Premed 101 Forums

Why go to UoT

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i personally think uoft's pre-interview admissions process is the cloest to optimal, in ontario.

western/queens - cutoffs first.

ottawa - differential cutoffs/sketch

mac- 5 - cutoff (:P )/ questions.

toronto - gpa cutoff, references, 1000 word essay, sketch.

i thought toronto looks into ur appl. if u have a 3.6 but eventually chooses the above 3.7...so where exactly did u get the cut off point from??

________

Civic (second generation)

Is there any statistics available on how many from each undergrad university get into med schools?

I think one would have to do some fancy calculations in order to make the data meaningful.

I wouldn't be surprised U of T (or other universities with a large undergrad population) has the most numbers of undergrads that get into medical schools. However, that may be due to the fact that U of T and other large schools also have the largest numbers of people applying.

I guess an easy way will be to divide the number of accpetance by the number of people applied for each school to get a per capita type data. But then confounders such as the realitve "difficulty" of each school are still not eliminated (ie, just b/c U of T happens to have the largest number of acceptances per captia, it still doesn't mean going to UofT will increase one's chances of acceptance).

Therefore, instead of trying to figure out which university to go to, I would just work hard, and stay at the front of the bell-shaped curve but at the same time enjoy what life has to offer.

Remember too that one should always have an alternative career path should medicine not work out (so study fields you like, etc. Of course, because you like the courses you're taking, your marks will increase).

Best of luck!

i thought toronto looks into ur appl. if u have a 3.6 but eventually chooses the above 3.7...so where exactly did u get the cut off point from??

i felt this was close to a cutoff:

1) What is the minimum GPA necessary to be considered?

Generally a GPA of 3.6 on a 4.0 scale is the minimum acceptable score for undergraduate applicants. Because enrollment is limited and admission to the Faculty of Medicine is competitive, the possession of the minimum requirements does not assure acceptance.

While I don't have the figures to back my claims, anecdotally the number of acceptances to University of Toronto Medical School by University of Toronto undergraduates is proportional to the number of undergraduates that apply. Since a little less than a quarter (40-60 would probably be a 95% confidence range) with a 8% admission rate, between 500 and 750 undergraduates apply from the University of Toronto. This makes sense. Around a quarter of the graduating life sciences class would alone account for 500, while 200 (the top 10% of third years) would also apply.

"We don't yet have statistics for the new HMB programs, but in 2002, of the ~190 positions for U of T Medical School, 55 students were U of T graduates and of those, 24 were from the old Human Biology Programs."

http://www.hmb.utoronto.ca/faqs.asp

i would disagree with the idea that some schools are not easier than others.

suppose i want to apply to an ontario medical school. as we all know, A+ = 4.0, A = 3.9, A- = 3.7 ... etc.

student A goes to UofC and takes psychology (social sciences, for that matter) there. an A+ = 96% in most psychology courses. an A = 90, A- = 85, B+ = 80, B = 77, B- = 72% and so on. student B goes to athabasca (online) university. an A+ = 90, A = 85, A-=80, B+ = 75%, B = 70% and so on.

both students receive an 85%. student A would get a 3.7 in ontario, student B would get a 3.9. heaven forbid that student got a 70% in a course. student A = C+ = 2.3. student B = B = 3.0.

at u of c, there are still many courses that simply do not give you an A+, or make the A+ a 98%. that effectively sets you down to 3.9 rather than 4.0.

when i applied to umanitoba which had an A+/A, B+/B system, i was told that all of my As were going to be converted to the manitoba A of 4.0/4.5. even when we didn't have A+s at the time. even when there would be only one A+ given per term in some classes.

so yes, some universities are "easier" in this respect.

is this true about U of C?

Because when i applied to MD calgary program - my As (85-90) (3.9) at MAC were converted to an A+ (4.0) for GPA average admission to the calgary md program.

weird.

no ... what you said was right. my example was if one did their undergrad at either athabasca or calgary, and then applied to ontario via omsas.

Hey Kuantum or ffp, what does PGY-4 mean?

I thought that the whole gpa system was designed such that a 3.8 gpa from school A should be equivalent to a 3.8 gpa from school B, whereas their letter grades and percentages might not necessarily follow the same scale. So schools recognize that their percentage scales aren't equivalent, so they instead convert to gpa when comparing between one another. This would explain the different gpa-to-letter/% conversion that different schools have.

So basically, it shouldn't matter which school you end up going to, if you get a 3.8 gpa at one school, you should probably end up with a similar gpa at another school, even though your percentage/letter grade average could be quite different. If the system works.

Reading alot of these posts, I'd have to say McGill has a pretty good system. The averages are consistently Bs. The really hard classes (i.e. first year physics) had the average boosted to a B-.

On top of that, the GPA system is pretty favorable with a 4.0=85=A and 3.7=80=A-.

So I think that, for all its faults, it appears that at McGill you get all the benefits of going to a so-called 'prestigious school' (whether or not those benefits exist) and things aren't really geared to grind you out.

• 3 weeks later...
Not to discourage potential UofT people, but the marks from a certain undisclosed second year course were just posted:

A 24 9%

B 44 16%

C 40 15%

D 55 20%

E & F 110 40%

Same trend with the first test. In my experience, no curving is done later on.

for a second i was thinking you were talking about uoft med students tests!

you aren't, right? :P

Phew! I was thinking the same thing......and thinking man wouldnt it suck to get into UT to fail right out :eek:

The most difficult thing in the world is getting into med school in Ontario.

The second-most-difficult thing in the world is failing out of med school in Ontario.

;)

pb

Not to discourage potential UofT people, but the marks from a certain undisclosed second year course were just posted:

A 24 9%

B 44 16%

C 40 15%

D 55 20%

E & F 110 40%

Same trend with the first test. In my experience, no curving is done later on.

+/- increments don't exist? If the letters include the increments...wow! That's pretty intense. However, if it is organic II...that's pretty standard across most schools.

Archived