Premed 101 Forums

Western students and AMCAS gpa

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool cool, is one of the requirements great looks :cool: lol

Here's the Cliff's Notes version for U of MN:

Residency

If you are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident (green card), you are considered a Minnesota resident if:

* You have lived in Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to your first day of class attendance, and

* Your primary reason for being in Minnesota is not to attend school.

An out-of-state history, including transfer coursework, graduation from a non-Minnesota high school, and out-of-state work experience, may result in an initial classification of nonresident.

UCSD:

The laws governing the establishment of California residence for tuition purposes provide that residence can be established by adult citizens and by certain classes of adult aliens. Students seeking to be classified residents for tuition purposes upon admission must be able to provide evidence of having established residence in California for more than one year immediately preceding the residence determination date of the term for which such classification is sought, and must have relinquished any prior residence. PHYSICAL PRESENCE WITHIN THE STATE SOLELY FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE ESTABLISHMENT OF CALIFORNIA RESIDENCE FOR TUITION PURPOSES REGARDLESS OF THE LENGTH OF STAY IN CALIFORNIA.

Similar, as you can see.

Hmm, I think I might be able get away with UCSD.

I have so much family there, and my grandma would definitely put my name along hers on her house.

I would have then estalished residency there... "gone away for school" - while still retaining that official address. And for all intents and purposes, I doooooo live there when school is done. haha

Hmm, I think I might be able get away with UCSD.

I have so much family there, and my grandma would definitely put my name along hers on her house.

I would have then estalished residency there... "gone away for school" - while still retaining that official address. And for all intents and purposes, I doooooo live there when school is done. haha

You'd probably have to check what EXACTLY needs to be done, just having an adress there may not be sufficient. They might want to see that you worked in the state, etc.

you know what frustrates me ... my school gives out marks in % and with the trascript they include this wonderful little sheet that says that:

80-100% is equivalent to an A

70-79 B

and so forth.... but nobody actually cares!!!! i mean nobody looks at the sheet and says well for the school to have 80 equal A, it must mean that they are not very fond on giving marks above 80...

anywho... my rant for the day... does anybody know if this is considered by some school... somewhere on this planet (or universe if you will)?

Hey bud,

They're over here:

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

There are a list of Canadian conversions... however, as others have noted, AMCAS hasn't been using them for them all the time. Like for western they used the third 'white' row on the chart labelled "Numeric - 4.0 Type". (80+=4, 70+=3, etc)

Hey guys, where are you finding the GPA conversions?

If you are still confused...Best to ask someone in your undergrad school who has applied through AMCAS before. Especially since GPA conversions still vary school to school in Canada. Calling AMCAS is hopeless because they will direct you to the file "the law" posted.

I don't have the MSAR book, and I'm trying to figure out some of the GPA and MCAT req's for US schools...anybody able to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

MSAR is the best.

These sites are good too:

http://www.studentdoc.com/medfind.html

http://www.mdapplicants.com (i like this one)

http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/premed/MCAT_GPA_List.htm

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/grad/rankings/med/medindex.php (need subscription)

My advice...apply really really widely. You never know...who will interview/accept you...because the process is so darn random. For example, UVM doesnt take lots of international students according to MSAR (2/26)...but I got accepted. And in fact, they accept around 6-8 international student each year (according to USnews). So, different places give me different info...point is that apply widely you never know! but the process is not as random as a Macmaster interview hahahaha.

Hey guys, where are you finding the GPA conversions? I don't have the MSAR book, and I'm trying to figure out some of the GPA and MCAT req's for US schools...anybody able to point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Your university's academic advising/career ctr should carry a copy of the MSAR. Otherwise you can purchase it off amazon or the AAMC website. It really is the most efficient source out there...

you know what frustrates me ... my school gives out marks in % and with the trascript they include this wonderful little sheet that says that:

80-100% is equivalent to an A

70-79 B

and so forth.... but nobody actually cares!!!! i mean nobody looks at the sheet and says well for the school to have 80 equal A, it must mean that they are not very fond on giving marks above 80...

anywho... my rant for the day... does anybody know if this is considered by some school... somewhere on this planet (or universe if you will)?

I think its specifically that 'wonderful little sheet' that the AMCAS GPA is based (though I think they also try and see what the percentages of students get A+s, As, A-s, B+s, B-s etc... and incorporate that into their master GPA conversion chart).

So, the answer is, yeah, that wonderful sheet might save your ass since they don't give out that many As (but if they don't consider the school's own GPA guide, well then you might have a problem).

Archived