Premed 101 Forums

strong weighting on MCAT

Guest onthetopo1

Guest onthetopo1

Hi,

I did really really well in my MCAT however my GPA isn't very competitive at all (80.2%). Is there any school that strongly focus on MCAT performance?

Thanks

Your GPA isn't too bad. That will translate to a 3.5-3.6? Maybe even higher depending on your distribution of grades. I don't think there really is one school that solely focuses on the MCAT but because your GPA isn't disastrous, I'd try applying to a broad range of schools, like NYMC, Med Col of Wisconsin, even Wash U (these guys love the MCAT), Finch/Chicago Med, Boston U, Tufts, Albert Einstein, Mt Sinai, etc.

Guest onthetopo1

thank you for your reply

but unfortunately it's the opposite.

My gpa is 3.51 so far

My distrubution of marks is extreme. Got three C's already but also a lot of As

But if you have read my other thread you might know that my MCAT score is among the top 5% of north america.

just 2 questions

Do they count summer courses?

Which canadian or american school's my best bet?

Yes, US schools will count summer courses.

Your best bet will probably be a school like NYMC, Med Col of Wisconsin, Finch/Chicago Med, and Albert Einstein. Honestly, your GPA isn't TOO bad. Are your Cs in non-science (i.e., non-math, bio, chem, phys) courses? If they are then that's even better.

Guest onthetopo1

thanks moo

by the way, do you happen to know the amcas GPA conversion scale for ubc ?

i've found different versions of scale for different universities. Guess ubc has an own version too.

When I applied, I entered the letter grades from UBC onto the AMCAS forms and they later converted it to percentage grades when they received my transcript. I figure you are paying these guys a bundle of money so you might as well save yourself the headache and let them do the conversion for you.

Archived