Premed 101 Forums

need help for autobiographical letter....

tvan

hi, i obtained a bach in engineering and have been working as an engineer for over 2 years. i don't like much the engineering industry, and after talking to a few friends in dentistry, i realized that i would also like to pursue a career in that field.

i am planning to apply to mcgill, and one of the requirements is to write an autobiographical letter. could anyone help me with the following question:

- why switch from engineering to dentistry and not to something else?

i realize i can't really say that because i am fed up with the engineering industry, can anyone give me some suggestion as to what i should write to explain why switch from engineering to dentistry?

Thanks

Well, I think it's best if you sit down and ask yourself why you want to be a dentist and not why you want out of engineering. The whole point of the letter is not to tell them why you don't want to be an engineer anymore, but why you chose Dentistry out of all the jobs available. You haven't told us why you didn't decide to pursue another career, like accounting. You state that "you would like to pursue a career in that field [dentistry]" so tell us what in Dentistry made you decide this is the career for you and what makes you best suited for a Dental Career. If you can gather all that and put it into a letter, you'll definitely come across the admissions committee as a good candidate. If not, then maybe you should re-evaluate your choice or spend more time better understanding what Dentistry is about, ie. by shadowing your friends.

Also keep in mind that pursuing this path means investing more money ~100,000 on avg depending on the school, loss of income which you could have made working as an engineer, increase in stress because it's a whole new ballpark and the bar gets raised a few notches, and finally, stress that comes with starting out. If you still desire to pursue Dentistry given these drawbacks, then by no means go for it.

Archived