Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Interview Jitters

Hi guys,

just wondering...I am getting into Saskatoon at around 6 p.m. on Friday evening (March 23rd), and I am wondering if anyone would be interested in getting together for a pre-interview supper somewhere (any ideas as to where would be appreciated from Saskatoon locals:)

Any takers? I just thought that, instead of spending a night cooped up at home or in a hotel (for those coming in for a Sat interview) it'd be fun to share, talk, meet each other, and maybe learn something that will help us all over the next two days:) I know that there is a reception on the evening of the following Saturday, but I thought maybe this'd be fun.

Just throwing this out there to see if there would be any interest:)

M

P.S. I've changed the title to DINNER!! maybe people will be drawn to it by the promise of FOOD:)

LOL...well, I might be going by myself LOL... BUT it's still four weeks ahead of time so ...I think comfort food would be the best:) Some place mid-range...

oh yes, and all of you lurking IP applicants are really really welcome to come out too!!! It'd be great to see a bunch of people out!

I may not get a lot of response but I am pretty determined so ...if you don't want to post you can also pm me and I'll see how many people we'll get. I think it'd be fun.

Sooo...just FYI, I'd just finished my first mock MMI scenario, and boy, is it different to do that unexpectedly, without preparing yourself!! but you know what? I think it's kind of fun;)

I would say that you probably have the best mindset if you find interviews fun. It means you will be relaxed and pleasant and yourself, which is great. I can't say that I find being interviewed "fun" because I'm too busy thinking of what's at stake usually, but I agree that interviews are usually more casual and interesting than you would expect.

Anyway, restaurant-wise, I would probably recommend Alexander's on Cumberland Avenue (near College Drive). I find the food quite good and it's a nice atmosphere...but the bonus is that it's near the University, an area I assume interviewees will become most familiar with, so new-comers have less chance of getting lost while trying to find it.

But if that doesn't do it for you, I also like the Spadina Freehouse (on Spadina Cres.), a neat restaurant located downtown, across from the Delta Bessborough hotel.

I've also heard the 2nd Avenue Grill is really good (located where else but on second avenue) but somehow I haven't been there myself.

Last but not least, Saskatoon has Canada's only Fuddruckers restaurant, on Eighth Street East. I honestly think they really do have the "World's Best Hamburger", so I don't know why there wouldn't be any Fuddruckers left anywhere else in the country.

Anyway, that's enough procrastination for me...

The places frenchfrog mentioned are all good. 2nd Avenue Grill is expensive, and not too impressive the few times times I have been there. There is always Earl's if you like that sort of thing. I like Saskatoon Asian (downtown, across the street from Scotia Centre) if you like Vietnamese food. Amigo's (Mexican food) on Broadway is also pretty good.

Where are you staying?

I'd come out to meet you, but my Royal College Exams are April 11th and 12th, so I'll be using that weekend free of call to hide in a hole :)

Good luck :)

Hi there!!

i'm actually staying at the Holiday Inn on Idylwyld (I think that's the right spelling), which apparently isn't TOO far, and I got a pretty good price on it so I decided to stay there. I looked at some of the other accommodations and I just didn't feel too comfortable booking there... I was supposed to meet a friend of mine so I booked a hotel, but I might email to see if billeting is still possible, since it turns out my friend has something going on that weekend so.... I think my hostelling plans are still up in the air... well if you ARE able to come out let me know for sure!! You can always PM me...the more the merrier:) And best of LUCK on your exams... and thank you for the recommendations.... M.

If you don't mind me asking momo but how are you preparing for your MMI? I read you've finished your first mock MMI - is this a group endeavour that is being done? Where are you getting your questions?

I'm just curious because nobody I've talked to seem to know what the heck is going on. The premed club isn't helping either. It seems we're on our own?

Hi Newbie!

THAT's why I am encouraging people to come out Friday night to dinner, so we can talk about this mysterious entity called the MMI:)

I have been trolling the net for cases, taking some form the ones posted here, and I also have a few ethics books that I am using. My friend has been making up scenarios and posting them on the door of our house when I get home, so that I have to think on my feet LOL. She also has been asking, along with my family random questions about why I want to be a doctor, etc. If I was in Saskatchewan I totally would host an MMI weekend, but as I am in Ontario it's a little bit hard to do...

What is it that you are finding specifically incomprehensible/confusing? Maybe I can help.

P.S. SevenAges suggested we host an online mock MMI kind of thing - it's hard to do online I think but let me search for a good case/scenario (and maybe our med student hosts might have some relevant ideas, perhaps ideas relevant to SK specifically). I will post a case and maybe we can all discuss how we would approach it, how it makes us feel etc, just so we can brainstorm re ideas and make it maybe a little easier for I-day. I will post one as soon as I can..huge mid-term coming up:)

Hey momo and others,

I can't promise anything yet as i dont know what my schedule will be like then, but if there is enough interest it would be cool to do a dinner get together and I would even try to convince a couple of my buddies hehe.

Mind you although I have nth to do with the interview process (and have no idea what the questions this year are:P), to maintain greatest fairness to all applicants, i would only be comfortable asking questions that you guys give me/come up with, and answer just general ques u guys may have...hope u guys will understand that!

As far as dinner places go, i think the Cave is a pretty cool restaurant (cave theme hehe), or theres always franchises like moxies.

Best of luck and get prepared...its happening sooner than u think!

UofS2010

CONGRATS Joh!!! You sounded worried before so I am really excited for you! Those are the best emails - the ones you just come upon in your mailbox:)

SO...to those who showed an interest in dinner - I will put you down on my list and for those who'd like to go, who lurk and would prefer to pm me, or to those undecided I ask that you let me know by March 14th so if I need to make reservations I can do that. WE will also need to decide on a restaurant, sounds like there are TONS of choices!! Excellent, I love a city with FOOD choices.

Maybe while we're eating or post-dinner we can run through some scenarios...that'd be fun actually. But best of all, it'd be good to meet all of you and support each other and actually SEE in person these wonderful personalities on this board...this board may be small but it sure is nice....:)

Archived