Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS 2008 questions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least we're not rolling admissions here in Canada.

I havent even touched my Ontario stuff thanks to US secondaries. Sucks to be applying broad.

Yeah, my US secondaries are coming in slowly since I'm not yet verified, so I wanted to get the Canadian applications out of the way. Plus I'm going out of town for about 2 weeks in late August-early September, and while I might finish 2-3 secondaries over that time period, I doubt it'll be much more, so I want to get as much done now as possible.

Yeah, my US secondaries are coming in slowly since I'm not yet verified, so I wanted to get the Canadian applications out of the way. Plus I'm going out of town for about 2 weeks in late August-early September, and while I might finish 2-3 secondaries over that time period, I doubt it'll be much more, so I want to get as much done now as possible.

Ya. Thats a solid strategy. I bet you could do more than 2 secndrs in August, since some q's are common between schools, like why do you want to go to X school, etc.

But working apps just takes so much more time than you set aside for them! :P

Guest copacetic

my mother is a single parent two jobs, and as well i have a much younger sibling (think up and coming toddler) who requires much of my time. lets just say that i've pretty much been a surrogayte father to her, so much so that i never really had time for extra currics, and my marks suffered a little over the past 3 years (the most trying years of a toddlers life). is there anyway i can explain this to the adcom? would they even care? additionally, can i put this is an extracurric or something? it consumes much of time...pretty much all my spare time. any thoughts would bgreatly appreciated.

For a NSERC award is it better to list it under employment, awards and accomplishment, or research in the sketch?

I'm assuming this is a summer or workterm NSERC research award.

I agree with futdoc08hopin. If it were me, I would list the NSERC funding under awards, and then the actual lab/research project separately under research (or employment, if you need to balance things out on that side instead). The NSERC funding is not the actual research itself, so I don't see anything wrong with posting it as a separate award.

Graduate students do this all the time. Your external funding is an award (ie NSERC, OGS, etc), and not the actual research you performed, so you can list the research separately.

Best of luck.

I'm assuming this is a summer or workterm NSERC research award.

I agree with futdoc08hopin. If it were me, I would list the NSERC funding under awards, and then the actual lab/research project separately under research (or employment, if you need to balance things out on that side instead). The NSERC funding is not the actual research itself, so I don't see anything wrong with posting it as a separate award.

Graduate students do this all the time. Your external funding is an award (ie NSERC, OGS, etc), and not the actual research you performed, so you can list the research separately.

Best of luck.

Damn, that's brilliant. Allows me to turn 2 spaces into 4. That makes 15 now! :o

Damn, that's brilliant. Allows me to turn 2 spaces into 4. That makes 15 now! :o

Just make sure you're not double-counting a position as both employment and research. I think there is some room for creativity as to how you present yourself as long as you are consistent and honest!

ps. DiscoDoc as a fellow engineering gradstudent-turned-med, I wish you luck!

Just make sure you're not double-counting a position as both employment and research. I think there is some room for creativity as to how you present yourself as long as you are consistent and honest!

ps. DiscoDoc as a fellow engineering gradstudent-turned-med, I wish you luck!

Thanks Cary_fan! ERTW! :D

Say, how do you find out whether your stuff has been received by OMSAS? That means transcripts, reference letters, and MCAT scores.

I think you can login to the OMSAS page. I know it'll tell you when your reference letters have arrived, I'm not sure about the transcripts though. They will contact you if they don't receive it though.

I read through all 11 pages of this thread and havent found my answer .... quite similar to some re: seperating school and school project ... etc

I am a member of a number of committees that would look good on my application, i.e. Manitoulin Diabetes Network, Diabetes Research Steering Committee etc, however they are work related. My decision has been to add them into the OTHER section and then mention them in the appropriate questions in the School submission sections.

Any suggestions on this one ...?

I will email the schools I am applying to see if this is appropriate but will leave them in those spots as place holders at this point.

Beef

^ I think that is fine to put them in the 'Other' section despite the fact that they are work-related.

For the 48-item sketch verifiers, is it better to have a supervisor or someone with a lot of authority be the verifier for an activity versus someone who you were working with or can just confirm your participation? For a select few of my items, I'm having a hard time contacting the original supervisor as it was a little while ago. Also, just confirming - it is acceptable to have one verifier be able to confirm a number of things, correct?

I think you can login to the OMSAS page. I know it'll tell you when your reference letters have arrived, I'm not sure about the transcripts though. They will contact you if they don't receive it though.

and to add to that, don't be surprised if your 'reference' page is not updated even like 2 weeks from the time the references sent them in.... takes a while apparently for them to update.

^

For the 48-item sketch verifiers, is it better to have a supervisor or someone with a lot of authority be the verifier for an activity versus someone who you were working with or can just confirm your participation? For a select few of my items, I'm having a hard time contacting the original supervisor as it was a little while ago. Also, just confirming - it is acceptable to have one verifier be able to confirm a number of things, correct?

It's fine if the verifyer wasn't in an authority or supervisor position. Of course if you have someone with a higher position like a supervisor or something, it's good to use that, but if not, don't worry about it. I had many friends on my list, for things were there really wasn't a supervisor or anything available. I think the essential is just that they can confirm that you did in fact do what you wrote. And it is fine to use the same person for more than one item.

Cheers!

Archived