - although I have worked throughout. Just finished a MSc which was full time but again you never have 5 courses a semester.

soapy

Archived