Premed 101 Forums

Two Masters and Mac

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi guys,

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on this... Any clue as to how Mac treats an applicant with an undergrad and two (completed) Masters? I know that, if your cGPA is calculated as being <3.00 then they use the median applicant pool GPA and recalculate your GPA by representing a Masters with that median GPA. ...but what do they do if you have two graduate degrees? Would they use the median applicant pool GPA twice?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MDWannabe

From what I understand, each masters degree counts as a year at the median of the applicant pool. Therefore, 2 masters degrees should work out to 2 years at what has over the past few years been in the range of 3.5 to 3.6.

Guest Beaver

Did you interview at Mac this year?

If not did your undergrad GPA create problems (ie below 3.0).

I met someone there in the same situation (first degree 2.8 GPA) that did a masters and then did a second three year Bsc degree in two years due to transfer credits from the first degree. Their marks in the second degree were great and they got interviews at several places including UofT, Western and Mac!

Something you may consider. Obviously if you did a second degree you would kick ass this time around and it would put you in the driver's seat vrrrom vrrromm :)

Guest Kirsteen

Hey there beaver,

Nope, I didn't interview at Mac this past year: I applied only to UT and UBC, and it wasn't necessarily due to a fear of the sub-3.0 GPA cut-off, it was simply due to a desire to enter the MD/PhD program at either one of these two schools, i.e., a concentration of efforts.

However, in saying that, I've got a lengthy academic record, and quite frankly, my initial crack at university (15 years ago) was grotesque, therefore although I may qualify for Mac now given that my more recent academic performance has been great, I probably remain near that 3.0 border taking all marks into consideration.

So once the requirements for this year are released I'll be taking a good look at them all and Mac will be high on that target list for the straight MD program (as will a number of other schools).

Cheers, and many grazies for your advice,

Kirsteen

Archived