Premed 101 Forums

Verifiers

Guest DHP62

I'm sure these questions have been asked before, but it'll take me way too long to look through the history to find answers...

Regarding verifiers:

1. How do you reference verifiers in the essays? I'm assuming like this: I worked in a group as a camp staff member (1). Where 1 refers to verifier #1 on the verifier list. Is this correct?

2. How do you reference verifiers in the sketch? I'm assuming like this, within the supersmall Description box: Camp counsellor (1). Correct?

3. Who do you put for the name? This sounds silly, but I mean for things like verifying my undergrad education. I want to just put the Registrar's Office, but the app asks for a name (first AND last!). Do I have to call the Registrar's Office to get someone's name in the office? It won't let you enter the verifier without the name. I was going to put Office of the Registrar AS the first name, but this doesn't solve the problem cause I have nothing to put as the second name...ahh!

This application has SERIOUSLY poor instructions...can they make it any more ambiguous?!

Thanks for your help whoever responds :)

Hey,

You are correct in your referencing style. That is exactly how I did mine last year. I just put the number of the verifier in brackets beside the sentence or statement that it applied to. All of the verifiers will have a number beside them in the list when you enter them.

As for the undergrad education. I don't think that I put a verifier for that....they will be getting official transcripts from the institution...that was verification enough for me! I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you still want to have a 'verifier' as such, I would call OMSAS and see what they suggest. Other than that, I guess you could enter "Office of the Registrar" as the first name and "Univesity of X" as the last name....just a thought...but by no means official.

Good luck!

i emailed OMSAS and they told me to verify in the same way that you described. As for the verifiers what I did is whereever I didnt have a name (like the office of the registrar) was break down the title in half and put it as the first and last names. I think it would be kind of silly to actually list the registrar, so I hope it works!! Good luck with your application

Guest MayFlower

Hey Analiz...nice to see you here. I just visited your campus this past weekend...very impressive. It's like a small city! My wife told me that she had some classes that she would always be late for as they were on opposite sides of the campus. Anyway, it looks like a beautiful campus...you guys are very lucky.

Peter

Hey Peter,

The campus is pretty nice here. We are pretty lucky at the moment because almost all of our classes are in the same building (Med sci). The only exceptions are a couple of PCL groups that have to venture down to the London Regional Cancer Centre for their PCL sessions (about a 30 minute bus ride from main campus.) Thankfully my group meets in med sci so I don't have to deal with the evil London transit system!

How goes your application?

Guest MayFlower

TimmyMax...

You're right...I am a bad monkey...I should have looked you up. Actually, we really didn't have a great deal of time...we were at a wedding at the Anderson Farm in St. Thomas and my wife took me around London to show me the campus and where she stayed while she was in her undergrad years. It was really interesting...we passed by the house in which she rented a room...there were a bunch of guys partying on the balcony...we asked if we could have a look through because my wife lived there 10 years ago...they said yes...it was fun...we went through the house and I got to see where she lived while in her undergrad years...we stopped in at one of the local bars for several shooters...then we went home and passed out...we stayed at the Idylwyde inn it was very nice...

next time I'll be sure to give you a heads up so we can go out for a few in the "Big L".

Peter

Guest MayFlower

Hey Aneliz...

The apps are going fine...I'm quite tired and haven't even really thought about med school for the last few days...thanks for reminding me :)

I'm just teasing...things are well...I'm hoping to get some interviews again this year with a successful outcome this time!

Peter

Anyone use one verifier for multiple activities? The application doesn't specify that the verifier must be involved with the activity; rather they simply have to vouch for you. That being the case, I would rather use my mother to verify things such as "competitive dancer" rather than track down my former dance teacher whom I haven't seen in about 8 years. Anyone know the policy on using family/friends as verifiers?? Thanks everyone.

Guest MayFlower1

Tanya,

My guess is that if they don't specify it can't be a family member or friend then it is fine. I believe they just want to ensure that you have someone (other than "myself" and "I") who can vouch for the fact that you did these things as you claim.

Peter

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Tanya. . .

I used the same verifier for pretty much ALL of my High School activities. I'm positive it's okay. The verifiers really are just there to "verify" that you've done the activities you say you did. But I'm not sure whether using a relative (ie a mother) is the best idea. I honestly don't think it would be the end of the world if you did but it is possible it could give the wrong impression depending on who was evaluating your application. I'd recommend looking for someone else who can verify you were a competitive dancer and use your mother as a verifier only if you can't find someone else.

Whoops! Peter - apologies for what I just wrote and have edited out. Not sure if you read it. . . never mind. Thought someone might be posting as "Mayflower1" to make you look bad. . . didn't realize you'd changed your login.

Archived