Premed 101 Forums

Official U of T - Interview Thread

After following through with all of the posts in this thread, I am led to believe that UofT does not actually look through the applications. A whopping 600 applicants is pretty exhausting to go through, but after paying a $230 deposit, I think it is only our right to have every application looked over repeatedly and in detail.

The rejection letters apparently state the average GPA and DAT scores of the application pool, however, there seems to be quite a few people who are getting interview invites despite having scores lower than the average. There also seems to be a large number of people with higher scores than the average, and higher scores than people who did get invited for an interview. This seems to be a little depressing, considering that the only criteria for UofT's interview invites is the DAT and GPA. So, why would someone who's score is so high not get an interview, let alone get a flat our rejection letter?

The UofT application indicates that they do not take into consideration the school that you went to, your status as a part-time or full-time student, or whether you are male or female etc. Where is this cut-off? Did UofT cut corners and sift through only half of their applicantions, and throw the other applications aside? Maybe this is the case, and maybe the money that they saved from the application fee's of people who weren't even considered will be used to help their financial woes.

You come off as someone who is very jealous. Did you not get an interview and are stating your frustrations with the application process?

I have no doubt in my mind that UofT goes through every application; however, everyone makes mistakes. Every now and then someone is going to make a mistake in say converting or calculating GPA and someone unfortunate is going to be on the rejection end of that stick. In that case one should appeal their decision. In any case 600 applicatios is nothing when you compare that to the thousands of applications that many of the medical schools recieve.

Blaming the admissions office is one option, but what about all of the people that neglected to use thier reading comprehension skills and are not fulfilling all of the requirements that UofT Dentistry requires? Even with competative marks and DATs you are going to be rejected. What if someone miscalculated their UofT GPA to be higher than it should be? UofT could see this as an attempt to fool them and toss out their application right there. These are only a few possibilities as to why people who seem to be competative were not chosen.

Do you really think that institution makes a difference? It may. But are you personally sure? Did you attend multiple schools in multiple programs and can say with confidence that it is much harder here or much easier there? Bottom line is that, speaking directly for undergrads, it is my opinion that any university that you study at in Canada, you are going be well educated and develop the skills necessary to succeed in any program.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ok guys, lets not all get bitter...

bottom line is ANY application that you put in is reviewed...even a job application at McDonald's will be seen AT least once (no pun intended).

That being said, i think it's a pretty weak argument to suggest that u of t "picks" at random which application they are going to review and disregards the rest.

the bottom line is we don't know WHAT they look at to select their candidates for interviews. According to the site: "A minimum current grade point average of 2.7 (4.0 scale) is required.*However, a grade point average of 2.7 (i.e. B-) at the time of application does not guarantee selection. It should be noted that the 190 domestic applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.7 and the 10 international applicants invited for an interview had a GPA of at least 3.3."

^

^

That quote DOES NOT say 3.7 is a cut-off for interviews. MEANING, there is no guarantee that if you have a greater or equal than 3.7, you are going to get an interview. It just says everybody invited happened to have at least a 3.7.

We'll probably never know what U of T uses to evaluate their possible interview candidates and I don't think U of T will ever release this information. They want candidates to get in by being themselves rather than being what U of T looks for in their applicants. I hope this clears up the misconception that some people have in regards to their "stats" being higher than others and because of this they deserve the interview more than someone else with lower "stats".

just my 0.02

Hey guys,

I didn't mean to come off harsh on Jack. So, sorry Jack if you feel like you are being attacked. I was just trying to point out a more pluralistic approach to understanding possible ideas about UofT admissions.

I fully agree that having DAT and GPA as the only determinants of who qualifies for an interview is pretty crappy but right now c'est la vie. I was rejected last year from every school that I applied to pre-interview and this year is the eact opposite.

Anyways Jack if you are in the admissions process this year I wish you luck. However, if you are being rejected from places take it as motivation to work harder for next year...

hey ppl

i just talked to someone from UofT and if your an out of province student and you want to use a past interview score you can, but the personality test still has to be done and if ur UofA, it can be done at the UofA. Im guessing its the same for other universities as well. just thought id pass on the info.

shocker

You come off as someone who is very jealous. Did you not get an interview and are stating your frustrations with the application process?

I have no doubt in my mind that UofT goes through every application; however, everyone makes mistakes. Every now and then someone is going to make a mistake in say converting or calculating GPA and someone unfortunate is going to be on the rejection end of that stick. In that case one should appeal their decision. In any case 600 applicatios is nothing when you compare that to the thousands of applications that many of the medical schools recieve.

Blaming the admissions office is one option, but what about all of the people that neglected to use thier reading comprehension skills and are not fulfilling all of the requirements that UofT Dentistry requires? Even with competative marks and DATs you are going to be rejected. What if someone miscalculated their UofT GPA to be higher than it should be? UofT could see this as an attempt to fool them and toss out their application right there. These are only a few possibilities as to why people who seem to be competative were not chosen.

Do you really think that institution makes a difference? It may. But are you personally sure? Did you attend multiple schools in multiple programs and can say with confidence that it is much harder here or much easier there? Bottom line is that, speaking directly for undergrads, it is my opinion that any university that you study at in Canada, you are going be well educated and develop the skills necessary to succeed in any program.

lax,

I am not jealous of anyone. I have an interview at UofT on April 1st , and I know that I will go in and do my best. (and for those of you who need to switch dates, I have prior arrangements for my work on Saturday, sorry:( ) I think I am more upset about the fact that my friend, an outstanding student with an honours degree and three papers published in the Journal of Molecular Biology, and numerous NSERC summer scholarships can be blatantly overlooked for an interview. There are many people on this forum too who have also been overlooked. It is disappointing that such a high regarded school can overlook such a large number of candidates. Mistakes do happen; that’s why there are erasers on pencils, but with everyone paying such a large application fee, you would think that would be enough to pay a good number of applicant reviewers to do a more efficient job wouldn’t you?

I do, however, agree with your reasons for UofT's potential flub-ups. Yes, this is very possible as well, but regardless of this, a more suitable review process may be required. Some students may have miscalculated their grades in order to fool the admissions committee, but it should be the admissions committee's duty to resolve these errors. All the information is included in the individual's application, for example every grade obtained for every class, as well as the university from which they are applying. If we were capable of converting our grades to their standards for for free, they should be capable of doing the same, especially after having been paid a ridiculously high application fee.

I personally do not believe that institution makes a difference. I do not have any doubt in the level of education received from any university. Regardless of where you go, you will learn a great amount, and will come out of your program with, as you said, the skills necessary to succeed in any program. Some larger schools may be well known for research and allow for hands on experience, but as an undergraduate student, you may suffer from the large class sizes. At small schools, the research may not be there, but the class sizes allow for a more effective learning experience. Nevertheless, you will obtain an education, and well worth the tuition that you have paid, or the number of years you have studied. I do have to say this: having sat in on selection committee meetings of various programs, I have realised the disappointing, and unfair reality of selection processes. It is often the case that when two students of similar grades are being compared, the deciding factor is their institution of study. Now, I am not saying that this is for every school, which it isn't, but the point here is that it occurs. I do not know if UofT follows this method for selecting candidates. They state that the institution of study does not influence their decision, but every school says this to cover their programs. It is still a factor that floats around behind closed doors.

Hey everybody,

So for those that didn't get an interview (a sign maybe???). I hope it works out for all that didn't get one.

Khan,

I am not sure that I fully understand what you are saying. Excuse me if I come off the wrong way, as e-mail/forum makes it tough to understand someone's tone of voice. What do you mean by "a sign maybe???"

I may be mistaken, but aren't you one of the lucky ones to get an interview at UofT???

I should have said this before, but I failed to do so.

There are many people on here who truly do deserve their interview invite, and I would like to say congrats to them on getting one step closer.

Considering U of T is research-intensive, as long as you meet minimum requirements, faculty of dents would find graduate applicants to be unique applicants.

So for those that didn't get an interview (a sign maybe???). I hope it works out for all that didn't get one.

I am also sure they don't look at half the applications in randomness. I would advise to follow through the decision making process with the school if you did get a rejection letter. Like someone in an earlier post said, you're paying 230 dollars and you have the right to know the reasoning behind the rejection letter. ESPECIALLY, when the only thing u of t "says" they look at is grades and DAT pre-interview.

dont' be jack in the box...read

Okay Jack,

You seem legit. I still think UofT makes every effort to ensure that all applications are looked through thoroughly and I agree that there should be more meat to the application. Even a simple essay like McGill's would allow some applicants to really shine and maybe take some of the emphasis off of the DATs and GPAs that UofT requires. It's too bad your friend didn't get interviews this year, or at UofT anyways - just tell that person to not give up.

Good luck with your application!

• 3 weeks later...

I think theu should all have you write an essay, not a long one either. I think this would show how well you can organize your mind and communicate it to others, It would also be good in conjunction with your interview, for them to ask about things you wrote about. But alas, then someone would have to take the time to read all of them! I wrote such an essay, and will end up applying with an AGPA of only 3.3, DAT of 20.5. I think the essay saved my butt!

• 3 weeks later...

Counting down the days till we get those acceptance/waitlist/rejection letters!!! Very nervous!!

I think this was mentioned before, but I was wondering if UofT still look at GPA/DAT at this point, or if it was all based on your interview?? Also, anyone know how the personality test factors into it?? Like if you have good GPA and interview marks, but didnt do so hot in the personality test, would that jeopardize your chances??

well, im not 100 % sure. but, the purpose for early acceptances was to give students a chance to go with uwo, instead of uoft. in other words, to lure prospective uoft students to western:p

i remember they were sent out very early, but im not sure about whether it was around the same time as uoft.

Hey people,

I think the day is April 27 for UofT and the early bird acceptances for the top 15 at UWO are early May. Don't quote me on the uwo thing though.

Hi guys,

Right now exams/tests and everything in D- SChool is kicking the day lights out of all of us so I haven't had a chance to answer questions or post as often. I apologize to those who have messaged me, I will return your PM's as soon as possible. But to clarify and answer the above questions many of you may have....

Last year UofT set their acceptance release date on April 27th, however they released some early acceptances on th 25th as well (the day I got my email)...don't be alarm if you don't see anything before the 27th, cause the 27th is when the bulk of emails go out.

Western has switched to this new system where top 15% of acceptance get notify earlier than everyone else, as mentioned above this is intended to lure some top notch applicants from U of T...... I got my western earlier acceptance around the week of may 10th. It comes with a scholarship offer (which wasn't alot of money in my opinion).

Good luck to everyone waiting! :)

Archived