Premed 101 Forums

How much of a summer do med students get?

Guest VS12

Guest VS12

I know you guys start earlier... but I'm not quite sure when you guys end either. How is it for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years as well?

both 1st and 2nd year end on May 29th and start August 29th. Going into first year med from undergrad is about a week earlier in August. Between med 3 and 4 you get only 2 weeks in August off. You end med4 in the first week of May and you are a Dr. on May 12th of your final year.

the first couple of summers aren't much for most students either. Most students will do things such as B.Sc. med, rural exposures, international exchanges, etc. to occupy their time.

Guest fever meds

I think its a relatively moot point, b/c most people have jobs during the summer anyway. Unless one is supported to the extent that their ENTIRE sumemr is off, I don't think one would notice much different in 1stand 2nd year. Med is fun. 3rd and4th year might be a bit rough. But once you graduate I think the new residents get 2 months off or something like that.

Guest VS12

if i do get in, i don't think there's any way i would bother working during the summers. i only intend to do FP, so i don't think a bsc(med) or whatever else will really help me out as much as if i were to pursue a more competitive residency anyway. i mean, you're pretty much on a way way trip to being a doctor... may as well travel and have fun during the summers while you've still got time off.

Lots of people do that as well, there's nothing wrong with that. You can actually sign 2 week contracts to shadow physicians in the summer for credit on your Dean's letter too, just to hone your clinical experience. Its all very flexible (especially more flexible if you know you want FP)

Archived