Premed 101 Forums

Western students and AMCAS gpa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am utterly confused here.

Any mark over 80% from Western is a 4.00 down the border?

That does not sound logical at all if you ask me...Am I misunderstanding something here?

Ya, you missing something :) Remember if you have lots of B+'s you are toast if you use the Western AMCAS scale. So, I guess this even things out in the end...

sucks though if you have lots of 82 and 83s at uoft :P. makes you wonder why you choose uoft doesnt it? hahaha.

Hi, I can only speak confidently about UWO. I posted a link to the AMCAS GPA conversion chart which gives the Canadian conversions. However, you can't rely on it, since I did, and they used a scale listed under another section (not the Canadian section). The best thing to do is to phone AMCAS and ask. They will probably try and tell you to just look at the chart or dismiss you, but if you are persistant and say you absolutely need to talk to the person in charge of checking GPAs you can get through and ask one of them.

g'luck

There is a chart that follows that weighting... A=4.0, B=3.0, C=2.0, D=1.0

Anybody else from Western have their GPA calculated the same way?

I did my undergrad at UWO. When I received my verified AMCAS application, they had calculated my GPA as noted above. For those who don't know, UWO gives percentages, not letter grades. AMCAS converted all my percentages into letter grades (80-100 = A, etc) then converted the letters into GPA format (A = 4.0). This process definitely increased my GPA as I had a lot of low 80's (not many 70's however). Not sure if this applies to all schools or just UWO. I suspect it might have something to do with the lack of letter grades and the subsequent conversion into them?

Dont mean to start a flamewar, but do you guys think that conversion is really fair for someone with low 80s from other Unversities? In spite of marks in the 70s being equivalent to 3.00 for Western...hence cancelling out everything, and yali-yali-yara...I still fail to see how that justifies the system.

Again, I want to stress that I do not want to fight over this. Really.

I just think the conversion is flawed, that's all. Not to take anything away from UWO students because there are truly excellent students there, and its not their fault for the conversion being this way.

I'd like some constructive thoughts (comments like "It's life, suck it up" dont qualify) on this, rather than resorting to personal attacks to resolve this issue

I'd like some constructive thoughts (comments like "It's life, suck it up" dont qualify) on this, rather than resorting to personal attacks to resolve this issue

It's life, suck it up!

Honestly though, what kind of constructive thoughts can anyone give on this issue? That's the way AMCAS has set it up and debating over it isn't gonna change anything. I really don't see the point of debating about how AMCAS has chosen to convert grades - it is how it is so why waste time worrying about it?

GPA rewards consistency, whereas averages work out to be more lenient with a few 'bad' marks. If you consistently do well, you'll gave a good GPA no matter what conversion system you fall under.

I realize this is of no help and not 'constructive' but that's life! SUCK IT UP! :P

Even though my GPA is LOTS lower using the UofT AMCAS scale (3.72 versus 3.85). I think UofT gave me lots of oppurtunities for research (I published twice during undergrad) that I would not have gotten at UWO.

So there are advantages and disadvantages going to uoft. don't feel bad. and as madz said. SUCK IT UP. :P

lol jochi

sony - why was your GPA lower? my UofT GPA was the same as my AMCAS GPA...

you are right. My AMCAS GPA was the same as my UofT gpa.

I am just saying if AMCAS used the same scale as they use for Western students, my gpa would be higher. At this point i dont care...so lets drop this subject please lol.

Man, I'm glad I went to school in the US so I don't have to worry about this crap!!!!

:P

LOL, crazyness.

Anyway, I used to live in the US... it was only for a bit. Anyway, a long time ago I got accepted to get a greencard, and well- we had no intention of immigrating to the US, and just kept our application on hold. I talked to my dad, and he told me that there's a chance we get the case reopened and that I could get an official US address (with my grandma in Cali)... I'm trying to see if that would help... I'm interested in some California schools, would they consider me a resident if that was the case? For example, I really like UCSD (so much family in the San Diego), but they only accept applications from US applicants... would I be considered a US applicant if I did what my dad was suggesting?

I'm not too good w/all this bureaucratic immigration stuff. lol

I'm interested in some California schools, would they consider me a resident if that was the case? For example, I really like UCSD (so much family in the San Diego), but they only accept applications from US applicants... would I be considered a US applicant if I did what my dad was suggesting?

You will probably be out of state unless you are willing to commit to living there for a few years. I don't know the details (no interest in California.....too much smog, traffic, and earthquakes), but I'd visit the websites and check. However, you would still be considered a US applicant. They don't care where you live when they determine domestic vs international.

LOL, crazyness.

Anyway, I used to live in the US... it was only for a bit. Anyway, a long time ago I got accepted to get a greencard, and well- we had no intention of immigrating to the US, and just kept our application on hold. I talked to my dad, and he told me that there's a chance we get the case reopened and that I could get an official US address (with my grandma in Cali)... I'm trying to see if that would help... I'm interested in some California schools, would they consider me a resident if that was the case? For example, I really like UCSD (so much family in the San Diego), but they only accept applications from US applicants... would I be considered a US applicant if I did what my dad was suggesting?

yes, thats the only way you can apply to UC San Diego, since they dont take international students.

if you want to be a resident try texas or florida :), its "easier" to get into med school if you are from that state.

Californian meds schools could be in someways harder to get into then ontario med schools

Unfortunately if this all works out, the only places that I think I can get "resident" status with is California or Michigan.

I'm really interested in UC San Diego and U of Michigan... does anyone know about acceptance to UofM? How hard is it to get in?

I was also wondering if they're considering me a "resident," but only because I have an official address there... and when I apply I really wouldn't have been there, won't that kind of come up in an interview? lol

I was also wondering if they're considering me a "resident," but only because I have an official address there... and when I apply I really wouldn't have been there, won't that kind of come up in an interview? lol

I'm wondering about the same thing. I have family in the US but I dont have a green card. From what Law is saying do you need a green card plus the US address to be able to apply as an american candidate? That would be sweet

Unfortunately if this all works out, the only places that I think I can get "resident" status with is California or Michigan.

I'm really interested in UC San Diego and U of Michigan... does anyone know about acceptance to UofM? How hard is it to get in?

Is the reason you want to go to UofM is because you admire Sanjay Gupta? lol. UofM is a top 20 school, so you need 3.7+, 35+ to stand a chance. They have automatic interviews so its sweet (like queens, western :)). THey have selective interiews too (not like queens or western :()

To be a "resident" of a state, really depends on the state. SOme states they require you to own a car, a house, and vote. Each state is different, and some are easier to become resident in then others.

Is the reason you want to go to UofM is because you admire Sanjay Gupta? lol. UofM is a top 20 school, so you need 3.7+, 35+ to stand a chance. They have automatic interviews so its sweet (like queens, western ). THey have selective interiews too (not like queens or western )

Haha, he's only my LIFE ROLE MODEL!

Kidding aside, I like UofM because I have a lot of family in Michigan, and have visited lots of times and like it there. I talked to a lot of them, and they all seemed to indicate UofM was a good school. What's a selective interview? Oh, and is it rolling admission there too? It would be so sweet if I got into med school early in 4th year... take away some of the nervousness.

Haha, he's only my LIFE ROLE MODEL!

Kidding aside, I like UofM because I have a lot of family in Michigan, and have visited lots of times and like it there. I talked to a lot of them, and they all seemed to indicate UofM was a good school. What's a selective interview? Oh, and is it rolling admission there too? It would be so sweet if I got into med school early in 4th year... take away some of the nervousness.

For those of you dont know. Sanjay Gupta, the CNN reporter, did his undergrad, MD degree and also neurosurgery residency at UofM. He is sorta of a legend there I would imagine.

By selective interviews I meant, interviews granted to individuals who might not have 35+, 3.7+ stats (for these high stats students interview is automatic).

Yes it is rolling, you can find out acceptance on Oct 15th, the earliest day a school can tell their non-EDP students.

For those of you dont know. Sanjay Gupta, the CNN reporter, did his undergrad, MD degree and also neurosurgery residency at UofM. He is sorta of a legend there I would imagine.

By selective interviews I meant, interviews granted to individuals who might not have 35+, 3.7+ stats (for these high stats students interview is automatic).

Yes it is rolling, you can find out acceptance on Oct 15th, the earliest day a school can tell their non-EDP students.

Can you have more than one state you're a resident of?

say you had an address in 2 of the states? lol

Can you have more than one state you're a resident of?

say you had an address in 2 of the states? lol

It doesn't work as just a function of an address......You have to look at particular schools' requirements. Same as in Canada - U of A will tell you 12 months consecutive before enrollment, but UBC will tell you 24 months consecutive before application.

I lived in MN for 4 years but wasn't considered a state resident by U of Minnesota because I attended a private educational institution full-time.

Resident for tax purposes (which I was) and resident for med admissions purposes are 2 different things.

Archived