Premed 101 Forums

The Official OMG Pandora's Box UofC Countdown thread

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does calgary (or any other school) send out more offers than there are spots, knowing that some people will decline? So that candidates that they want, who would be on the waitlist aren't snapped up by other schools?

wooooo .. that would be 1000 times worse than airlines overbooking a flight!! :eek:

What if in the remote chance that most of them do accept ... "sorry ... we ... overbooked ..." :(

Oh well, I don't think giving out more offers will benefit the school in any way. The "top" candidates will be in regardless, so sending more offers than there are spots will only help those who would otherwise be on the waitlist. Also, there are so many qualified candidates and getting a few more or a few less good students won't make a big difference I guess ...

Does calgary (or any other school) send out more offers than there are spots, knowing that some people will decline? So that candidates that they want, who would be on the waitlist aren't snapped up by other schools?

No they don't. I'm sure about this. What if they all showed up? I mean Calgary as a city is getting a lot of merit around the globe and a lot of people want to come here. Every year, Calgary gets more reputation and along with it the medical school. Medical schools in Canada never worry about filling up seats, I'm telling you.

If they use up the waitlist, they'll call people they rejected already, like Queens one year. That would be something wouldn't it?

If they use up the waitlist, they'll call people they rejected already, like Queens one year. That would be something wouldn't it?

THAT has happened. But yeah, sending out more offers than spots would only be to avoid having to go to the waitlist after, and I'm sure it would be much more stressful for Admissions to have to explain to the 126th person that they can't come than it would be for anything else.

I'm doing this to prepare myself for the worst.

If I'm accepted, I'll be so happy.

If I'm either waitlisted or rejected, I'll ask for file review and apply next year.

It's easy to say. But I bet if I'm rejected, I'll still going to feel really bad.

I knew it was going to be May 15th. They had a deal with other medical schools about this. They can't back out of it and announce the results earlier than they are.

At least we're not U of S --> they're not getting it until the 17 or 18th because the adcom is late.

Of course, the adcom at U of C already has the accepted/waitlisted/rejected list all made up in end of March. It's really fast. I asked Adele and they said they don't look at your file again after the interview so it's just your pre-interview score + interview score (which was determined right after the interview). I really wish the school would just give up our interview scores though.

Oh, that would be marvelous! That said, I suppose it would just give me one more thing to obsess about until the actual decisions go out... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I tried to keep in the back of my mind all along that it could get bumped back to the 15th again (does make more sense!)... but I just get so date focused!

Ack.

Come'on, 15th... :o

...but that IS really quite tortorous, knowing FOR SURE that they already know our fate! :o

although I'm not waiting for UofC, May 15 also looms large for Ontarians! This week has been crazy, nothing but biking 60k/day+gym and eating 6000Cal. Next week, work starts. On May 15th, I'll be in an office somewhere getting the news. Where will you guys be?

Now that I think about it, I've opened every interview invite and acceptance email at work!

Don't worry Cutiepie - the top school is the one YOU want to go to! And you want to go to Calgary! And that is where you are going to get accepted!! - and that is JUST as good (plus, you will not be amassing nearly as much debt as your friend :D )

Well - we're finally into single-digits!! 9 days guys! ..... are we there YET? :P

but only 0.237042343 lunar days, or a whopping 17.1428 Jovian days, or 0.028806 Venetian days.

Would a being from Venus be a Venetian? Venite? Venuser?

That will keep me occupied for at least one Jovian day...

Gee, I wasn't aware that time operated differently in Venice, Italy. Maybe I should be checking my email from there. ;)

Archived