Premed 101 Forums

Official U of T - Interview Thread

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on uoft's website:

* The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study.

From what I understand, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG LOL, if you apply in your fourth year, then they do drop your worst year, not including your 4th year because you do finish your fourth year by may 31st but I just don't get how the admissions office can make a decision when they don't have all of your final year marks??

now, if you apply in your 5th year, what is considered your last year? your 4th year or your 5th year? (again, the admissions board doesn't technically get all of your 5th year grades so is it fair to say that the last year would be your fourth year)?

I'm sorry, I may be thinking into it too much or I'm simply confused

thanks

-wisdom tooh

I got a question, hope you guys dont mind since you all applied to uoft. Well here it is. It says for uoft that their required courses must be completed prior to may31 of the application year. So does that mean may 31 of the fourth year(end of fourth year) or may 31 of the third year(end of third year)? You apply December of the third year right(if you wanna go after Bsc) so would that mean the courses have to be done before may31 of the fourth year or may 31 of the third year. Im just asking this because I want to know if I can take biochem (required course for uoft) in fourth year rather than third.

As I think about this, I now for the first time realize that individuals currently in their fourth year have only their 2 best years evaluated.

I am at a disadvantage now then because I am a graduate student. I have already done 4 years. After dropping my lowest year, ad com would use 3 years to determine my GPA.....

Anywho, I got an interview so I am sure that this was taken into account.

It sucks because my gpa with only 2 yrs becomes 3.83 while with 3 yrs its 3.72

I got a question, hope you guys dont mind since you all applied to uoft. Well here it is. It says for uoft that their required courses must be completed prior to may31 of the application year. So does that mean may 31 of the fourth year(end of fourth year) or may 31 of the third year(end of third year)? You apply December of the third year right(if you wanna go after Bsc) so would that mean the courses have to be done before may31 of the fourth year or may 31 of the third year. Im just asking this because I want to know if I can take biochem (required course for uoft) in fourth year rather than third.

I'm pretty sure it's by may 31st of your fourth year

(i haven't applied yet)

As I think about this, I now for the first time realize that individuals currently in their fourth year have only their 2 best years evaluated.

I am at a disadvantage now then because I am a graduate student. I have already done 4 years. After dropping my lowest year, ad com would use 3 years to determine my GPA.....

Anywho, I got an interview so I am sure that this was taken into account.

It sucks because my gpa with only 2 yrs becomes 3.83 while with 3 yrs its 3.72

Good Luck with the interview!

on uoft's website:

* The worst academic year will be dropped from the calculation of an applicant's cumulative grade point average provided that (a) the applicant has completed four or more years of university education by May 31st of the proposed year of entry, and (B) the year with the lowest grades is not the applicant's last year of study.

From what I understand, PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG LOL, if you apply in your fourth year, then they do drop your worst year, not including your 4th year because you do finish your fourth year by may 31st but I just don't get how the admissions office can make a decision when they don't have all of your final year marks??

now, if you apply in your 5th year, what is considered your last year? your 4th year or your 5th year? (again, the admissions board doesn't technically get all of your 5th year grades so is it fair to say that the last year would be your fourth year)?

I'm sorry, I may be thinking into it too much or I'm simply confused

thanks

-wisdom tooh

I believe that if you are accepted and are in your fourth year then it would be a conditional acceptance based on the fact that you will maintain a certain gpa and graduate. If you are in your 5th year then the 5th year would be considered your last year and once again if you haven't graduated yet then the acceptance would be conditional again. But if your 5th year is an "unclassified" year (i.e. you already have your degree but just doing another year) then chances are good that the acceptance will be unconditional and that you probably don't even have to finish your term

The certain GPA that you have to maintain is only 2.7.

The UofT website states,

"Note that courses taken in the academic year, during the proposed year of entry, will not be included in the calculation of the applicant's cumulative GPA. Any offer of admission, however, will be contingent upon the successful applicant maintaining an annual GPA of at least 2.7 (4.0 scale) for their current academic year " http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergraduateacademic.html .

I believe that if you are accepted and are in your fourth year then it would be a conditional acceptance based on the fact that you will maintain a certain gpa and graduate. If you are in your 5th year then the 5th year would be considered your last year and once again if you haven't graduated yet then the acceptance would be conditional again. But if your 5th year is an "unclassified" year (i.e. you already have your degree but just doing another year) then chances are good that the acceptance will be unconditional and that you probably don't even have to finish your term

thanks, that's actually pretty good news for me

The certain GPA that you have to maintain is only 2.7.

The UofT website states,

"Note that courses taken in the academic year, during the proposed year of entry, will not be included in the calculation of the applicant's cumulative GPA. Any offer of admission, however, will be contingent upon the successful applicant maintaining an annual GPA of at least 2.7 (4.0 scale) for their current academic year " http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergraduateacademic.html .

I see

then why would uoft even say that we will drop your worst year as long as it's not your last year, when clearly you only need to maintain a 2.7/4.0 in your last year? By saying that, it makes is sound as though your last year marks will definately be calculated in your GPA, but in actuality it's not. I'm pretty sure you don't know why Uoft has done that, I'm just wondering why they would throw that in such a weird technicality, I don't know, maybe to confuse us?? lol

thanks for the clarification

-Wisdom_tooth

They don't count your last year in terms of who gets interviews and who gets accepted. When you ARE accepted, you must maintain a 2.7 min GPA in order to be fully admitted into first year dentistry, so your acceptance is CONDITIONAL upon maintaining a 2.7 in your final year.

I see

then why would uoft even say that we will drop your worst year as long as it's not your last year, when clearly you only need to maintain a 2.7/4.0 in your last year? By saying that, it makes is sound as though your last year marks will definately be calculated in your GPA, but in actuality it's not. I'm pretty sure you don't know why Uoft has done that, I'm just wondering why they would throw that in such a weird technicality, I don't know, maybe to confuse us?? lol

thanks for the clarification

-Wisdom_tooth

After following through with all of the posts in this thread, I am led to believe that UofT does not actually look through the applications. A whopping 600 applicants is pretty exhausting to go through, but after paying a $230 deposit, I think it is only our right to have every application looked over repeatedly and in detail.

The rejection letters apparently state the average GPA and DAT scores of the application pool, however, there seems to be quite a few people who are getting interview invites despite having scores lower than the average. There also seems to be a large number of people with higher scores than the average, and higher scores than people who did get invited for an interview. This seems to be a little depressing, considering that the only criteria for UofT's interview invites is the DAT and GPA. So, why would someone who's score is so high not get an interview, let alone get a flat our rejection letter?

The UofT application indicates that they do not take into consideration the school that you went to, your status as a part-time or full-time student, or whether you are male or female etc. Where is this cut-off? Did UofT cut corners and sift through only half of their applicantions, and throw the other applications aside? Maybe this is the case, and maybe the money that they saved from the application fee's of people who weren't even considered will be used to help their financial woes.

Ok, so i went to the academic advising centre at utsc and I picked out a folder on uoft dentistry. What I saw may or may not surprise you guys. Well here it is, the acceptance pool of applicants only consists of 10% of out of province people. It said maximun 10%, so who knows if its lower. It said that uoft only accepts 10% from out of province therefore 90% would be in Ontario. Maybe this plays a factor in the acceptance of people who have a lower gpa than others. Also I have seen the same thing on the uoft website. Check the following link on page 4 under citizenship and residence:

http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/DDSLIT2007.pdf

Hey Incisor,

Sounds like your source is reliable seeing that it came from the horses mouth. However, the calculation sounds curious since a 10% increase for a 3.7 GPA would make your GPA 4.07...lol. Nonetheless, any increase in the GPA for having a graduate degree is music to my ears. Thanks again.

I got this info from the admissions office. I am not 100% sure how they calculate it. I believe whatever your final GPA is (from best 3 years) they add another 10% if you hold a Masters degree.

interesting, because when i asked how do you diffrentiate between a graduate student and an undergrad, they said they calculate their averages the exact same way. and I have this in writing in an email! so i don't know what they told u and which to believe ...:confused:

Hey everybody,

Yea, I don't know how this Grad student + 10% works...

Considering U of T is research-intensive, as long as you meet minimum requirements, faculty of dents would find graduate applicants to be unique applicants.

So for those that didn't get an interview (a sign maybe???). I hope it works out for all that didn't get one.

I am also sure they don't look at half the applications in randomness. I would advise to follow through the decision making process with the school if you did get a rejection letter. Like someone in an earlier post said, you're paying 230 dollars and you have the right to know the reasoning behind the rejection letter. ESPECIALLY, when the only thing u of t "says" they look at is grades and DAT pre-interview.

Hi guys,

My U of T interview is on March 31st and I have a conflict for that day. U of T is willing to change my interview to April 1st provided a space becomes available. So I want to know if there was anyone that was thinking of changing their interview date to March 31st or if there was anyone that wouldn't mind having an interview on March 31st.

Responses would be appreciated!

Thanks

Archived