Premed 101 Forums

MCAT Score and UBC

Hi there,

I did a good bit of work in Taiwan while within the high-tech sector and spent a bit of time in Tai'chung. Did you happen to run into any of those oddball, palm-sized white spiders while down there? (I've never encountered anything quite like those, even after living in arachnoid-filled Australia.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

I am familiar with what you are talking about, but no I was unfortunate enought to miss them! However, there was an earthquake while I was there - and I also learned about Taiwans huge self defense forces and their preparations against a Chinese take over!!

Hi thanks for the reply. I did not get down to Tai Chung myself. I'm actually in Tokyo as we speak...my family is spending Christmas here. Sure makes waiting for UBC's January interview offers easier by being away and busy...

I have been to Hong Kong before, lived in the heart of Taipei City, but nothing compares to the hustle and bustle of this city of 12 milliion people! The bullet train in Tokyo is absolutely insanely packed with people...not good for us claustrophobics!

I wish I was so lucky as to be travelling at the moment!

Are you familiar with Tokyo?

If not, be sure to check out Shinjuku's entertainment district in the evening. Akihabara (sp?) is the electronic district which was very cool to check out. I also spent a fair amount of time in Ikebukuru as they have good food and decent shopping.

For those of you interested, I put some of my overseas (and local) photos up here http://members.shaw.ca/picture_gallery

Cheers

thanks ...I have not been to Shinjuku yet, but have been to Harajuku and checked out Shibuya last night. The neon signs and billboards of "Lost in Translation" were awesome. I guess it is the Times Square of Tokyo. Looking forward to Ginza district today or tomorrow...and the Tokyo Museum. thx for you suggestions. Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
my pre-req avg isn't too hot (I was once a bad, bad student) and I'm hoping my (future) mcat score can compensate for this somewhat. Does anyone know if this is the case and what's considered a flag in regards to the pre-req avg?

Re-taking a pre-req course doesn't help your application at UBC. According to my conversations with UBC admissions, the best thing you can do to remedy a low pre-req score is to take the advanced course and do well in it. For example, if you did poorly in organic chem but got an A in Organic Chem, you have clearly demonstrated to the admissions office that you know and understand organic chemistry.

8 is not a flag. 7 and below is a flag.

Now... I'm not involved in admissions so I can't say that for sure MCAT scores 8 and above are all looked at the same. It's just the impression I get. The only factor MCAT seems to play in admissions is whether or not you get a flag, therefore how far above 7 your score is doesn't seem to matter all that much.

This is consistent with my conversations with UBC admissions, and people who I know personally with 7's and 8's who have and have not been admitted to UBC med. An 8 is no problem. A 7 is a big issue.

• 2 weeks later...
This is consistent with my conversations with UBC admissions, and people who I know personally with 7's and 8's who have and have not been admitted to UBC med. An 8 is no problem. A 7 is a big issue.

I know they look at both the pre-req GPA and MCAT after interviewing. Hence, could a poor VR score be made up for with an excellent grade in an English course?

Archived