Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS

Guest JSS02

Looks like the bugs in the COMPASS web application still haven't all been worked out, even after a year. I just received an e-mail saying that they have "received my payment" (?) and my "application will now be processed" (!!!). Although I'm sure they'd gladly take my money, I had more than enough "fun" applying last year. I'm certainly happy enough here at Western to refrain from going through any of that again... :)

lol... After reading that I can't stop thinking about the quote "Behold, I send thee out as sheep amidst the wolves". Hope your year is going well so far JSS02! Western's a great school and it's got a beautiful campus, and though my first choice school is McMaster, Western is definitely a close second (being in my fourth year undergrad at UWO currently). I've had a great undergrad experience that has only gotten so much better this year.

Guest Kirsteen

...and did anyone happen to espy the wee note in red now appearing on the OMSAS site. Looks like they're mighty serious about that deadline this year...

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest MayFlower1

Kirsteen,

I too read the "more serious warning". I actually called OUAC to ensure they had received all the stuff they were supposed to. I talked to them a bit about the deadlines. I was told there still is "a few days" of flexibility around the reference letters/evaluations. I believe the philosophy is that you've asked someone else to do something for you and it's somewhat out of your hands with respect to the exact date they will send it in. It's really worthwhile calling them up (even if you get electronic confirmation) to ensure all is in good order...I learned that they had the wrong e-mail address for me and that one of my evaluations was still not received. Upon following up with the individual I learned that they had sent their evaluation in and that it must have been lost in the mail or something. She's since re-sent the evaluation. Oh...and 'she' isn't my mother :)

Peter

Guest MayFlower1

bad hombre,

The way to do it is to go to the OMSAS website and find the link for contact...the telephone number is listed. Give them a call and they will look up your file and let you know if you're missing anything and, if so, what pieces they still don't have.

Peter

JSS02,

Thinking of trying for a different school??? We're not good enough for you???? :lol Just make sure that those OMSAS clowns don't charge your credit card again if you paid by credit card last year....I imagine that would be the one piece of information that they would be able to store for any length of time and I wouldn't put it past them to charge you again....just a thought!!!

Aneliz

Fortunately, I paid by cheque last year so there's no way they can charge me the $550 yet again. And they finally realized the mistake they made with some 2002 applicants (I know a couple of other people who received the same e-mail), sending us a correction notice apologizing for the error. I'm not sure why they bother keeping our records in the online system anyway...

Guest UWOMED2005

I'm sure there are other legal reasons for them keeping the transcripts as well, but one of the reasons is in case you lied on your application.

Not to make people paranoid, but we were fed a couple of stories last year about people who'd cheated in one form or another to get into medical school only to be caught in 3rd or 4th year. End result: kicked out of medical school.

How much would that suck: tens of thousand dollars in debt, a couple of years of your life wasted, and no chance of ever practicing medicine. I think it would be better to be caught at the application stage then later on. . .

Archived