Premed 101 Forums

AMCAS post-submission process

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys...sorry if this has been addressed long time ago, but after submission to AMCAS, do i just sit back and wait for secondaries to come? how about those online secondaries? can i start those first?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there mt1,

There seem to be three different types of US medical school secondary application approaches:

1) The school screens the primary AMCAS application, and only thereafter do they send out instructions (by mail or e-mail) for completing the secondary to the select candidates. An example of a school that uses this approach is Stanford.

2) The school does not screen the primary AMCAS application, but it is only after receipt of the AMCAS application that they send (by e-mail or mail) instructions on how to access and complete the secondary. Often, if the secondary is available online, it is tucked away in a place that is inaccessible by the rest of the planet. Harvard takes this approach.

3) The school puts the secondary out on the web for all to see. These are the secondaries that you can access at any time and begin completion. Johns Hopkins does this.

It's up to you to find out which of the above approaches each of your school has taken in managing their secondaries. If it is number three then by all means, let the secondary completion begin! :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

thanks kirsteen! is anyone applying to Dartmouth? there is a link to their secondary application, so i assume we can start on that ahead of time. however, they equate one year of chemistry/biology/physics/organic chem as 8 semester hours, not 6. what's the deal?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi again mt1,

I applied to Dartmouth and filled out the secondary a wee while back; you can absolutely complete and submit that one before verification of your AMCAS application. As far as I know the 8 credit system belongs to AMCAS and as long as your transcripts are verified by AMCAS you should have no problems with the 6 or 8 credit systems.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Mala2003

I applied to Dartmouth as well - but I can't seem to find the link to their secondary application. It says on their website that they will "mail" out the secondaries. Does anyone have the link handy?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there Mala2003,

Sorry, but I'm not at home at the moment, else I'd tell you where the link is, if there was one. I'm thinking though, that the Dartmouth application was mailed out to me (it was one of the first secondaries that I completed, and the experiences have started to blend. :b ) Can anyone else verify the application type, in the interim?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

hi guys...about the dartmouth secondary...there seems to be no character limit for the questions they ask...any suggestions as to what length would be appropriate for the "what are you doing for the 2003-2004 academic year", and "tell us something we don't already know" type questions? thanks!

hi! actually have another question...about reference letters. can referees write their own letters and send them off? or do most schools have a form that they prefer? writing one letter, and addressing to different schools seems more efficient than waiting for secondaries to come. how are you guys handling the reference letter requirements? thanks in advance!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi mt1,

For the two Dartmouth questions I ended up submitting a two-page document containing about 350 words per question.

As to the letters of reference, yes, it seems that, unlike Canadian schools, most US schools do not have specific forms to complete to accompany the letters. It seems that the common tack to take is to have the writers construct only one letter and that one letter voyages to all schools. However, if you're only applying to one or two schools, it could also set your letter apart a little if it were customized by your writer to that school.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there mt1,

Once you've submitted your AMCAS application, AMCAS will keep you updated on its progress via e-mail. So, for example, if your transcripts have not yet been received, they will send you a weekly e-mail to remind you that they are not yet at the AMCAS office. Once your application has been verified by AMCAS, they will send you an e-mail noting this, too.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest cause2003

I got an email from Dartmouth saying my application is completed and ready for review.

Here's my time line so far.

Primary done June 30

Transcripts arrived by courier July 3rd

Told refs to send References (Most schools didn't mind if the references came early)

Transcripts go in-line to be verified July 11 (I think)

Transcripts verified July 21

Dartmouth secondary sent and arrives in Hanover July 31

Aug 5 - file complete and ready for review.

Now I hope I hear soon.

Guest Mala2003

Cause2003,

How many reference letters did you send to Dartmouth? They saw 2 but is it better to send more than that? They don't specify WHO the letters should come from. So we can pick non-science professors etc??

Guest cause2003

I sent in the minimum 2. I'm sure it's ok to send Refs from any source, but I had 2 profs because I work with them. If you're unsure you can always email Dartmouth, they were quick getting back to me when I had a question.

As for the # of letters, they will probably add extra ones to your file. For myself I worry that if I sent in 3 and they started evaluating my app after 2 arrived, one letter may not be included (and what if it was my best ref?)

Good luck, cause

Guest Mala2003

This may have been asked before but I just received an email from Thomas Jeffersons regarding my PIN for their secondary application. However, on the AMCAS website, my application is still "active" - not "complete". They haven't verified my transcript/GPA etc. Is this normal? Does AMCAS usually send out a note to the designated schools before they verify the grades?

Also - once AMCAS verifies my transcript, how do I check my calculated GPA?

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Yep, AMCAS does begin transmitting your information prior to verification. Once verified, you may print off your application which will include a breakdown of your yearly GPAs, as well as a cumulative GPA.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived