Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences 2007

How did your 2007 Queen's interview go?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How did your 2007 Queen's interview go?

• Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
    • Went well, but could have gone better.
    • There was something seriously amiss.
    • Oh, catastrophe!

How did your interviews go?

I had my Queen's interview earlier this month, and was pleasantly surprised by it. The interview was very relaxed. I got the panel to laugh (with me, not at me... I hope) in the first couple of minutes, and by its end the interview felt like a casual conversation. I hope this means that I did well, but I guess there's no way of knowing for sure.

Also, kudos to the first year class for the great effort they put into organizing the interview weekend. I had a wonderful time, and now I really want to come to Queen's. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I know who you are from my interview...

Rapoune has an odd ability to match posts with the people he meets on the interview trail.

For Queen's: Pro: Great campus, and amazing students. I think they were the kindest and most enthusiastic I've seen so far. Con: curriculum thing where clinical starts after 2.5 years, and city of kingston. Me thinks i'd become very bored with the city quickly. Maybe that's a good thing considering all the studying required.

I just want to say, for those few of you I met on Sunday at Queen's, you're all amazing. (For those of you at Mac on Saturday, this applies to you, too) Wow. I kept thinking... what am I doing here?

I'm seriously bummed by my interview. I mean, it didn't hurt, but I wasn't brilliant, and I babbled a bit, and overall I just didn't feel like I shone enough. It felt much more like an interview than people have been saying (asked question, answer question), and overall I just didn't get a good vibe from the interviewers. Queen's is my first choice (not that I have many... Mac is my other choice), and unless my essays are brilliant (not likely), I seriously doubt I'll get an offer from Queen's.

Anyways, for those of you who also feel bummed... well, you have company.

oh don't worry... i've heard HORROR stories of queens interviews... if yours didn't go terrible, i think that's a good thing. I can agree that I totally could not read my interviewers: i felt like if anything i had a good cop/bad cop neutral cop scenario.... interview was too ordinary i felt... but again my inability to guage the interviewers' responses made me nervous afterwards. Queens is also my first choice! (you're like one of the first people i've heard agree with me!) I love the spirit the school has! Totally unmatched elsewhere.

Horror stories? All the Queen's interview stories I've heard in person were quite positive. The fact that everybody I've met says they had a good interview actually kind of scares me, because it leaves me with no idea of how I did. It's probably impossible to know how I did regardless, but everybody saying how great things were really brings the uncertainty home.

oh, yeah i can't say i've heard any first-hand horror stories this year, but people i've run into that interviewed last year had stories of really specific questions that not everyone may have the background to answer: ie. name 3 authors, one of them canadian and why you think they are great; give me 3 important events in canadian history and why they're important; tell me about the history of queens... personally i would have just laughed and said "next question please :D" to any of those... but that's just me...

I found that a lot of it was focused on my application, so I wonder whether the people who got those questions had something on their application that pointed to that. eg. If you say you studied Canadian history or that you're a history buff, then maybe they'd ask you about three events in history.

oh, yeah i can't say i've heard any first-hand horror stories this year, but people i've run into that interviewed last year had stories of really specific questions that not everyone may have the background to answer: ie. name 3 authors, one of them canadian and why you think they are great; give me 3 important events in canadian history and why they're important; tell me about the history of queens... personally i would have just laughed and said "next question please :D" to any of those... but that's just me...

I seriously hope you joking here... This kind of question just can't be.... :( :( :(

oh you should check the other posts about it: it's sole purpose was to offend people before their interview so that they would change their mind about wanting to go to Queens. :D

all kidding aside, it was a great video... (i personally enjoyed the other-school bashing the most :P)

I found queens to be my least favourite (thus my last choice).

The video essentially bashed other schools, but I thought the comment about U of T requiring you to learn cantonese, punjabi or hebrew was a bit inappropriate...and that it was ironic that queens was making fun of western for being a rich white school...

Other than the lakeside view, i found it unattractive of a campus.

My interview also had a grumpy old retired man who asked me why I thought it was okay to steal docs from South Africa, when I said nothing along those lines...

Ok HannaLee, I understand that your exposure to Queen's didn't sell you, and that would rather go somewhere else if you have the option. Best of luck getting into your first choice(s), but if you don't, and are forced to come to Queen's, keep an open mind - you might find yourself liking it more than you think you will.

(edit: I realized that my initial post was maybe a bit too sarcastic...and as it seems that the odd interviewee wasn't sold on Queen's 2010 humor ;), I thought I'd better play it safe.)

hahahaha it's funny 'cause it's true!! (er... well at least i can vouch for the first 1/3 of the UofT comment) :P have a sense of humor! I still crack up thinking about that line. It did shock me to hear it though... i remember what my gr.8 teacher said to one of the kids in our class when he was complaining about other kids calling him fat or something like that. "is it true? If it's true, then they're not making fun of you, they're just stating a fact".

Toronto is a multicultural city, and I have to say that the science and engineering faculties at UofT have quite a high concentration of asian people - that's not a negative comment, it's just an observation of mine that most people will agree with. It bothers me a bit when asian people get uptight and worried about going to a place like Queens, which I will admit has quite a high concentration of 'white' people. Being a non-visible minority I may simply be naive to underlying racism, but I think being a white kid in a prodominantly asian school would lead to just as much discrimination as being an asian kid in a prodominantly white school. Stop looking for barriers where they don't exist! I've never felt seriously discriminated against, and neither should you!

end rant...

PS. GO QUEENS!!

I respect Hannalee's comments, they were honest and for her (I assume) truthful. Personally, I don't see what is offensive about there being more of one type of people in a class. It's not a negative thing to say IMO. It's just more of a comical observation (and in this case, a joke). I mean, I could understand if something negative was said about a particular population, but no such things were said. In fact, IMO, nothing negative was said about any of the schools (I mean, is it a bad thing to have rich parents and go to Western (my alma mater)?? heck no. Is it wrong to do Yoga? Nope. Is it true that nobody in our class (even those of us who are from up North) have a clue about Northern...yep. As I said, just harmless fun.

Archived