Premed 101 Forums

western post-interview formula?

Are third year level courses considered equivalent to fourth year level courses?

Are we talking at UWO?

Well if we are:

001-099 is first year

0100-0199 is General 2nd year

and 0200-0299 is 3rd year honours

0300-0499 is 4th year honours

It goes something like that...I could be wrong, I haven't been keeping up on it.

Check out the undergraduate academic calendar where it says course codes I believe, or something or other.

hahaha, yeah i see where you're coming from, but my example was to illustrate a point about the validity of the presumed weighting and not to argue about .1 of a gpa score... reading over my posts, they do seem excessively anal though... ugh... i'll blame it on the nasty cloudy weather outside... and the fact that i should be writing papers and am looking for excuses not to :P

hahaha, yeah i see where you're coming from, but my example was to illustrate a point about the validity of the presumed weighting and not to argue about .1 of a gpa score... reading over my posts, they do seem excessively anal though... ugh... i'll blame it on the nasty cloudy weather outside... and the fact that i should be writing papers and am looking for excuses not to :P

There is nothing like procrastination. It's a great thing. Until you realize that you're screwed.

...but maybe only your best year is ranked for all applicants

...but maybe the tenth of a grade point difference in your example doesn't really make much difference in UWO's ranking formula

...but maybe if my mother had wheels, she'd be a bus

Look, I realize that applying for meds is stressful. Been there, done that. Since we're all bright, analytic people, it's tempting to obsess over the smallest aspects of the admission process. Venting is also useful as a cathartic way to blow off some steam.

But here's a word of advice: Thinking up hypothetical situations where you could potentially be screwed over by the med school application process isn't a high-yield use of your time.

It's spring. The grass is growing. Flowers are blooming. The days are getting warmer and longer. Girls are wearing skirts. Guys are wearing...err...whatever it is that guys wear that girls find attractive.

Get out there. Enjoy.

Focus on the things that you can change, and don't fixate on things that are out of your hands.

pb

LOL, post of the week award goes to...

Are we talking at UWO?

Well if we are:

001-099 is first year

and 0200-0299 is 3rd year honours

0300-0499 is 4th year honours

It goes something like that...I could be wrong, I haven't been keeping up on it.

Check out the undergraduate academic calendar where it says course codes I believe, or something or other.

Not to be a shtickler, but I am. Not really this anal retentive in 'real' life, just in posting. It's

001-099 is first year

and 0200-0299 is 2rd year honours

0300-0399 is 3rd year honours

0400-0499 is 4th year honours

Some trivia, I spell honours with a 'u' but the university spells it without the 'u' - people got upset about it being unCanadian and the Senate had a formal inquiry into the matter. They concluded that 'honors' was not unCanadian and that they would not recommend a change. Personally, I like the 'u' but whatever.

Not to be a shtickler, but I am. Not really this anal retentive in 'real' life, just in posting. It's

001-099 is first year

and 0200-0299 is 2rd year honours

0300-0399 is 3rd year honours

0400-0499 is 4th year honours

Some trivia, I spell honours with a 'u' but the university spells it without the 'u' - people got upset about it being unCanadian and the Senate had a formal inquiry into the matter. They concluded that 'honors' was not unCanadian and that they would not recommend a change. Personally, I like the 'u' but whatever.

Thanks for the correction, I knew it was something like that or other. LOL, anal retentiveness can be a good thing sometimes, but not all the time.

Hey, I meant to ask are third year courses considered equivalent to 4th year level courses? UWO states that 60% of your courses must correspond to the year you are in... so if you are in 4th year do 60% of your courses have to be 4th year level? or can they be a mixture of 3rd and 4th year courses? (Ignore the course codes)

I haven't read any rules about this specifically, but it would seem to me that 4th year courses start with a '4' so you should have at least 3 of your 5 courses as those. Personally, last year I took four 4th year courses and one 100 level course and that was fine by them.

Just a quick question: Does anyone know if the med school admin sometimes makes small exceptions in certain cases? For example, if some has a GPA for one of their two years a little below the cutoff solely because of one bad half-year course? Would it help if the GPA for the other year is very high (i.e. 3.95)?

Well the thing is that thanks to this one half course I took in the fall semester, the chances of me meeting the cutoff this year are nil. My marks for 2nd and 3rd year aren't quite there either, so they're not really much help. Looks like there goes my one shot :(

Ebichu,

I have no way of knowing for sure, and I don't think anyone who has answered yet with their straight up 'no chance' answers know for sure either. The only thing you can do if you get accepted and you're 2nd 3.70 year is actually a 3.69, is to contact the admission people and plead your case. It is afterall only a number; and they are real people in admissions, not just an electronic system. I'm willing to bet all these horrow stories of people who lost their conditional acceptances had their 2nd best year considerably below the cutoff (eg.3.65, etc..), but this is of course speculation; and I am of course optomistic. I'm actually working my ass off right now to make sure my last year is above 3.7 since I already have 2 years at 3.69 :eek: This was also due to poor course selections resulting in a single 1 semester course grade of 71 in each of these years.

Regarding DrBeer's comment...

Do you have more than a full courseload? If you have 6 courses in one term or something, then you could try to argue your case by claiming that if you had just taken 5 courses ( a full courseload already), that you would have had 3.70+. Don't know whether that would help you.

Regarding DrBeer's comment...

Do you have more than a full courseload? If you have 6 courses in one term or something, then you could try to argue your case by claiming that if you had just taken 5 courses ( a full courseload already), that you would have had 3.70+. Don't know whether that would help you.

If you take more than 5 courses, Western only takes the best 5

Archived