Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2008 questions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys, what are you doing for activities that are still in progress? I tried to leave the "year, month" fields blank, but it doesn't work. Should I enter October (since it's the OMSAS deadline) or should I enter December 2007, since I plan on continuing these activities into 2008, but there's no 2008 option?

Hey guys, what are you doing for activities that are still in progress? I tried to leave the "year, month" fields blank, but it doesn't work. Should I enter October (since it's the OMSAS deadline) or should I enter December 2007, since I plan on continuing these activities into 2008, but there's no 2008 option?

you have to put the dashes for the end date (---- ----)

Hey guys,

I've been looking at the questions for the individual school submissions, and for a lot of the questions that say something like "describe one area from your background that..."

I was just wondering should we only describe one thing or if more than one experience applies should we describe those ones too, or is that not following the instructions?

Generally, the submissions aren't allowed to be very long. It is probably better to do one example with good detail than to skim a few different details. That's just my opinion though. If you could fit them both in and write good detail about them both, then go for it, I suppose.

What are you guys writing for the Queens submission about the reason you chose your referees? They really don't give you much room, and my submission looks kinda dumb...I basically just wrote smth along the "X was a great supervisor/professor/whatever, I did well in their class/job/whatever, they became a close friend and have stayed so since, and they were supportive/encouraging/whatever" for each one of them. It looks kinda lame, but I really don't have space to write much else! :rolleyes:

I have a few quick questions. This is my first post here, I hope these questions aren't redundant, sorry if they are...

1) For grad students or people involved in research, how are you organizing your research entries in the ABS? I'm not sure if I should use one entry for each "position" that I've had, or one for each project, or one for each publication, etc? Are you listing publications each as seperate entries? Or just give one entry for each research role you've assumed? Here also I run into character limit problems with the description field (see below...)

2) Is it just me or are is the length of description in the ABS almost impossible to work with?? I count 48 characters including spaces, by the time you give a reference number for your verifier in brackets, that leaves 45 characters. This is barely enough to even enter the name of an organization and your title, let alone any description at all of your responisibilities in that role. Sometimes I have to resort to severe abbreviating in order to even fit organization and job title. Am I missing something? Anyone have any advice on how they've dealt with this?

Anyways, thanks for any advice on how you guys have dealth with these issues!

When I did that question I also noted the different aspects of my personality/work ethic/academic abilities that each referee would be able to comment on (ie. work supervisor can comment on interpersonal skills and responsibility) as well as things they/their classes taught me or helped me develop (critical thinking, problem solving, group work, etc).

Hope that gives you a bit of inspiration!

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking - showing how these 3 references will provide a more well-rounded impression of me.

Does anyone know how/where we enter the number of hours we have participated for certain activities in the sketch. ex. I have volunteered at an annual event for many years but it is not accurate to put January, 2002 to present (----) when this accounts for only a day or two per year. What are others doing for this type of activity?

Thanks.

Archived