Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone else receive a call from Calgary?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest bananacreampie

There really is sooo much snow, and it was 20 degress last week. It is crazy. It's amazing to think that Adele was able to call 100 people in one day. Maybe there are still calls coming? (and once the waitlist starts moving, things will happen quick).

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Does that mean you've decided to accept Calgary's offer?
Raging blizzards in May--woo! On the offer, it's the only one I've got thus far, so it's pretty far forward in the wee brain. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest physiology

Hey Kirsteen,

Well, Calgary has its benefits!

1) Cheaper gas - it has hit $1.02/L in Vancouver (is it similar in Ontario?)

2) No provincial sales tax! So, it's like an 8% discount on most things! (7.5% here in BC)

Anyway, but Kirsteen, make sure you carefully consider UBC too :)

The "never colder than zero and never hotter than 30 degree" temperature fluctuations aren't half bad. But do bring an umbrella :)

Guest summervirus
Although folks may receive both, a UofC and UofA offer, is there a similar process and date where Albertan offers become firm and the applicant is removed from the other school's accepted or wait list, akin to the process in Ontario?

I think so. I have a friend last year that got in trouble for being double-registered. She held on to her offer from the UofC and UofA for too long, I think, before making a firm decision. I think she got a phone call in July to ask her to make a decision and withdraw her acceptance from one school asap.

Guest marbledust
The "never colder than zero and never hotter than 30 degree" temperature fluctuations aren't half bad. But do bring an umbrella

Apparently you weren't in the city during the -35 (and colder, not including windchill) weather this winter? ;)

True it doesn't get cold here very often, or at least for not very long, before the glorious Chinook rescues us. But we do get our share of nasty cold winter days (sometimes even in the summer :P ). However, the screwy weather is one of the charming things I love about Calgary. Massive May snowfalls included.

Guest frogcanada

True re: Calgary weather - I love the fluctuations, too.

I thought physiology was talking about Vancouver with the "never colder than zero statement"?

FC

Guest physiology

Haha..sorry, I was being vague.

Yes, the "never colder than zero and never hotter than 30" does refer to Vancouver (I thought the "bring an umbrella" statement would be a dead giveaway).

I'm just trying to steal Kirsteen away.

How much is the price of gas in Calgary? In Van, it's 98.5 cents a litre.

And my parents said that the Alberta PST is incorporated into the cost of everything you buy, but I swear, everything is STILL cheaper in Alberta.

Guest marbledust

Sorry 'bout that...I misread the post. I literally up all night unpacking from a move. Very tired and not thinking (or apparently reading) straight today...:o

Guest aimshigh

Hi all,

Do any of the moderators happen to know if Adele has, in fact, finished all of the first round phone calls? From scrolling through this thread, it looks like only 12 pre-medders got that awesome phone call (congrats :P )! I guess seeing that I check the site pretty regularly, I just figured more people did the same. Maybe there's a whole schwack of people that got offers that aren't regulars here...

Ack! I hate waiting!:rolleyes

Guest Heidio

Congrats to all the applicants that got in to the U of C!

I'm new at this whole thing and this is my first post. But i decided to join the med forum team when I got my call on Sunday from Adele! I look forward to meeting my fellow classmates! Getting in to med school has really limited my possibility of finding a fulltime summer job, so send me a message to keep life interesting until August! And to those who have not yet received a call, I'm not sure Adele would make 100 phone calls in one day...so hopefully your call is on its way soon! Hang in there!

Heidio

PS. To bananacreampie; you're the one that got me into this and now I'm addicted! :)

Guest Lorae

HELLO!!!!

Just got back from thailand (my 2 week distraction from the nerve-wracking waiting)...

my trip was 80% wonderful, spectacular, and paridisical (is that a word??), but sadly the other 20% was spent experiencing an intenstinal ailment I'm sure to learn about one day in med school ;) off to the doctor tomorrow!

I've been awake for like 48 hours, travelled for about 28, air canada sent my bags to japan instead of edmonton, and the leafs were eliminated while i was gone :(

but i had the best answering machine message I've ever received waiting for me when i got home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

I'm 99% sure I'm going to accept Calgary's offer!!

YAY!!

:)

Guest Dafunk

Hey Lorae,

Congrats, I know you worked extemely hard to get where you are based on your posts over the last 2 years. You deserve everything you've accomplished.

Dafunk

Guest Lorae

Thanks Dafunk! It's been a long haul and I'm definitely looking forward to starting the next chapter of my life! I think a lot of people on this website deserve major kudos! It's the most informative and troll-free forum I've ever seen!

Guest mydream88

I am so happy for all of you:rollin ,

I can truly sense your exhiliration :D (is that how it's spelled?!).

I only hope one day soon I will be in your shoes8o !

best of luck and enjoy,

mydream88:)

Guest Jazzey

Hi,

First all, CONGRATULATIONS to all who got the well-deserved phone call. :D I wish each of you the best of luck in the years ahead and hope you have a great time celebrating!!

From reading past posts, it seems unclear whether all accepted applicants receive phone calls. Is anyone certain or not whether all accepted get phone calls before May 15? Is Adele finished with her phone calls? I'd appreciate any info anyone has :)

Thanks so much!

Guest noncestvrai

Congratulations for all of you in getting acceptance. This must be a very emotional moment. Enjoy it fully!

I am truly happy for Kirsteen, and impatiently waitng for the sequel of her CMAJ piece...

noncestvrai

Guest chemgirl

jazzey, in the thread entitled "waitlist and PFO letters" someone says they contacted the office and all successful applicants were notified, and the acceptance packages/waitlist letters/rejection letters are on there way, so we will all have an answer soon.

Guest katwoman2003

FYI: my family went to U of C Med to pick up my admission package today and Susan at Admissions said that all the packages will be mailed today. So I'll see y'all at O-week! K.

Guest UTStudent03

Congratulations to all who were accepted to Calgary, especially you Kirsteen!

I've been in B.C. the past week (and still am) and haven't been on the board in a while so a belated congrats to you all! I hope you become a moderator Kirsteen, you've been a wonderful asset to everyone on the board and undergrads such as myself could still use your advice!

Archived