Premed 101 Forums

Did anyone else receive a call from Calgary?

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Did anyone else receive a telephone message from the University of Calgary yesterday? I came home to one late last night, although not from Adele, from a male doctor. He said he would try to call again this weekend.

I'm keeping some fingers crossed, as I don't know what doctor could be trying to get a hold of me from out west (unless it was re: the CMAJ article) and was wondering if anyone else possibly received a similar notification? :rolleyes

Do folks other than Adele ever make the good calls?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kirsteen

Hi again,

I couldn't make out his name clearly, but it was a short one, e.g., Dr. Nick. Plus, it sounded as though he had a French accent. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bridge

Hmmm, Dr. JF Lemay is the director of admissions and student affairs. Here's hoping it was him with some good news for you!

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there,

Well, the mystery continues. I had to run some errands this morning and early afternoon and was away from the phone. It appears that another call came in at around noon, but I wasn't there to receive it, nor was a message left. I tried calling Calgary Admissions to garner a bit of insight, but alas, no-one was answering the phone at the time.

It could be less of a mystery had other folks been receiving the call, but at this point it just seems odd. Hopefully all's okay with my application. :rolleyes

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Jazz

Given how the oop waitlist moves, maybe they really want you to go to Calgary and want to offer a scholarship or something.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Given how the oop waitlist moves, maybe they really want you to go to Calgary and want to offer a scholarship or something.
Nice thought. :D Do Calgary ever do that? I mean, at this point I'm trawling my brain for ideas as to who this person may be and not necessarily coming up with too much that's so optimistic. :) Plus, I listened to the voicemail again, and the person's name does sound a lot like Dr. Nick, as opposed to the name of the person affiliated with Admissions. I had a look through the Calgary faculty list and found no-one by that sort of name. Geesh.

Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hello again,

Does anyone happen to know Dr. Benno Nigg? He's in the Dept. of Surgery at U. Calgary. Is he involved in the medical school selection process at all?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest bearman14

Hey Kirsteen,

I know Benno quite well. He's the director of the Human Performance Lab in the Faculty of Kinesiology, as well as a heavily published Biomechanist. I worked for him for a time way back in '96, as well as being a grad student in the HPL for 4 years (though not under him). He's a very interesting character! If you want to email me at bearman14@yahoo.com, I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Guest Ian Wong

Congrats! You've either been accepted, or you've got yourself a stalker. Times being what they are, I vote for the former. :)

Ian

Guest bananacreampie

Hey Kirsteen,

I know Benno as well, he is definitely an interesting character. I took some senior level biomechanics classes from him last year. He is probably one of the smartest men I have ever met. He is a professor that makes you think. if you search him on the internet, he actually owns a private company called Biomechanigg, where he contracts out to different companies (ie, adidas, cirque de soleil). Who knows what he wants, will be interesting to find out?!

cheers, bcp

Guest marbledust

Given the date (close to the 15th) and the fact I can't think of any other reason why U of C would call you, I would hope it is an admission offer...

Although, as mentioned, I think if they started calling already, others would have already posted something...maybe. But as we have found out on this forum, there doesn't seem to be any logic to the phone call system, with some people getting a call and others not getting one even though they have a place in the program.

If they haven't started calling about admissions, maybe they are trying to recruit you into a masters or PhD program? I have heard of other people recieving such calls from U of C. That's the only other reason I can think of for them calling, especially someone like Benno Nigg, who I know only by reputation. Although your field is epi no? That might blow my theory out of the water...

Whatever it is, I doubt they would call you with bad news. They must have something good to tell you. Bad news from the U of C almost always comes in letter form...in my experience :)

Guest klukyboy

I just got a call from Adele as well. However, I am pretty sure(though not 100%) that I will be declining and attending U of A. I guess that's good news for any wait-listers. Good luck all.

Guest Tara191

Hi there,

Congratulations to all of you who got accepted!! Just wondering if any of you are OOP?

Thanks!

~T

Guest XIAP

I got the call today as well. I am an Alberta Resident graduate student in Edmonton.

Good luck to those still waiting!

XIAP

Guest 15Sacha

I got rejected from Calgary early on in the process. I just wanted to say congrats to everybody. You guys are awesome and extremely lucky!

BTW, I don't even know you Kirsteen, but I am sooooo impressed with you and I have my fingers and toes crossed. Good luck!:rollin

Guest bananacreampie

Hey,

Just got the call as well. What a surprise on a snowy sunday afternoon. It was Adele.

Congrats everybody!

Guest Jazz

Congratulations everyone!

Anyone know if OOP applicants are called? Haven't heard anything here in BC, hopefully I'll get a decent spot on the waitlist.

Archived