Premed 101 Forums

Why Manitoba?

:) That's why I asked if there were any normal clothes stores in Chinatown...

No there aren't any. But there are "normal" clothing stores at Toronto's Pacific Mall - basically a HK inspired mall, so you can go there if you are looking for small sizes.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've found that Marks Work Wearhouse is pretty good, except their "XS" is usually too big. Some things fit, though.

Wow, I don't mean to sound rude or make you feel uncomfortable about yourself but, being to small for a XS? How tiny are you? I have seen tiny asian girls before, but to be that tiny and have size 9 feet???!!!!! How can someone be tiny for a XS?

Stops rant...

I'd have small feet so I could save even MORE money by buying kid's shoes, but I have size 9 feet. I'd be a odd pipette.

Shopping sucks if you're not a "Typical" size or if you don't like "Typical" stuff... it's good for if you're a size 5-whatever... anything smaller and you're probably out of luck. I've been scouting out the kid's section. Luckily, Winners has excellent sales (Last Chance clearances) and I get thinks at 95-98% off... I'm such a penny pincher! Cleo isn't bad and Reitmans' is good. Just have to wait for 75% off last ticket price sales. Usually the stuff that is left is size 1-3 (yay!) or 15+ ... so, it makes clothing choices easy.

I like buying jeans and things at Reitmans and in Toronto because I just plain am not a "typical" build. I guess I'm a typical "Asian" build, because everything in Toronto fits. Just the styles are a bit too trendy for wearing to school all the time. Oh - and Value Village has cool stuff, especially when it's on sale at 50% off last ticket price.

Wow, I have a soft spot for expensive name brands. Well...I do enjoy if I can buy cheap expensive name brands, lol, sounds like an oxymoron, but I mean to buy expensive brands like ecko, phat farm, gucci, armani, etc, for cheap so that I can have more of them. Lol.

Oooh how do you like your MacBook? I'm trying to decide between the black MacBook or a 15" MacBook Pro (If only it came in a 13" version!!)

I've got the GIGANTIC Powermac G5 desktop right now. I'm looking forward to getting something a tad more portable for next year.

Hurray for my new LOC!

Oh, the built in webcam is pretty cool, except my dad thinks that Russians will see us through them (???!!!!!)

Haha. Reminds me of my friend's mom. She won't have a cell phone convo longer than 30 seconds because of "the spies".

I just hope it's powerful enough to play Sim City 4 smoothly after I shell out $75 for it. Stupid expensive Mac games.

Whenever I'm at my parents (who have PCs) I go crazy with the Yahoo! games. Come the end of July I'm sure I'll be Bejewelled and Diner Dashed out.

actually, a dell is a few hundred dollars cheaper for the same stuff macbook. If you price out a 14" 640m at dell it'll be 1150$ and that's with 2gb ram vs. a macbook for 1350$ (student discount) and has 1gb ram. I'ld still go for the mac tho becuase they're just sweet, especially for fun stuff like music and photos and stuff. If you're into serious gaming of business progams i'ld go straight for a pc without blinking an eye tho.

I'ld say for macbook Pro vs. macbook, macbook is a much better deal. The only real advantage to the Pro is that it has a pretty good video card (which is not worth the price imo), but the macbook has a decent one for most stuff. You should know that you can't run final cut 2 (super expensive video editor) on the normal macbook tho becuase of the 'inferior' video card but earlier versions work and i think most simple gaming is fine for it. I'ld suggest if you want to seriously game with some online rpg's or something, don't even bother with the Pro and go for a PC. I actually can't see the Pro ever worth buying considering the price, especially compared to the new upgraded, normal macbooks.

I'ld say, get the white 13" 2.16 Ghz macbook at student discount (1350). If you really care about another 40 gb you can get the black but i don't think its worth it imho. lol, plan to get this exact one in a couple of weeks (hopefully). :D

Well, I don't have anything that's really branded. Mmm, my runners are New Balance because I need additional support for my feet (I think a lack of calcium when I was young twisted my knees a bit)... My spring jacket is Columbia (gift from aunt/dad)... and I have a pair of Clarks sandals ($124 - my Grade 12 'grad' footwear I'm still using)...

My MP3 player is a SanDisk and my laptop is a MacBook. I think those are the only 'branded' things I have. Oh, and I have a USB that's a SanDisk too, I think. Or Memorex. Oh - and my electric piano is a Casio.

Everything else I own is no name or store branded. Yay!

Lol, your computer is the only thing you have branded. Hmm...I dunno why I'm attracted to names. I think I have an electric piano that's also piano.

*enthusiastically high fives aranndil*

I am thinking of getting a laptop, cause it sucks having to bring around my desktop really sucks, but I really don't wanna spend the dollars on a laptop. Plus there are so many laptops to choose from and I don't trust sales associates. That and the fact that I have decided on going through with my $750 dollar MAX budget to buy a laptop this summer. I was gonna go with dell but I keep hearing that Dell laptops are either really good or really garbage so I really don't know. Any ideas anyone?

$750 budget - I'd go with a nice HP, personally. There was a nice one for $700 at Future Shop I was going to get instead of my MacBook.

I've used Dell and it's okay. I love my Mac more though. I hear Dell customer service is going downhill.

Really? HP? That sounds good.

I hear the same about the Dell customer service on Yahoo answers, lol. Apparently, a lot of the service reps are in india and stuff.

I know someone who knows someone else (aka from an unreliable source) that actually CANCELLED their Dell order because they couldn't speak to someone to confirm that their computer had certain specs. My dad's a computer guy and used to swear by Dell but now he encouraged me to get a Mac - sometimes customer service is the most important.

Yeah, I think I may invest in a Mac down in the near future.

for the 2gb question, i'm not sure how easily it is to upgrade it yourself. I hear its pretty complicated with a macbook as opposed to a pc for upgrading ram. its apparently difficult opening it up and there's some fancy stuff you might have to do. If you were going to upgrade the ram, you might have to get apple to do it. I know if you want to upgrade the ram through futureshop, they actually send the comp to apple for them to do it. As for whether its worth it for the ram, it depends on how many different programs you like to run at once. If you need the comp for simple things, 1gb's fine, if you want to do more advanced photo editing like with photoshop, these programs can suck a lot of memory. If you want to edit stuff, while playing music, while talking on msn and facebooking all at the sametime, i'ld think the 2gb upgrade is worth it. It'll also last longer too altho i'm not sure how much considering how fast technology is increasing these days

Well, if you are going to U of M and if I get in next year, I'll be glad to let you try out my MacBook on O-Week :)

Lol, thanks. Well, I dunno about that happening, cause depending on how things go, I may take a 5th year before I apply and plus, since I would be applying to U of M as an OOP, I dunno if I would be the lucky 1/100 OOP.

for the 2gb question, i'm not sure how easily it is to upgrade it yourself. I hear its pretty complicated with a macbook as opposed to a pc for upgrading ram. its apparently difficult opening it up and there's some fancy stuff you might have to do. If you were going to upgrade the ram, you might have to get apple to do it. I know if you want to upgrade the ram through futureshop, they actually send the comp to apple for them to do it. As for whether its worth it for the ram, it depends on how many different programs you like to run at once. If you need the comp for simple things, 1gb's fine, if you want to do more advanced photo editing like with photoshop, these programs can suck a lot of memory. If you want to edit stuff, while playing music, while talking on msn and facebooking all at the sametime, i'ld think the 2gb upgrade is worth it. It'll also last longer too altho i'm not sure how much considering how fast technology is increasing these days

Upgrading RAM on a MacBook is insanely easy. Easiest mechanism I've ever dealt with:

I feel like I'm coming late to the party here, but I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on macbooks.

I got my white macbook a couple months before school started, and I have LOVED it since. I got the 13.3 macbook with an 80 gig hard drive and bought 2 gigs of ram and just put that in myself. I bought it online which I found to be a better deal than any of the boxstores. And what was said is true, it is super easy to put in your own ram, and much cheaper.

There are a very significant number in my class using macs. Since they are so well built and compact, they're great for carrying around to and from class everyday. The size is a huge thing, you'll be carting it back and forth a lot. Customer service is simply amazing, and there's a mac store in Winnipeg. My wireless connections are great, and I've had very few compatability issues. I never bought the office suite and instead use the cheaper iWork. If you want, you could even download an open source program called NeoOffice (free) that will do everything the microsoft package does.

I don't have a desktop anymore, and use my macbook for absolutely everything, including watching TV. It is the quietest laptop I've ever seen, and I'm constantly surprised when I hear the dell fans beside me fire up. The trackpad is massive, and the two finger scrolling function is wonderful. The only thing I use from the iLife suite is iPhoto, which is very well designed. I use it for all my pics. I'm not too sure what Arrandil means about having to use quicktime for pics, since the Preview program is the default for that (Also a great little program with lots of less well known bells and whistles)

I'm trying to think of a con, and finding it a little hard to right now. I guess the speakers could be better, but when I'm at home I plug it into external speakers for my music anyway.

Overall, I think it's the best computer I've ever had. Even just using a macbook, you can tell it's very well built. If you get one, be sure to explore it, there's a lot of little features that are just really neat. And if you ever need help, most mac users are enthusiastic enough about their computers that they'll be more than happy to give you hand.

You will be spending an excessive amount of time with your computer. Make sure you love it.

I got the 13.3 macbook with an 80 gig hard drive and bought 2 gigs of ram and just put that in myself. I bought it online which I found to be a better deal than any of the boxstores. And what was said is true, it is super easy to put in your own ram, and much cheaper.

Upgrading RAM on a MacBook is insanely easy. Easiest mechanism I've ever dealt with:

i stand corrected, maybe my source is on crack. sounds like that's what i'll do

vip, you're probably thinking about the previous generation of mac laptops (ie iBook and powerbook). It was much more labor intensive to upgrade their ram.

Arrandil- I rarely use my cd player at all, but it's always been quiet. The only time I really use it is when I'm importing new music or burning a cd. It's louder when burning, but I still found it within the quiet range...

Yeah, my dvd player works quite nicely as well.

I did just remember a con: I got one of the early macbooks, so I had to deal with the palmrest discolouration issue. I took it into Machelper tho, and they had it replaced within the day.

Ah HA, I've FINALLY figured out who you are.

Archived