Premed 101 Forums

Western students and AMCAS gpa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I was a former UWOer, and I have applied through AMCAS. I can confirm the following, and it was shocking to me:

80.0+ = 4.00

70.0-79.9 = 3.00

60.0-69.9= 2.00

50.0-59.9 - 1.00

You take each course and turn the mark into a GPA, and then average the GPAs of individual courses (weight half courses as 0.5, and full courses as 1.0).

I assume that the same holds true for the other big Ontario universities.

Also, having applied more than once to the U.S., I cannot stress a few points that will help a lot.

1. APPLY EARLY - that means in July, seriously

2. HIGH MCAT - its important

3. Don't expect that interviews will turn into offers. I have had many interviews, and few offers, and I honestly do not believe I interviewed poorly, but it was rather that as a Canadian, they bias against you. Its not that your Canadian, but more so that you didn't come from a prestigious U.S. institution.

Thanks excalibre...

WOW...according to AMCAS my gpa would jump from 3.72 to 3.85!!!! I guess its beneficial to me because I had 10 A- and only 2 B+. So having a B+ scale (3.3) does not really help me. DAMM I wish I went to western. My bro is gonna love this info!!!!

For high school premeds wannabees who are reading this...GO TO WESTERN!!!!!!! Not only do they have a nice GPA scale for AMCAS but hot girls :) lol.

so is that the gpa system western uses normally too? or is that only the AMcas way?

I find it so weird that the universityies in ontario all have differnet gpa systems....

AMCAS way. Trust me...you havent seen some of the crazy US gpa systems :P P/F schools, 80-89 is a B+ schools, lol. Canadian premed schools are normal in that regards...thats why MCAT is the great equalizer. Even though I think once you get a high enough MCAT score the presitige of the school matters less so and gpa more so...

Hi,

I was a former UWOer, and I have applied through AMCAS. I can confirm the following, and it was shocking to me:

80.0+ = 4.00

70.0-79.9 = 3.00

60.0-69.9= 2.00

50.0-59.9 - 1.00

You take each course and turn the mark into a GPA, and then average the GPAs of individual courses (weight half courses as 0.5, and full courses as 1.0).

I assume that the same holds true for the other big Ontario universities.

Also, having applied more than once to the U.S., I cannot stress a few points that will help a lot.

1. APPLY EARLY - that means in July, seriously

2. HIGH MCAT - its important

3. Don't expect that interviews will turn into offers. I have had many interviews, and few offers, and I honestly do not believe I interviewed poorly, but it was rather that as a Canadian, they bias against you. Its not that your Canadian, but more so that you didn't come from a prestigious U.S. institution.

:o

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

*dies*

This is heaven... lmao

Are you sure that's right?

It almost seems too good to be true haha.

:o

ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

*dies*

This is heaven... lmao

Are you sure that's right?

It almost seems too good to be true haha.

lol if it is true...it wont be for long. I have a sense lots of uoft (who are born to be complainers hahaha) writing a letter to AMCAS and making a switch. Considering I would jump 0.13 GPA (3.72 to 3.85) point scale if AMCAS used WESTERN instead of bloody UofT scale hahaha. But then again I am probably an anomaly considering my A- to B+ ratio....I bet there are lots of uoft kids with more B+ that this scale actually HELPS them...heh

nooo.. I don't want themto change it lol

i actually have a slightly higher one with the uoft calc.. altho I'm sure if I went to western my gpa would be higher anyway lol (just kidding just kidding)

But I doubt they would change it anyway since it has been like that for a long time no?

They must have some reason behind it lol

hey

i was just wondering if i am eligible to apply to US schools if i am only a permanent resident of Canada..??..canadian students will be still considered to be international applicants rite??

I don't think it matters, however to be able to apply, most american schools I checked require you to have done your undergraduate in Canada, many of the schools don't allow students educated overseas to apply.

The 2nd thing is that your visa will be much harder to get to the states and are you really willing to risk your canadian citizenship to go to school in the states?

Doesn't make any difference for me, I went to undergrad in the US anyway....so I don't have to worry about the conversions. And to be honest, I think it will be a plus for me in the US.

Now that I think about it, I have an American HS diploma, as well!!! Dude, I spent a LONG time there!!!

It would make perfect sense to get my MD there, too....the second I get in there, I'm gonna apply for a green card, because with HS, undergrad, and med I will have spent a cumulative 10 years there. About time I get legal status!

i was just wondering if i am eligible to apply to US schools if i am only a permanent resident of Canada..??..canadian students will be still considered to be international applicants rite??

So your question is asking if there is a difference between a Canadian citizen and a Landed immigrant (resident of Canada)? If it is, as far as I am aware its one and the same thing. Make sure "the landed immigrant letter" is not pasted on a Saudi Arabian or Syrian or Iranian or North Korean passport. That might give you a problem. But other than that you are fine.

Some schools consider Canadian applications "OUT OF STATE", that means you are in a quota that restricts the number of OOS students. eg. If you are from Canada at Wayne U then you are consider OOS, but if you are from Australia you are consider international. This is good because they accept more OOS then they do international students.

But at vast majority of schools (from my experience), Canadians, or more specifically students who need F-1 visa, are considered international. And the quota of acceptances is smaller. Thus harder.

I don't think it matters, however to be able to apply, most american schools I checked require you to have done your undergraduate in Canada, many of the schools don't allow students educated overseas to apply.

Only couple schools I know that allow Canadians but only if they are educated in the states. eg. UofRochester. but otherwise it doesnt matter. The education you get at UofT, Western,Queens, etc are considered on the same level of any American University.

The 2nd thing is that your visa will be much harder to get to the states and are you really willing to risk your canadian citizenship to go to school in the states?

what are you talking about???? Unless you are invited to the British House of Lords and want to pull a Conrad Black, then you can renounce your Canadian citizenship. Otherwise you can keep dual citizenship -American and Canadian lol.

Hope this helps,

Sir Sonyvaio :P

what are you talking about???? Unless you are invited to the British House of Lords and want to pull a Conrad Black, then you can renounce your Canadian citizenship. Otherwise you can keep dual citizenship -American and Canadian lol.

Hope this helps,

:D :D :D AHAHAHA, why thank you Sir.

oh i see what you mean. I thought to get your Canadian citizenship you dont have to live in the country. accept do the taxes? Maybe I am wrong. You might have to stay in Canada during the summer (to establish resdiency), also remember you can do ALL your 4th year rotations in Canada if you choose!...so you just away parts of 3 years...should not be a big deal...call imigrations to make sure though.

Some schools consider Canadian applications "OUT OF STATE", that means you are in a quota that restricts the number of OOS students. eg. If you are from Canada at Wayne U then you are consider OOS, but if you are from Australia you are consider international. This is good because they accept more OOS then they do international students.

But at vast majority of schools (from my experience), Canadians, or more specifically students who need F-1 visa, are considered international. And the quota of acceptances is smaller. Thus harder.

Hope this helps,

Haha!

I agree with the fact that Canadian applicants are sometimes treated in a separate pool from the non-North American students. But a permanent residency in Canada usually suffices. I can't recall the schools' names for the life of me, but I e-mailed several US schools who claimed to not accept foreign students in the MSAR last year, and they all said they take Canadian applicants.

I know what hippie is talking about in regards to renouncing Canadian citizenship to go in the States though, Sony: if I were to go to the States, I would also lose my right to Canadian citizenship. Here's why - your "skilled worker" immigration visa (which is what I have - "skilled worker," oh boy :D ) has certain restrictions.....you have 5 years from the day you land in Canada before you qualify for a Canadian citizenship. But in order to qualify, you must spend a cumulative 3 years out of those 5 in Canada. If you don't, you have to wait another 5 years (and spend 3 years in Canada during those NEXT 5 years) to get the citizenship.

Also, you need to spend a minimum of TWO years out of those 5 just to KEEP your permanent residency (which really gives you all you need besides voting rights and a Canadian passport with the ensuing consequences regarding travel).

So, I know that if I go to med in the US starting in 2008, I will have lived here long enough to maintain my permanent residency status, but if I wanted to get my citizenship in 2010, I'd have to go out of my way and fly back to Canada on every single break (summers, etc) to accumulate those 3 years.

I suspect that this is what Hippie is referring to.

Hippie, I would stay in Canada long enough to ensure you maintain your PR status by the time 5 years since your landing expire. Otherwise, you'll be stuck between a rock and a hard place - you'll have a very hard time staying in the States and you may become inadmissible to Canada which would require you to apply for PR yet again. Even if you don't stay here for 3 years and get citizenship, if you are a PR, you can still come back here without any difficulty and have nearly all the rights that a citizen has. Your main concern should be the ability to work, which you have as a PR.

Thanks Jochi, it makes sense now!

Here is a gov't number to find out more info about this

but i think you can still do this:

Med summers in Canada (1-3 years of school) =8 months

most of 4th year rotations in Canada = 8months

Edit:

On second thought you cant:

16 month out of 4 years and I presume your 5th year is completely in Canada lol.

so you have 12+16 = 28 months = 2.3, just short to maintain your residency (3 years according to jochi)...you might have to stay one extra year in Canada and apply

I know its technically wrong...but I know ppl WHO have lived in the states and maintained their residency in Canada. Rememeber all you need is a mailing address. so if you have family you can use that.

Just make sure when you come to canada you dont take the airplane...hehe. I love loopholes

Archived