Premed 101 Forums

Mature Applicants

Guest Angela

Guest Angela

Hi!

This is a question to anybody that has been in the work force for a while and have decided to apply to med school (hopefully Mayflower can provide some insight) - other than supervisors from work, who can you get reference letters from?

I have some friends who are thinking of applying. The only problem is that after having left school for a few years, it becomes increasingly difficult to get references from profs.

Thanks,

Angela

Guest MayFlower

Hi Angela,

Here is my opinion...and, of course, it's only one person's perspective. I think reference letters can be from a number of sources. If I understand the intent of these letters...it's to get a better idea of your strengths, weaknesses and how you perform on criteria which admissions believe are important to success as a doctor...sure, the whole process is about this...but the reference letter is the only time they try to get this info from someone other than you! Letters can, and perhaps should, come from a variety of sources...school profs, leaders of volunteer organizations, next door neighbours, current or past managers or co-workers, etc.

My reference letters for last year were from the following people: my academic advisor from my masters...a family friend who is a doctor (ophthalmologist) who I have known my entire life and who I have done medical research with...and another friend who graduated from U of O as a family doc. I got an interview with these reference letters.

This year, my letters are from: my academic advisor from my masters...the same family friend (the ophthalmologist) and my next door neighbour (in his 60s and one of our best friends...some things just transcend age).

I wouldn't worry too much about having references from academia...if it's possible to have one...I think that would be good as it can validate your academic work ethic, etc., however, I believe the most important aspect of this is to pick people that really know you well with respect to all aspects of your life (i.e., academic, professional and exctracurricular).

That being said, while I did get an interview, I didn't receive an offer this year... :)

Peter

Another message that you may want to pass on, is that if he/she is applying in Ontario, then the letters really don't matter.

I say this, because I know a lot of people worry about these letters, and it stays on their mind when filling out their application and beyond.... they tend to be distracted and it takes away from the application.

Just get reference letters from people that will make informed answers and that like the candidate (to ensure nothing negative is said).

In the end I doubt a letter will make or break you for an interview.... unless they say something really bad.

Guest TimmyMax

Example of something REALLY bad- a referee that checks the 'no' box in response to the question 'will this person make a good physician?' on the OMSAS reference form. This can be a deal-breaker, so make sure your referees are on your side!

Best of luck!

Tim

Archived