Premed 101 Forums

Why Manitoba?

I'm in the fortunate position to be choosing amongst medical schools. I'm somewhat torn between Queen's and Manitoba for almost entirely polar opposite reasons. If anyone can help me see the good in Manitoba Med other than being close to family (though that may not necessarily be a total positive) and the lower cost of living, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think if you are searching for this...you may have already decided on Queen's. Nonethless

MB pros

- clerkship responsibility

- cheap everything

- rural exposures and training

- NML/public health agency

- seriously world reknown in HIV/AIDS, cardiology, and a couple other things

- Gamma knife at St. B

- winnipeg honestly has some of the best-looking girls in canada...i'm totally convinced of this

cons

- weather

- smaller city (pro for some people...but Kingston is even smaller)

- cold winters

- poor public transportation system

- the area around the medical school is kind of dangerous (multiple stories of muggings)

- most of the good-looking girls are on the undergrad campus in the faculty of arts

I think if you are searching for this...you may have already decided on Queen's. Nonethless

MB pros

- clerkship responsibility

- cheap everything

- rural exposures and training

- NML/public health agency

- seriously world reknown in HIV/AIDS, cardiology, and a couple other things

- Gamma knife at St. B

- winnipeg honestly has some of the best-looking girls in canada...i'm totally convinced of this

cons

- weather

- smaller city (pro for some people...but Kingston is even smaller)

- cold winters

- poor public transportation system

- the area around the medical school is kind of dangerous (multiple stories of muggings)

- most of the good-looking girls are on the undergrad campus in the faculty of arts

That's reason enough! Plus, don't forget - they've got the blue bombers!!!!

I've lived in Toronto for 7 years without having attended an Argos game too. Nor have attended a Leafs game, largely because I can't afford it. Who'd want to watch the Leafs play anyway? ;)

I agree on Winnipeg having some really good looking girls. What's with that?

I've lived in Waterloo 5 years now. Seen 2 Leafs games (because of the Senators of course), one Sens game in Ottawa, saw a Moose game in Hamilton 2 weeks ago, and Bomber games in Hamilton and Montreal. I've seen a lot more games living away from Manitoba than when living there. Plans are now in the works to go to Ottawa for the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

One con I can think of for Wpg/U of M is that it is THE city. If it doesn't go on there, you can't just drive down the #1 (lame equivalent to ONT 401) to where it does happen. Disagreeing with Kuantum, I do have to say that the best girls are not in Wpg (sorry to all the ladies here), they are a good second, but any guy would have to agree after a short time walking around McGill's campus that Montreal has the finest ladies in the country.

What I really liked about Manitoba was the cheaper tuition. That's a big plus for me, as I'll be trying to get thru with as little debt as possible.

I was also impressed by the gym. It's a great gym, and it's built right into the place! If that gym had a punching bag, it'd be the best gym ever, but I guess that's where you need a good training partner. ;)

I've lived in Waterloo 5 years now. Seen 2 Leafs games (because of the Senators of course), one Sens game in Ottawa, saw a Moose game in Hamilton 2 weeks ago, and Bomber games in Hamilton and Montreal. I've seen a lot more games living away from Manitoba than when living there. Plans are now in the works to go to Ottawa for the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

One con I can think of for Wpg/U of M is that it is THE city. If it doesn't go on there, you can't just drive down the #1 (lame equivalent to ONT 401) to where it does happen. Disagreeing with Kuantum, I do have to say that the best girls are not in Wpg (sorry to all the ladies here), they are a good second, but any guy would have to agree after a short time walking around McGill's campus that Montreal has the finest ladies in the country.

I doubt that, unless I didn't take a good look at the rankings, but a while back some American magazine or website or etc came out with something ranking the universities with the best looking girls and York was the in the top 10, and was the only Canadian U that was in the rankings.

Around the time of my 4 month stint at McGill, Playboy was recruiting girls there. Probably no coincidence.

I doubt that, unless I didn't take a good look at the rankings, but a while back some American magazine or website or etc came out with something ranking the universities with the best looking girls and York was the in the top 10, and was the only Canadian U that was in the rankings.

Hmmm....I know my school may not be up in the top ten, but I have spent copious amounts of time on the York campus and concur for the most part. I would probaly rather say that their girls go all out when their dressing themselves for school than saying EVERYONE is hot. I dunno, do you find clothes or the girl hot, or both, i dunno.

I would like to see where other schools ranked on this survey.

Do you have a link?

I think that's the difference with Manitoba. The girls seem just naturally hot (i know there is some make-up that goes into that) but it definitely is not the clothes. This is not to say that MB don't present themselves...but when it comes to that...i'd say girls from MTL would take it hands-down. When it comes to actual divine beauty...ya..i said divine...MB takes it for me.

I don't buy into this "naturally hot" statement. I think people across canada are similiar in appearance, only that they dress/act/present themselves differently. As an example, i'm an average guy. But, if I wanted to i could dye my hair blond, bleach my teeth, get a fake tan, wear Versace and hit the gym twice a day... People would not recognize me (probably a good thing, haha). Point is, you can drastically change your appearance, and your level of attractiveness by the way you present yourself. Lots of places with money (ie: Montreal) have fake looking people, whether its the clothes or the way they look. Winnipeg girls are pretty decent, syphillis aside.

I don't buy into this "naturally hot" statement. I think people across canada are similiar in appearance, only that they dress/act/present themselves differently. As an example, i'm an average guy. But, if I wanted to i could dye my hair blond, bleach my teeth, get a fake tan, wear Versace and hit the gym twice a day... People would not recognize me (probably a good thing, haha). Point is, you can drastically change your appearance, and your level of attractiveness by the way you present yourself. Lots of places with money (ie: Montreal) have fake looking people, whether its the clothes or the way they look. Winnipeg girls are pretty decent, syphillis aside.

hahahahahahah

lol - I think I'll stay away from campus when hotness raters come. I spend about 10 minutes in the morning getting ready and I'm certain I look it. Why can't I be a guy? Life is probably a lot easier!

And when's the last time you found a 'hot' looking winter jacket that can withstand -40ºC?

I have one...well two.

Hmmm....I may disagree, but wutever. Lol, if I put Law (he's brown by the way) and Jochi (she's white by the way) beside each other they will look similar? Lol. Jokes. I dunno, there could be a high concentration of hot people in one place and not the same in another. I dunno. LET'S MAKE A DEBATE. I'm joking E-man, I may not agree with you 100% but what you are saying makes sense. Lol.

I do - and I can spot it too. Well, perhaps it's just a matter of personal taste - I agree that anyone can change how attractive they are, but that's only through really superficial means like changing your haircolor or getting it styled differently, working out, getting tans, makeup, clothing, etc.

There are definitely "hot" girls that I can just tell, when they get older they won't be looking too good - these ones lack natural beauty. Regardless, I generally do not like hot girls at all.

With that being said, to me, there is definitely "natural beauty" - it's hard to explain but there are girls who are just so "divine" as kuantum puts it. I use the words "breathtakingly beautiful" or "stunning" or "like an angel" - these are all "natural beauties" and there's just something about them, but they're rare. "hot" and "good looking" are common, but not "stunning" - however, this depends on the eye of the beholder of course.

I think we've got it nailed down to - if it fits you, it'll look good. And, frostbite looks good on no one.

It's hard to find clothes that fit. I'm the body size of a Petite, but my frame is too long for them... but the normal clothes are too bulky. Vip - have you seen my black wool jacket I got on sale for 80% off? I had to wait all season for it because it was the ONLY jacket that fit right in all 90 shops in the mall in Brandon. I probably could have waited for 95% off, but you can't be too stingy and it's hard to find size 1.

Are there a lot of clothing stores in Winnipeg's Chinatown that sell like... 'typical' clothes in Asian sizes? I usually do my clothes shopping in Toronto's Chinatown. Or I can just refit my clothes myself (last time I did that, it was a disaster) - it'd be hard with a winter jacket.

So does that mean Manitoba sucks for shopping in general? Lol. I thought you said for a second that your body size is of a pippette. Lol.

I'd have small feet so I could save even MORE money by buying kid's shoes, but I have size 9 feet. I'd be a odd pipette.

Shopping sucks if you're not a "Typical" size or if you don't like "Typical" stuff... it's good for if you're a size 5-whatever... anything smaller and you're probably out of luck. I've been scouting out the kid's section. Luckily, Winners has excellent sales (Last Chance clearances) and I get thinks at 95-98% off... I'm such a penny pincher! Cleo isn't bad and Reitmans' is good. Just have to wait for 75% off last ticket price sales. Usually the stuff that is left is size 1-3 (yay!) or 15+ ... so, it makes clothing choices easy.

I like buying jeans and things at Reitmans and in Toronto because I just plain am not a "typical" build. I guess I'm a typical "Asian" build, because everything in Toronto fits. Just the styles are a bit too trendy for wearing to school all the time. Oh - and Value Village has cool stuff, especially when it's on sale at 50% off last ticket price.

I didn't know that asian females had problems with sizing...and if you buy clothes in Chinatown...hmm, you must dress like a tree hugging hippie or something...not that there's nothing wrong with that.

Archived