Premed 101 Forums

Competitive Residencies: Impossible or possible?

tooty

Going into those types of comp speciality is difficult for an American Carb grad, and down right impossible for a Canadian Carb grad.

Concerning moderately competitive residencies such as general surgery, emergency medicine, anesthesia, etc and NOT derm, rads, ortho, plastics, ENT etc... I've done a lot of reading in valuemd and studentdoctor and have come to the conclusion that trying to match to these residencies will be tough, but not impossible. You need good board scores, good letters of reference, do the rotations that are pertinent to specialty of your interest. Come match time, you will have to apply to more residency programs far and wide in order to get interviews.

Yes it will be tough to score well on USMLE step 1 and 2, and it will be tough to perform well on your rotations, but I believe it to be possible.

Here is a list of residencies that St. George Canadian graduates matched to.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=psyLPQZjrlK9pereijtnREA

Would anyone else like to shed some light on this matter? I'm only one dude. It would be wicked to hear about people (and their stats!!) who have gone through this process themselves or personally know of anyone. Let's pool together our resources to decern exactly how impossible it is for students looking to go to the Caribbeans for medicine.

Yes, but the list does not differentiate between preliminary and categorical matches, so a match to surgery according to that list might not mean too much..

ya if they dont have designated priliminary or categorical surgery resident positions...then its useless.

makes me wonder how many of those are non-designated preliminary...um...a simple google search can tell you...most residents are on their websites...blah, easier if i knew their names :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived