Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

Haha everyone!

I'm still waiting on some schools verdicts!

There was also a lot of school I applied to and withdrew before even getting an interview but i wont' bother to put those up.

Yah my Columbia interview wasn't that great, I didn't want to go there anyways!

I am a dual citizen with the US hence my ability to apply anywhere and afford it!

Great financial aid for Americans through merit scholarships and need scholarships. At several school's I'd pay no tuition

I have a master's (I am non-traditional was pursuing a different career before) which must help =). I did a post-bacc too to get the courses I needed. Tons of EC's!

I always wanted to go to a good US school hence why I withdrew from most Canadian invites

Thanks everyone! PM for advice if you like:o

I guess that totally trumps an earlier statement that you need 38+ MCAT and 4.0 cGPA to get into ivy leagues. Congrats on your outstanding achievements!

Haha everyone!

I'm still waiting on some schools verdicts!

There was also a lot of school I applied to and withdrew before even getting an interview but i wont' bother to put those up.

Yah my Columbia interview wasn't that great, I didn't want to go there anyways!

I am a dual citizen with the US hence my ability to apply anywhere and afford it!

Great financial aid for Americans through merit scholarships and need scholarships. At several school's I'd pay no tuition

I have a master's (I am non-traditional was pursuing a different career before) which must help =). I did a post-bacc too to get the courses I needed. Tons of EC's!

I always wanted to go to a good US school hence why I withdrew from most Canadian invites

Thanks everyone! PM for advice if you like:o

I guess that totally trumps an earlier statement that you need 38+ MCAT and 4.0 cGPA to get into ivy leagues. Congrats on your outstanding achievements!

Well, no, not really. Keep in mind that he's a dual citizen, so he applied as a US citizen into their domestic stream, whereas if you applied as a Canadian, you'd be fighting for that 10 or less international spots they had at each of the schools.

Also keep in mind that he's a non-traditional with graduate work, and with also a post-bacc under his belt, so definitely not your average bear.

If you came straight out of undergrad with no grad work, no post bacc, a Canadian, and a 3.7, 32R, good luck.

The average gpa for Yale is high 3.7 and Harvard is only 3.8

Yale actually has a firm policy that Canadians and Americans are evaluated the same. They have tons of Canadians each year.

I know plenty of my classmates with gpa's all varying

The science gpa is more important

As I have said many times to people who ask me advice is that your grades need to be at least 3.65 but strong extra curriculars an interesting and unique story go along way.

Many people with perfect gpa's get rejected from top schools all the time

And if you check out the amcas book you can order online you will see the varying gpa's and mcats they accepted the previous year for each school

Harvard

average GPA: 3.8

average MCAT scores by section

Verbal: 11.18

Physical Science: 12.39

Biological Science: 12.47

Yale

Average GPA 3.78

MCAT mean of sections 12.15

Pretty tough numbers to obtain if you ask me. The US school weights heavily on the MCAT way more than the GPA. So that partially explains why the average GPA isn't hovering in the 3.9-4.0 range. While the iveys may give no preference to US citizens, people with stats lower than average (i.e.. <3.65) will need to have very compelling stories (i.e. major journal pubs, extensive humanitarian efforts, solid reference letters) to get in. Most schools have varying GPAs but with the average that high, most lie around the 3.7-3.9 range. Very few lower than that make it. For those that do, they must have very good extracurriculars. It's true that many people with top GPAs get rejected, but even more with mediocre and not so hot gets shot down.

So the lesson is, be realistic when you apply. Even at an "average" med school, you would be surprised at the extra curricular some of the medical students have. So by all means apply to Harvard, Yale as reach schools, but also add many "average" schools to maximize your chances of getting in somewhere. In the end, even a "mediocre" schools can send its students to top residency programs in the US and Canada, and residency is ultimately where things start to count.

The average gpa for Yale is high 3.7 and Harvard is only 3.8

Yale actually has a firm policy that Canadians and Americans are evaluated the same. They have tons of Canadians each year.

I know plenty of my classmates with gpa's all varying

The science gpa is more important

As I have said many times to people who ask me advice is that your grades need to be at least 3.65 but strong extra curriculars an interesting and unique story go along way.

Many people with perfect gpa's get rejected from top schools all the time

And if you check out the amcas book you can order online you will see the varying gpa's and mcats they accepted the previous year for each school

For those of you who got accepted to U Kentucky,

The school website says international students need 1 year of school in the U.S.

Does this apply to applicants from Canada who went to university here for 4-years as well?

I did all four years of undergrad here so it should be no problem. You can always call them and ask though.

• 2 weeks later...
Why are there so few acceptances from Wayne? A few years back they had given out many interviews and acceptances/waitlists to Canadians. Has something changed?

I had a Wayne acceptance, and judging from the time I was in the facebook group, there were a bunch of Canadians.

I have graduated but still have to complete a first year physics course - without it my science gpa is a4.0... will they look at that or will it not count because a missing course? also, I'm finding it hard to convert the gpa from my western degree because western doesn't have any b+ grading - 70 to 70 is a b which is low on the amcas scale... is that just my tough luck??

• 3 months later...
This thread hasn't been very active. 2013 applicants, mind sharing where you've received interview invites following the format of previous years? Unfortunately, I haven't received any interviews yet.

No interviews for me either unfortunately. I will be sure to update when (if) I get any.

• 2 weeks later...