Premed 101 Forums

4- vs. 3-year program

Guest alysha05

Guest alysha05

Hello,

I'd like to get your feedback on the benefits of a 4 or 3 year program. I'm leaning towards 4 years, as I feel the summers will give me opportunity to do research, shadow and network with physicians, etc.

However, I realize that with a 3-year program I'm saving an extra year's worth of tuition and can start residency, and hence earn some money, sooner. This will mean less debt (hopefully).

Can students in either program structure comment on the advantages and disadvantages?

thank you in advance!

Guest blinknoodle

Hey there,

One advantage for me about the 4 year program was that it allowed me more time to figure out which residency I'd prefer. I found I had ample time to do observerships with different preceptors throughout the year as well as during the summers. With all this experience, I am still not sure where I'd be most comfortable with (I have a top 4 right now), but at least I am not feeling rushed and I have evaluated my options. I am anticipating that clerkship will be the time I finally start to solidify my decision to a narrower list.

I used to know the stats, but it is something like 20% of medical students go into what they originally wanted in first year, and the majority were those who wanted family. So even if you really feel like you know what you want to do, it is nice to have the time to assess your options, have some summers, and enjoy the ride.

Guest Lurkergonepublic

I've heard the "4 years gives you more time to pick a specialty" explanation often, and it seems reasonable. Yet, I have never heard anyone from a 3 year program complain about not having enough time. Is there anyone here who did feel way too rushed to make the decision in such a program? Or knows someone who did? Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

There were a couple of people in my class (UofC--3-year curriculum) who remained undecided between 2-3 career paths going into clerkship. So yes, some extra time within a curriculum might help with such decision-making. However, even within 4-year programs, I know some folks who are currently in clerkship facing the same indecision. Additionally, no matter how long the program, there is also the situation of being newly-exposed to attractive fields during clinical core rotations and switching career paths. In short, if you're in a 3-year program, there are ample opportunities to be able to help you make career decisions.

A couple of other things to consider re: 3-year programs are, for one, it's a pretty hectic time. For those 3 years you're on the go and some folks can find it stressful and/or demanding. However, you're finished the program in one less year which amounts to some good stuff, namely, big savings on school-related costs and a faster entrance to residency where salary earning begins.

If you're in the position of choosing between a 3- and 4-year program (as I was a few years ago) it can be helpful to make a list of the pros and cons of each program. (There are more than those described above, and some will reflect personal preferences.) Overall, I'm quite satisfied with my choice of a 3-year program and am looking forward to beginning residency next year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived