Premed 101 Forums

UofT rejections

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hahaha i stopped checking these boards once i read that i had been rejected according to their update... i ended up finally getting a letter to confirm it, so i can rest assured there will be no u of t for me :) ... but damn... now they've changed their minds?? good luck to everyone still waiting (it feels nice to finally know one way or the other though!)

I know a few 4th years with low 3.7 GPAs and MCAT scores only just above the cut-off who have interviewed. They have all published. I think UofT really favours those who have published over those with random research experience.

I know a few 4th years with low 3.7 GPAs and MCAT scores only just above the cut-off who have interviewed. They have all published. I think UofT really favours those who have published over those with random research experience.

As a PhD student, I know how hard it is to publish.

Please allow me to be the devil's advocate...

There are also many steller undergrad applicants with 4.0 GPA and publications, who did not receive an interview. As well, I know at least one PhD candidate who has 4 first-author papers but was not granted an interview. Further, there are applicants that have been granted interviews with low GPA and no publications.

Therefore, there is more to the submitted application than simply research productivity. As have been mentioned many times previously, it's the whole package that counts. Perhaps upper-year undergrads (in addition to a higher "baseline" 4th year these students get), or even grad students, make up the majority of the U of T class are not because they necessarily published more, but because they have learned to present themselves in a more favorable fashion than their more junior counterparts.

So don't rush and get a summer research position if you would rather participate in other activities that you can make significant contributions. Research is really not fun if one does not like it, and it is not a guarantee that one will always get a pub out of it.

Best of luck!

I've heard (and read) it stressed fairly strongly that a very strong application essay goes a long way with U of T, whereas a not-so-strong essay can weaken your chances (i.e. great stats, experience, won't make up for it). If I end up applying to U of T again next year, I will definitely be paying a lot of attention to the essay. It's the only chance to let your application really stand out. You can put a lot of great things on the sketch, but when I've seen those skethes printed out in front of interviewers: the font looks crappy and the spacing is wack. I wouldn't be able to read more than three of those. A nice, well composed, well thought out, and well written essay can do so much for an applicant, I think. So if you feel as though you are a particularly strong applicant and didn't get an interview, I would take a second look at the essay and have five or six people read it to see what they think of it, and where it can be improved for next year if you're in the position to apply again!

I just called Toronto and asked them why the Mar14 update was no longer on their website. They said its a technical issue and all invites are sent out already. So just wait for your rejection letter to arrive by snail mail.

I thought I should ease people's tensions for the time being! Hopefully, we can get in at the other schools we got interviewed!

(Darn VR)

U of T rejection received in Thunder Bay. Grad student applicant; 9 papers published - 4 are 1st author, several scholarships. GPA nothing to write home about but solid extarcurrics etc and have lots to write about in my essay; have interviewed at U of T in the past and spent that summer on the waitlist. crap.

I definitely agree with placing a strong emphasis on the essay. I consulted with a past admissions reviewer re my last failed application. He thought my application was very strong. Then he read my essay. He said if he had reviewed my file, he would have thrown me out just based on my essay. So this year, i put lots (and i mean lots) of effort into improving my essay. One of the major changes, as pointed out to me by this reviewer, was not to have my essay read like my resume. They have your sketch. you are not pointing out anything new by simply listing everything you have done. Instead, it should read like a story. it should flow. Perhaps emphasize only 3-4 specific examples that you think best describe who you are as a person. You want the reviewer to finish reading your essay and say "i know who this person is, and i like him/her!"

I agree that it's not fair to judge a student's research based on their productivity, i.e. publishing. Of course, publishing does say something, i.e. you put in a lot of work, but sometimes it's not really proportional to how much work/diligence you put in. For instance, I know someone who was a "tag along" 4th year project student of a bigger project, did minimal work, and got published (but like 6th author or something) because the main people who were doing the study were about finished. However, other people essentially start from scratch, and they can put in a lot, but then because they're undergrads and lab politics, end up as second or third author and after a LONG period of time even though they essentially did all the work. But I guess that's all part of life. I think if someone can walk away from a research project learning a lot, i.e. you certainly would if you start from scratch and essentially fight an almost one-man battle, it should mean something more than just a publication even if it get delayed. But that's just my 2 cents.

Well, I got the dreaded envellope today in montreal.

4th year, 42S (15V/14P/13B) and OMSAS: 3.92, UFT:4.0 GPA, honours research project, NSERC, volunteering. I wrote what I thought was a good essay.

I guess it wasn't enough.

Well, with stats like those (and similar ones I've seen on the forum), maybe U of T is only accepting marginal students this year. :confused:

What were your extracurriculars?

Any publications?

I ask because I find it hard to believe that somebody would receive an interview at Harvard, while outright rejected without an interview at the University of Toronto given that the demands for high-impact, high-calibre extracurriculars are much higher at Harvard than for the University of Toronto unless you had awesome publications/research in which case it is possible to be rejected from University of Toronto given the much lower value placed in publications as compared to US schools, and higher emphasis placed on absolute balance.

4th year, 42S (15V/14P/13B) and OMSAS: 3.92, UFT:4.0 GPA, honours research project, NSERC, volunteering. I wrote what I thought was a good essay.

I better look at alternatives.....there is no consistency in this selection process. Where did you do your undegrad from? Did you take full course load every year?

Yeah, I did take a full course load... I thought I might not in first year, as I only took four courses, but they were big, 4 credit courses, so I finished well above the 28 credit mark. (I go to McGill, by the way)

I suppose I didn't have any real 'leadership' experience, but I know people who got in without that sort of thing.

I'm thinking maybe I got screwed on a verifier, or by chance, one of my reference letters....

WTF?? I used to think UofT was one those schools were you could pretty much figure out the general type of student they took...now its becoming a bit more difficult. I wish they gave some feedback so everyone could figure out how to improve for subsequent cycles.

My God...I thought UofT was the place to be, but now after seeing their odd selection process I'm glad they didn't invite me (and it's comforting that I'm not alone). I doubt that a verifier or reference would be your downfall...you're probably just second guessing yourself at this point (unless you blatantly lied :rolleyes: ). I wonder if they just had too many applicants and didn't look at some applications. There really should be a way for applicants to ensure that their applications are actually looked at (for example telling your strengths/weaknesses or posting numerical cutoffs or something post-rejection) . I think thats the least they could do considering the $275 I (and others) paid. But I'm not bitter:D

Well, game over for me too. Just found the letter under a pile of house junk mail. What a bday present haha. In case anyone was wondering, UTGPA 3.96 / 39Q (14PS/13BS/12VR) / and decent well rounded mix of ECs from research to sports to volunteering...apparently good enough for a OOP McGill interview but not UofT (my hometown!!!!!!!!). Oh well...moving along.

I am loosing faith in selection process.....Is it really fair?

Well, game over for me too. Just found the letter under a pile of house junk mail. What a bday present haha. In case anyone was wondering, UTGPA 3.96 / 39Q (14PS/13BS/12VR) / and decent well rounded mix of ECs from research to sports to volunteering...apparently good enough for a OOP McGill interview but not UofT (my hometown!!!!!!!!). Oh well...moving along.

Okay...hmm...I wonder what UofT was looking for this year. Maybe they are moving away from the academic powerhouse applicant?

Archived