Premed 101 Forums

Green card

Guest idreamofmeds

Guest idreamofmeds

Hi,

I am planning to apply to all 6 Ontario schools and a few US schools next year (my third year). My parents applied for Green cards for my whole family 11 years ago. While they still haven't come through, a recent look at our status indicated that we should have them within the year. This is my question-with the green card will I be considered a US citizen? (Pay US fees as opposed to international fees and *hopefully* have an easier time getting in). I want to stay here, but I want the option of going there if I can't get in Ontario. :\

I know that you'll be able to apply to a lot more schools as a permanent resident. I imagine tuition fees will be cheaper too. However, you may end up paying out-of-state fees (as opposed to international student fees).

C.

Guest UWOMED2005

One of my classmates completed her citizenship requirements while she was in first year. As we don't accept international students anymore, I assume she applied as a permanent resident. I'm not sure whether she paid international fees in first year, but considering we don't have any international students it wouldn't make sense to have international fees. . . so I doubt it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest UPENN2003

As far as applying to med school, being a US citizen and being a green card holder do not make a difference.

if you are a green card holder, then you will have the option of applying to your state(public) school, where ever that might be. These places are often easier (except in california) to get into and also you will only have to pay in-state tuition, which is significantly cheaper than out-of-state.

Archived