Premed 101 Forums

UofT rejections

hahaha seeing these rejection stats makes me laugh at how naive i was to think i stood a chance at a u of t interview... those are some killer gpa's (and mcats... though mcat's apparently just a flag)

ah well... still waiting for my letter, hoping to come home and find it tomorrow.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got my rejection letter today as well...

4th year undergrad

U of T GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 36P (10VR, 12PS, 14BS)

Pretty good ECs and volunteer experience. Working on 4th year research project.

I had interviews at Ottawa and Queens.

i'm going to assume you have an interview at western too? congrats. i hope one of them pulls through for you...

It seems like everyone has pretty good EC’s. So I don’t think you can assess your chances of getting an interview by the sheer number of EC’s you have. From my interview it seemed u of t was more about quality and what you learned than quantity. Keep that in mind when trying to figure out how you can improve for the next round of admissions.

Wow, so many stellar applicants here that didn't get interviews! Some personal friends that I think are really great applicants didn't get interviews too... But I think that sometimes it's presentation that really matters - the details like did you put time into your essays, did you get reference letters that really gave personal details about you, do your EC's/essays/references/schooling give a coherent picture of who you are as a person?

But despite all that, academic is still 60%, so you still need at least very close to 3.8 to stand a chance (if you're an undergrad), right? All the other stuff is just icing on the cake, because there's tons and tons of people with high GPAs apparently and they have a lot of choice in picking people with both high GPAs and the entire package. I don't even know if I should bother applying next year given the competitive situation now *sighs*. These stats are scary, and if academic is 60%, and I'm sure the people posting here if they got interviews elsewhere probably do have good EC's, so what do they want? =S It might be better to save the time for somewhere I actually stand a chance.

But despite all that, academic is still 60%, so you still need at least very close to 3.8 to stand a chance (if you're an undergrad), right? All the other stuff is just icing on the cake, because there's tons and tons of people with high GPAs apparently and they have a lot of choice in picking people with both high GPAs and the entire package. I don't even know if I should bother applying next year given the competitive situation now *sighs*. These stats are scary, and if academic is 60%, and I'm sure the people posting here if they got interviews elsewhere probably do have good EC's, so what do they want? =S It might be better to save the time for somewhere I actually stand a chance.

Despite academics being worth 60% of the assessment mark, your references, essay, and autobiographical sketch can make a huge difference and can separate you from other applicants with similar GPA. Another important factor is your year of study. Nowadays, it seems like 4th year applicants stand a far better chance at getting in interview. Whether this is because 3rd years can't obtain the full 60% is debatable (as brought up in previous posts), but I think schools now want applicants to finish their undergrads - just look at Western and their new Honours degree requirement.

Just to echo Footyfanatic, I think U of T does require candidates to meet minimum MCAT requirements this year considering the larger number of applicants. 8 on any one section may be okay, but not 7. I would like to think this anyway, because I have really spent A LOT of time on those 1000 words!!:mad:

Not to burst your bubble, but I have a friend who got an interview this year with a 7. She was a grad student and had great ec's. If anything, this should give you hope.:o

Still no rejection letter for me and I live in GTA.

I wonder if they have my application on life-support in case an interview spot opens up soon miraculously. I'm tempted, as a competent, autonomous applicant, to ask them to humanely pull the plug on my application to end my pain and suffering. :)

I think we should be allowed to put "DNR" on our application in the future. :)

Still no rejection letter for me and I live in GTA.

I wonder if they have my application on life-support in case an interview spot opens up soon miraculously. I'm tempted, as a competent, autonomous applicant, to ask them to humanely pull the plug on my application to end my pain and suffering. :)

I think we should be allowed to put "DNR" on our application in the future. :)

I guess they did pull the plug. :o

Some bad news.

FYI.

Update March 14.

http://www.facmed.utoronto.ca/English/page-13-21455-1.html

hmm...isn't that kind of contradictory to their first update "up until april 1st".

do you still think they'll be giving random calls 2 days before if someone drops out?

i'm surprised we don't have more ppl on the boards interviewing for april 1st.

good luck to everyone :o

Wow, it's official now. Better luck next time I guess.

No, b/c you won't be applying next year. Why would a first year med student re-apply? That's just nuts :D

See you next Saturday! I'll be the one with my game face on :cool:

BTW, thanks to the poster of the updated link. It's nice to know I can stop obsessively checking my spam folders!

Sorry to hear about the rejections, I know what it's like!

A lot of comments here have focussed on the GPA/MCAT of people who didn't receive interviews. Please keep in mind that this is not UWO or Queen's and stats alone will not get you an interview. Hopefully things will work out at other schools for those of you with interviews elsewhere, but if any of you will be applying next year, please look at factors other than upgrading marks, rewriting the MCAT etc. Take a very good look at your essay. Make sure it is strong, original, sincere and addresses the issues it's supposed to address. You may have great ECs, but can you communicate WHY you did what you did and WHAT you have gained from the experiences? Consider your choice of referees closely and ask if someone can give you a *strong* letter of reference. If there is ANY hesitation, you are NOT asking the right person. If you think a letter from a hospital volunteer supervisor who you worked with for 5 months will be generic and short, and you have a high school teacher who's known you well for 10 years, take a guess which letter will have the most impact. Marks are important, but with the number of applicants at an all-time high, many people will have 3.9s. The non-academic factors will play a huge role in the initial file reviews.

Good luck for those of you interviewing elsewhere and for the rest, spend time thinking over the process and don't give up!

I got my rejection letter today as well...

4th year undergrad

U of T GPA: 3.99

MCAT: 36P (10VR, 12PS, 14BS)

Pretty good ECs and volunteer experience. Working on 4th year research project.

I had interviews at Ottawa and Queens.

Unbelievable! What exactly Med Schools look for? Do they use OLG?

Guys please don't call me negative again.

Archived