Premed 101 Forums

Effect of Can. Health Care System?

Guest MacDaddy

Guest MacDaddy

A query from the Mac folk, interviewees and insiders alike:

I was flabbergasted by the question on MacEssay asking how has the state of Canadian health care system affected my decision to study medicine. Honestly, it hasn't! But I am not "honest" enough to say that on the essay. I made up some BS, and that could've been my downfall.

But I bet most folk do make up BS for such a question; since Can. health care syst. (although a concern for sure and important to us all) is an afterthought in making personal life-decisions.

Oh yes, my Questions:

Has it affected your decision to study meds? If not, how did you sneak through that trap?

Guest Carolyn

I think it is there to ensure you have thought about the current reality of the health care system -- I approached it by listing some of the challenges that I've seen/experienced in the HC system but then wrote something like "despite the challenges, they face, I've been inspired by some of the physicians I have worked with and how they continue to provide excellent care..." -- I'm sure it wasn't so cheesy... and I'm SURE i didn't use the word "inspired" :b

I think there is also room to discuss how you might use some of your skills to make your small mark and help to improve the system. You could also discuss experiences in other countries with their HC system and point out some of the major benefits of the HC system in Canada -- lots of room to not BS the question and lots of room to bring in your own experiences.

I'm not trying to tell anyone how to answer the question - just that I believe all of the questions allow you to bring in personal experiences and help build a picture of yourself for the reader.

take care.

Guest medwant2b

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote>Quote:<hr> I was flabbergasted by the question on [the] MacEssay ...since [the] Can. health care syst. is an afterthought in making personal life-decisions.<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

IMHO the question is fair. I'm an applicant, and thus may have some misperceptions about medicine--but I think the good physicians (among other things) see the whole picture.

Also, if you're applying for a job, that is beyond the level of flipping hamburgers, there is some expectation you know the company, have an idea of the business that they do and what issues they face as a business. Being able to show you know about the job you're applying for shows you've done your research and really are interested in it-- companies look for it. I imagine the adcom thinking, in that respect, is similar to that of companies.

I agree that the decision is personal, but that is why I think that question is important to consider. If you become a physician in this country the state of health care in this country (and the issues facing it) is then your working conditions. Your working conditions are arguably quite personal.

Take Care, medwant2b

Archived