Premed 101 Forums

transfer from usa college to canadian undergrad med program?

Guest bowlnoodle

Guest bowlnoodle

I am currently a student in america. I was wondering if i could transfer to a med school as an undergraduate student. I really dotn know anything about the whole med school system for Canada. Thanks.

Guest Jochi1543

What do you mean, "undergrad med program"? Med school is post-grad. It`s basically the same system here as in the States, I`m in the States now and moving to Canada after graduation, so I`ve been checking out this type of stuff for a while.

Why do you wanna transfer to Canada specifically?

Guest moo

Medical school is technically an undergraduate professional degree program. It is NOT post-graduate. Post-graduate is residency.

As for transferring to Canada, it's probably very difficult. It's hard enough as it is to transfer from school to school. Some schools probably only take Canadian med schools. I think UBC takes LCME school transfers but like I said, very hard. You have to be a Canadian, and probably a resident of the province plus some compelling reason to transfer (family member is sick, spouse with a new job, etc.)

Guest aneliz

Unless you are already registered in a medical school in the US, your chances of transfer are zero.

And even then, it will still be very hard. Few Cdn schools take transfer students, those that do will usually only take students from Canadian schools, that are Canadian citizens... and they have to have 'room' in the class that you want into (ie somebody has dropped out/transferred elsewhere or taken a year off).

Guest UWOMED2005

Meds 2005 has a transfer student from a medical school in Ohio. He's a Canadian citizen. I have NO clue about the details of the transfer. . . this sort of thing is VERY rare.

Archived