Premed 101 Forums

Interview Experiences 2007

How did your 2007 Queen's interview go?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How did your 2007 Queen's interview go?

• Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
    • Went well, but could have gone better.
    • There was something seriously amiss.
    • Oh, catastrophe!

More people who are offended means more people will decline their admission offer, which means I have a better chance. I'm all for the video!

I do agree that calling Western out on being a privileged, primarily white Anglo-Saxon school was the pot calling the kettle black, though. The funniest part of the whole movie was the spandex-clad McMaster girl who offered the bewildered applicant his interview offer through interpretive dance and telepathy.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit I was a bit surprised at the absolutely non-PCness of that video. About the U of T learning languages part, I thought to myself... "But but... I speak cantonese...." and then laughed at it very hard. Ditto to the eating sushi reference (I managed to eat 2 meals of sushi passing through Toronto to my interviews... so... yeah)

I didn't understand the Western = Rich reference at all. (Originally from BC, it's a surprise I knew that school existed).

I think the reason why I was surprised was that, well, medicine is suppose to be a more conservative profession. I mean, Engineering... I can understand. Not that it matters... we're all geeks there anyways.

Anyhow, I thought it was great. Loved the song, loved the MCAT antics part. Maybe more special effects, though, for next year!

I must admit I was a bit surprised at the absolutely non-PCness of that video.

It is specifically the complete and utter disregard for political correctness in the Queen's video that I enjoyed the most. Given the high degree of formality in most aspects of medicine, I found this slight detour from social doctrine to be very refreshing.

It is specifically the complete and utter disregard for political correctness in the Queen's video that I enjoyed the most. Given the high degree of formality in most aspects of medicine, I found this slight detour from social doctrine to be very refreshing.

Well said! That's exactly how I feel about the video.

On a side note, Apothecary, did you interview at UofT as well? I think I know who you are as well.... :D

Hey,

I know that this is a little late, but I thought I would comment on my Queen's interview experience anyway. Firstly, I thought the video was refreshingly hilarious. As someone previously noted, this whole process of applying to medicine has been unrelentingly stressful and serious. It was nice to have that video right before I went in for my interview. I felt like it helped me relax and perform better in front of the panel. In any case, though the video was a bit "un-PC", I don't feel that it crossed any boundaries (at least with me). Toronto is the most multi-cultural city in the world (according to the UN, at least), so I found the comments about having to learn Cantonese or Punjabi or Hebrew pretty funny (though it makes me unhappy to think of leaving all this diversity behind if I go to Kingston). As for the rest of the school bashing - I'd say it was all done in good fun and leave it at that.

I also feel that my interview went pretty well, though I got a fair amount of questions which (I feel) came out of left field. I don't know how, but I think that I managed to keep my wits about me and answered all the questions unflustered. I've noticed that I get rattled post interview in analyzing all of my answers, but even then, I feel that I performed relatively well. My interviewers all seemed to be pretty relaxed and really sold me on Kingston and Queen's in general, so I really hope that I am offered a spot.

In all, I was very impressed by how well organized and professional the whole ordeal was. It was also reassuring to be able to talk to Queen's students, as one of the best ways to judge whether a school is right for you is to look at the people who are there. In this regard, I really feel that the school is the right place for me...

I only hope that this feeling is reciprocal ;-)

I think the reason why I was surprised was that, well, medicine is suppose to be a more conservative profession. I mean, Engineering... I can understand. Not that it matters... we're all geeks there anyways.

And drunks.....can't forget that.

On the interview side of things, I found there was a big push by the panel to sell Kingston/Queens to me. Probably because they know competition between the Ontario schools for students is tight.

And drunks.....can't forget that.

On the interview side of things, I found there was a big push by the panel to sell Kingston/Queens to me. Probably because they know competition between the Ontario schools for students is tight.

Actually, I don't think that anyone is told that it is their job to try to sell Queen's and Kingston to the interviewees. The reason that everyone speaks so highly of it is because we all enjoy it here and think that others will too. Also, if they sense that you are not all that enthusiastic about moving to Kingston from a bigger city then maybe you won't be one of their top choices for admission. We want students that really want to be here.

Anna

On the interview side of things, I found there was a big push by the panel to sell Kingston/Queens to me.

THEY were trying to sell kingston/queens to YOU? That's weird... I was asked why I wanted to go to Queens/Kingston... you must be god's gift to medicine if they wanted you that badly :P unless you're talking about the students outside of the actual interview, their love of the school was ALMOST creepy: unanimous and heartfelt love for their school... if it didn't sound so sincere, i'd be tempted to think the dean threatened to expel people who didn't praise the school :D

Actually, I don't think that anyone is told that it is their job to try to sell Queen's and Kingston to the interviewees. The reason that everyone speaks so highly of it is because we all enjoy it here and think that others will too. Also, if they sense that you are not all that enthusiastic about moving to Kingston from a bigger city then maybe you won't be one of their top choices for admission. We want students that really want to be here.

Anna

To clarify what I meant:

Even though I'm not from the province, a large number of my interests/EC's are offered in and around Queen's and would slot in well for me. This was pointed out. The whole thing kind of flowed out of the "why Queen's/Kingston?" question. Nobody said "Oh God, please come to our school, we desperately need you" or anything.

By sell the school, I mean promote the school/city to convey a good impression to interviewees. It's not a negative thing in any way.

what??? someone wants to restart the video debate???? i'll take you on. and down. downTOWN. waaaaaaaaaaaah. lol.

ps. ha ha, leafs

Your team is going down to Pittsburgh! :) Don't ya worry.

Your only hope is the fact the leafs aren't in it this year. lol

Your team is going down to Pittsburgh! :) Don't ya worry.

Your only hope is the fact the leafs aren't in it this year. lol

I'm starting a new thread in the general discussion forum entitled, "Reasons why the Canucks are taking home The Cup this year." I hope to see both you and sensfan in there.

the canucks won't get out of the first round. and we are going to make crosby cry gatorade tears.

ps. leafs fans should be happy anyway - all they lost was the privilege of getting swept by buffalo in the first round

Yeah right, we're not Ottawa... remember that round where Toronto barely made it in and then proceeded to sweep Ottawa.

MUAHAHAHAH GO LEAFS GO

Yeah right, we're not Ottawa... remember that round where Toronto barely made it in and then proceeded to sweep Ottawa.

MUAHAHAHAH GO LEAFS GO

right, that was in 2001. back when the senators were led by yashin, hossa, mceachern, and radek bonk. oh, and let's not forget magnus arvedson. he was a gem. oh, and the great goaltending battle of joseph vs lalime. yes, those teams 6 years ago have SO much relevance to today, seeing as all those players are long gone. but i can't blame leafs fans for dwelling on the past, because that's all you've got. 1967 what?

ps. golf leafs golf

right, that was in 2001. back when the senators were led by yashin, hossa, mceachern, and radek bonk. oh, and let's not forget magnus arvedson. he was a gem. oh, and the great goaltending battle of joseph vs lalime. yes, those teams 6 years ago have SO much relevance to today, seeing as all those players are long gone. but i can't blame leafs fans for dwelling on the past, because that's all you've got. 1967 what?

ps. golf leafs golf

Yeah because you guys were soooooo much better last year.

And I was referring to the first series to remind people that just because a team does superbly in the regular season, it does not mean it will beat out a less stellar team in the playoffs.

Another reminder... EDMONTON!!

My interview went well. I loved the campus and the people. I've applied to Queen's and UWO, but Queen's is my #1 choice. I'm a bit worried tho b/c of this rumor that Queen's is favouring non-color people over the other (I'm from South Korea, btw). But we'll see....

Queen's threads tend to have an ADD aspect to them, as shown above. Anybody who wants to continue the stupid debate over the rumor of "favouring certain ethic groups" can continue it in the appropriate thread. This thread is about the Queen's interview experience and not hockey or debating premedical mythology.

Thanks,

D

hahahaha somber's post cracked me up... this is officially my favourite thread on the premed boards... skimming the random hockey trivia (which is like a foreign language to me) then suddenly coming across "my interview went well..." LOL that brightened my day!

and just so i don't get scolded, i'll say that my interview went well and that i love Queens so much that i want it to bear my children :P and yes i do mean the school itself... preferrably in some futuristic cyber-uterus... wait this is really off topic again! crap.

hahahaha i was surprised to discover that many feminist ethicists actually WANT science to develop futuristic cyber-uteruses... but that confuses me, because then why would we need women around? :P

hahahahaha i think it's necessary that I point out that I am joking, given the above average tendency for people to be offended on this forum particularly... LOL I love being politically incorrect... is that a bad characteristic for an aspiring physician?

Archived