Premed 101 Forums

UofT rejections

So I'm getting more and more scared of an ever more likely UofT rejection. I've been looking at mdapplicants.com, and saw some really fantastic profiles. I won't link any here, but many I've come across strike me as the "you are getting in everywhere" ones, yet the people are getting rejected almost everywhere.

Look at this one for example,

MCAT Score: VR 12, PS 13, BS 13, R

BCPM GPA: 3.94

Overall GPA: 3.92

Brief Profile:

Two summers of research, some hospital volunteering (few odd months scattered here and there), fencing, classical piano, some awards.

Ottawa= Rejection

Toronto= Rejection. (Both with no interview).

And these applicants didn't have to deal with the double cohort.

so.. what's going on.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Presumably they wrote a crummy essay. Lots of people have good grades and standard extracurriculars; at U of T, the nonacademic material counts for a lot. Keep in mind that MCATs are used as a flag only, so there's no point in using that to predict whether or not someone will get an interview.

btw, i find a lot of ppl using MD applicants are also applying to the states. then all sorts of factors come into play - e.g., how early did they apply etc. you really don't know what kind of essay someone wrote. maybe they can't communicate all their great experiences in a clear, convincing, manner? i think a little luck plays a small role as well, sometimes the process does seem like a bit of a crapshoot. but don't be discouraged until you get an actual rejection letter. waiting sure sucks; but patience, truly is a virtue.

Presumably they wrote a crummy essay. Lots of people have good grades and standard extracurriculars; at U of T, the nonacademic material counts for a lot. Keep in mind that MCATs are used as a flag only, so there's no point in using that to predict whether or not someone will get an interview.

This is true. My roommate was reviewing applicant files this week, and she spent an average of 1.4 hours PER applicant, even if the application was weak. They review everything: sketch, essays, and references. Often, the references themselves weren't negative, but they weren't very personal so they didn't convey the right message. Since you don't usually have any idea of what your referees wrote, this component is usually out of your control.

However, it's comforting to know that they do spend that much time going through the application. There's a second review where a group of reviewers get together - student reviewers and faculty - and summarize each applicant file. I'm not sure what happens after that.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that little bit of information. Not sure if this was the right place to do it, but perhaps a thread on rejection could use some good news. Rest assured that they are reading everything and taking it very seriously.

haven't received my rejection yet, though I'm kind of expecting one to be honest. do they send them out randomly or is there some sort of preference of order?

The invites and rejections are sent out in waves, and the website states that the order has no significance. in reponse to the previous post, I have an advisor who also evualates the applications at U of T, and the references are given more weight than at other schools. he was adamant that the references be from someone who knew me well and vcould comment on my personal character, rather than a family friend who just happened to be a doctor.

• 1 month later...
hey...so what are the chances that a person with high 3.7 GPA and min MCAT scores just enough to get thru still gets an interview based on the essay and refs??...UofT looks at the applicant overall....rite??

i think its unlikely since gpa is 60% of their consideration but its certainly possible. They would probably have a master's or phd since uoft looks at that too. If you have stellar EC's and some publications under your belt i think its possible. Then again what do i know (no interview for me :()

hey...so what are the chances that a person with high 3.7 GPA and min MCAT scores just enough to get thru still gets an interview based on the essay and refs??...UofT looks at the applicant overall....rite??

Goodluck Ill. You may not be getting an interview this year since it is late in the game. But try again! If your MCATs are over the cut offs they do not matter. I know plenty of people that got interviews and in with 3.76 to 3.79 GPAs. That is not a horrible GPA. I don't know if this is your weighted score or if it is unweighted because you do not qualifiy for the weighting. I know I do not qualify and so my GPA is a bit lower then those who can drop off their bad marks. Having the GPA is important for cut off...after that they look at your transcript so you might actually look very similar to others.

Also from talking to people who do application review it is very important you have good references and a good essay. Getting an interview may be somewhat up to luck. If you have a team of examiners who are really sticky on GPA then it might be tough, but many realize that marks are important but there are other indicators of who will be a good doctor.

My stats for those of you who want to know:

GPA: 3.90

1st year: 3.78 with 50% of a full courseload - I changed majors mid way

2nd year: 3.92 with 100% ""

3rd year: 3.94 with 100% ""

MCAT: V:7 P:10 B:10 Q

Pretty good EC's but no research.. President of club at school, founder and exec of a youth group, volunteering and tutoring, lots of sports, some awards and a 100% grade in grade 11 chemistry! lol

My essay was good, I had many people read it and they all gave positive feedback, I don't believe my mcat score reflects my true abilites but I have no way of proving that unless I take it again. I think my verbal killed my application. It's my 4th year at school but I'm a 3rd year science student. I'm from the GTA and it's my 1st time applying. Good luck to everyone else though.

I got my rejection today too...

GPA 3.9,

7V 10P 11B, P

Good essay, Grad student, lots of research, music, volunteering...

Just to echo Footyfanatic, I think U of T does require candidates to meet minimum MCAT requirements this year considering the larger number of applicants. 8 on any one section may be okay, but not 7. I would like to think this anyway, because I have really spent A LOT of time on those 1000 words!!:mad:

I got my rejection letter today as well...

4th year undergrad

U of T GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 36P (10VR, 12PS, 14BS)

Pretty good ECs and volunteer experience. Working on 4th year research project.

I had interviews at Ottawa and Queens.

damn that's stellar! and i thought i deserved an invite. I'm sorry you didn't get one and i'm super surprised considering your stats. hope you get in at the other two, good luck

i wouldn't have ever imagined a 3.99 4th year to be grazed over but i guess anything can happen

Archived